[Updated] Nvidia releases a new Titan X GPU called "Titan Xp"

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Could be - I'd personally guess that whether we see the GP100 on a consumer GPU or not entirely depends on the market conditions over the next 6 months. How VEGA high end performs will have a lot to do with the outcome. The other thing to consider is that "officially", Volta is still scheduled for a 2017 launch.

Volta could be pushed back for one reason or another (and if it does, I suspect a GP100 based Titan is more likely), but we have no solid info on that one way or another.

I'll concede that yes, people will get upset over it - regardless of their reasons.

But, in this thread in particular, I question how many people who are mad about it has ever owned any Titan, let alone Titan X Pascal.

Oh, I am not mad myself, well not really.
I have never owned a 'Titan' card and, after today, never will.
IF I were to buy a Titan card it would be only if it were in fact something exclusive and guaranteed to be 'the best card in this chip's generation'. That's the only reason I would be willing to go outside of the price/performance curve by such a huge margin.

I reason that a lot of people feel the same way, and that current Titan owners might have thought something along those lines when doing their purchases. The first generation set the tone with it's 64bit float excess which was ACTUALLY good for non-gaming use cases. Having a cheaper card that performs better in gaming doesn't strip away the exclusivity because there was still something the Titan had that it was best at. That first Titan release set the tone for buyers of what a Titan is and what to expect from it and ever since that first generation it seems Nvidia has done nothing but make Titan cards more and more mainstream.. which was exactly what it wasn't supposed to be. And to add insult to injury they're still asking the same price they managed to get away with the first time around. I reckon they're either not really aware of what 'exclusivity tax' is and how it applies to their Titan series of video cards (ignorance) or they simply don't really care (evil).
I understand they want to sell their best chips but they were already selling the exact same chips with 256less enabled cudacores for THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY.. However gross I might feel about it, I almost feel like it would have made more sense to just keep selling these chips in Titan XP's (with the 256 cores disabled) and just keep the full-chip release of this generation's chip limited to their professional cards.

9 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

But let's be honest, 16nm finfet has been around since 2015, GDDR5x since january 2016, and NVIDIA has a complete stranglehold on the highend market. It's a cash grab.

Can you explain to me how it's a cash grab, because I fail to see how that makes any sense. No one will upgrade from a Titan X(P) or a 1080ti, and the 6% extra cores isn't likely to sway people from the significantly cheaper 1080ti. The only people who will buy the Titan Xp are those that would buy the Titan X(P), in which case this benefits the consumer.

The only reason we probably didn't see a full GP102 Titan from day one is yields likely weren't enough to sustain that AND a Tesla p40.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Can you explain to me how it's a cash grab, because I fail to see how that makes any sense.

No competition for anything above the 1060 means they're free to charge whatever they want. 

Ye ole' train

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

No competition for anything above the 1060 means they're free to charge whatever they want. 

Yes, the Titan in general is a cash grab, but not launching the Titan Xp would have been more of a cash grab. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Remember when nvidia got 4 different cards out of gk110? Now that's milking if I've ever seen it.

On to the topic.

We KNEW titan x 2016 wasn't the full chip prior to its release.That's why I though it was such a poor purchase back then. Nvidia can charge whatever they like for a halo product, the caveat being it needs to be the absolute best possible in that architecture.

Nvidia had to sell the rest of the full gp102's they had stacked up, quadros weren't going to sell enough of them.

Should have been called Titan XP Service Pack 1, since it's just an update to the existing Titan XP.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

4 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I would argue it would have been a cash grab if:

1. They continued to sell Titan X Pascal's at $1200

2. Released the Titan Xp at a higher premium, such as say $1500

But if you look at it from a consumer purchasing a GPU RIGHT NOW (after the press release), anyone who WAS gonna buy the Titan X Pascal is now gonna be like "Shit dude, free upgrade for the same price".

Now, conversely, anyone who bought a Titan X Pascal last week is like "fml kill me now".

But that would have been no different compared to say, the people who bought a GTX 1080 a week before the 1080 Ti press release.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

And how exactly would adding double precision make it less of a "fuck you" (assuming it is a "fuck you" to Titan X(P) owners without it, which it's not)?

Even the full gp102 Quadro And Tesla cards have awful DP performance. It's not until you step up to a gp100 core that you get good DP performance.

Because then it actually has a new feature to warrant releasing a new titan card? I can't believe I even have to explain this.

4 minutes ago, hoboX10 said:

Because then it actually has a new feature to warrant releasing a new titan card? I can't believe I even have to explain this.

I can't believe I actually have to convince someone that releasing a better card for the same price is a good thing.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well with this being a moral disaster it's a perfect opportunity for AMD to step in and show the world how to do it properly O_o

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'll literally just wait for the 1080tixp or the 2080 when volta is released, still maxing games with the 1080 and I do less gaming and more game programming these days.  

I really want to see what Vega can do but it's mainly going to compete with the 1080 not ti but guess we'll have to wait and see until review samples are out. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

11 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I refused to buy the Titan X(piss #1) because it was not the full core; I would assume that there are other people that wait to buy the full core just to ensure that they aren't getting screwed over that generation, like with the Original Titan and now with the Titan X (piss #1).

That doesn't explain how its a cash grab.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, rrubberr said:

I refused to buy the Titan X(piss #1) because it was not the full core; I would assume that there are other people that wait to buy the full core just to ensure that they aren't getting screwed over that generation, like with the Original Titan and now with the Titan X (piss #1).

Or you could just buy it and enjoy the extra performance over anything else on the market until its replacement is released. Or is 9 months of epeen not enough for people?

I dont understand this waiting loop that people do so the dont get "screwed". 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont understand this waiting loop that people do so the dont get "screwed". 

No its just that for high-end gaming year after year the x80 non-Ti cards are the best 'baller' option. You can get the flagship 80 card at release and buy the next gen 80 card when it comes out for the same price as a Titan.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

That doesn't explain how its a cash grab.

People still think its a cash grab if a product is released, or better yet, upgraded almost a YEAR later for the SAME price. 

No one if forcing people to buy the XP if they already have the X(p). Hell its more of a cash grab if the XP wasnt release and the X(p) price was the same almost a year later.

I think we are going to see a pascal refresh from Nvidia this time around instead of a full volta lineup. Its a trend nvidia likes to do. This titan Xp release think we will see roughly the same results when they release the gtx 1170 and 1180. Its going to be a pascal refresh. 

This is just my opinion and its only based on the fact that the Titan Xp has been released. There aint no hard facts. So nothing is set in stone. 

I can see the marketing now: "the new NVIDIA Titan Xp: because no reason."

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

On 08/04/2017 at 3:59 AM, dalekphalm said:

There's a fatal flaw in your logic:

The Titan series has never been "unique" to one card. We're only on generation three of Titan cards, and so far, TWO OUT OF THREE generations have had multiple Titan Cards:

Gen 1: Kepler GK110 cut down - Titan; GK110 full bore - Titan Black

Gen 2: Maxwell GM200 full bore - Titan X Maxwell

Gen 3: Pascal GP102 cut down - Titan X Pascal; GP102 full bore - Titan Xp

So as you can see, anyone who bought a Titan X Pascal because "it's unique" (The LaFerrari argument), was naive and didn't do proper research into their purchase.

I know how it feels to buy something and have something a lot better be released shortly afterwards, but man, c'mon, that's literally every type of retail product ever - ESPECIALLY SO in computer technology. There's always something faster on the horizon.

I think a better angle on this argument is that the cut down Titans in the Kepler line of products were not simply powerful GPU's. The Titan may have been worse than the Titan Black in every regard and have slightly inferior gaming performance compared to the 780ti, but it still had more applications in the way of significantly higher double precision compute.

Fast forward to 2015 where we got the Titan X (no pee), the only fully uncut GM200. It wasn't unique in terms of compute like it's predecessors, but it held the status of being the fully unlocked top of the line GPU for 15 months.

This generation Nvidia released a Titan XP which was not even the highest of their offerings being only GP102 and then had the audacity to release it as a cut down variant only to be trumped by the 1080ti. This has made the Titan XP a completely unremarkable GPU and only 8 months into the cards lifecycle without any competition from AMD.

As a consumer in the market for the Titan Xpeepee you have to ask yourself; do you really have any reason to purchase this card knowing that a better one could quite possibly replace this one in just a few weeks? I can tell you that if the 1080ti is bested by one of AMD's RX Vega offerings you will definitely see a fully unlocked GP102 based GPU for 1080ti price. Additionally, if consumers are accepting of this new practice of Nvidia which constitutes releasing cut down GPU's and then issuing a refresh just a few short months later to try and double dip on people who want more performance, you'll see this practice trickle down to the the next tier of cards.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 hours ago, IceCold008 said:

I think we are going to see a pascal refresh from Nvidia this time around instead of a full volta lineup. Its a trend nvidia likes to do. This titan Xp release think we will see roughly the same results when they release the gtx 1170 and 1180. Its going to be a pascal refresh. 

This is just my opinion and its only based on the fact that the Titan Xp has been released. There aint no hard facts. So nothing is set in stone. 

There actually already has been a bit of a refresh to Pascal with the 1060/1080 coming with faster memory. But I don't see this as a reason to expect a full refresh of Pascal, unless they decide to launch a gp100-basd Pascal card, but that's a computer focused core, so I don't expect that to likely happen.

@Carclis yes the new titans lack decent compute performance, but that's a limitation of the architecture. And the likely reason for a cut down gp102 bases Titan is yields. There is simply no other reason why they would release a cut down card just to release the full core a year later. As for the 1080ti coming out less than a year later, that has historically always been the case.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And the likely reason for a cut down gp102 bases Titan is yields. There is simply no other reason why they would release a cut down card just to release the full core a year later. As for the 1080ti coming out less than a year later, that has historically always been the case.

The reason they raised the price of the Titan X (Pascal) to $1200 is yields. Cutting down the chips on top of that was purely a move based on greed and is part of the reason that their revenue growth was at a 6 year high.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, Carclis said:

The reason they raised the price of the Titan X (Pascal) to $1200 is yields. Cutting down the chips on top of that was purely a move based on greed and is part of the reason that their revenue growth was at a 6 year high.

No, greed and because they could was the reason for the price hike, the yields are what caused the cut down chip..... Otherwise they wouldn't have launched a full gp102 chip at the same price.

And on the topic of greed, nvidia is a company whose goal is to sell their products for the highest price someone is willing to pay. Don't blame nvidia because people happily pay.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No, greed and because they could was the reason for the price hike, the yields are what caused the cut down chip..... Otherwise they wouldn't have launched a full gp102 chip at the same price.

And on the topic of greed, nvidia is a company whose goal is to sell their products for the highest price someone is willing to pay. Don't blame nvidia because people happily pay.

They were able to launch the full GP102 at the same price because it was already expensive enough, the 1080ti launch was able to subsidise the costs and the node has had additional time to mature.

I completely understand that Nvidia is a company which inherently exists for the purpose of turning a profit, but some of their recent moves have been exceptionally anti-consumer to the point of damaging their integrity and brand. That is the reason you'll find people who dislike them and won't have any interest in buying their products at the prices they are selling for. If they continue with this course of action they'll begin to lose the people who best support them by buying Titan X's/1080's at launch.

1 hour ago, Carclis said:

They were able to launch the full GP102 at the same price because it was already expensive enough, the 1080ti launch was able to subsidise the costs and the node has had additional time to mature.

I completely understand that Nvidia is a company which inherently exists for the purpose of turning a profit, but some of their recent moves have been exceptionally anti-consumer to the point of damaging their integrity and brand. That is the reason you'll find people who dislike them and won't have any interest in buying their products at the prices they are selling for. If they continue with this course of action they'll begin to lose the people who best support them by buying Titan X's/1080's at launch.

Which of their recent moves have been exceptionally anti-consumer?