AMD Ryzen has issues with high frequency RAM! - Fix will come in 1-2 months

kladzen
10 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Kinda true and not true where it doesn't really in gaming but in other tasks, possibly...(such as Winrar) 

It matters for gaming lol.  Anything that's CPU intensive will see an improvement from faster RAM.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Do we really trust ASUS on this one?

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

I honestly think this matter more than it's being given credit: Forgetting gaming the launch chips are supposed to compete with high end intel rigs and I would imagine that workstation type loads do response favorably to more ram speed.

This is where I wish we still had ALI, SIS and VIA in the chipset business. Because AMD still can't get them quite right (comparing the IMC of Vishera and 2 different K10 revisions with P45 and Arrandale-I don't know what they hell they've been doing, but the performance is not what it should be at all).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Meh this is to be expected. X99 had issues at launch as well...

They real concern how fast will AMD and the mainboard manufacturers adress these issues?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Who makes new builds with only two slots occupied anyway? Its unacceptable even if it allows 3200+Mhz. This alone justifies the extra $500+ for the i7-6900K. 

I'll be building mine with 2x8gb.  That way I can upgrade the ram if 16gb becomes not enough.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Surely a problem for those who want 64GB of RAM. Much smaller problem for 32GB and less. 

If this is the only problem with ryzen then I say they did well.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

12 hours ago, WereCat said:

Of course not.

But it is not such a big deal as you make it seem by mocking people that pre-ordered it.

people who pre order should be mocked......end of

7 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Yeh but that's Intel, we just gloss over that one.

this is a major launch that was not thats y people care more about this.......

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

7 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

-snip

And thats why you have 70,150 and 250$ motherboards. People expecting every tier to be the same are just delusional. 

Skylake is also the same regarding this, many cant run their ram at spec so you see 3200 mhz ram only being able to run at 2400-2100 mhz. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

So fast mem requires a board that supports it. 

Well that sounds oddly familiar to intel. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I was planning on going with a 2x8GB kit of Trident RGB 3000 RAM anyway, so I guess this isn't really an issue for me. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

The Asus ROG Crosshair VI motherboard does NOT have this problem at all, The fix will NOT take 1 to 2 months. It can be done in 1 to 2 weeks with a competent programming staff. it is not an AMD problem it is the issue of each individual motherboard manufacturer to implement a stable bios. The headline screams of hype and is illegitimate in my view.

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

people who pre order should be mocked......end of

Depends.

If you pre-order digital goods you can't return then yea....

If you pre-order a physical thing which you can return (at least according to law, in my country I can return things within 14-days) then why should I care if there are issues or not? Besides, you don't have to pay in advance.

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Depends.

If you pre-order digital goods you can't return then yea....

If you pre-order a physical thing which you can return (at least according to law, in my country I can return things within 14-days) then why should I care if there are issues or not? Besides, you don't have to pay in advance.

no it doesnt.......pre ordering anythng is stupid.....buying something based on hype alone is stupid

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Just now, jaggysnake57 said:

no it doesnt.......pre ordering anythng is stupid.....buying something based on hype alone is stupid

If you want to find out for yourself before reviews, no.

If you know the risks, but you also know that if there is an issue you can just return it, no.

If you are buying just because of hype, sure, I agree there.

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It matters for gaming lol.  Anything that's CPU intensive will see an improvement from faster RAM.

That is not a true statement. You can have CPU intensive programs with little I/O.

It is rather that many programs are  I/O bound instead of than CPU bound.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

10 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Do we really trust ASUS on this one?

Do we really trust the manufacturer with arguably the best engineers when it comes to memory trace topology and the best automatic timing training to ever exist, when it comes to a memory issue? I'd say yes, we trust them more than any other manufacturer when it comes to this specific issue. 

3 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

That is not a true statement. You can have CPU intensive programs with little I/O.

It is rather that many programs are  I/O bound instead of than CPU bound.

I am going to assume you meant the second part of his statement, where he said "Anything that's CPU intensive will see an improvement from faster RAM". His first part is very true, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I am going to assume you meant the second part of his statement, where he said "Anything that's CPU intensive will see an improvement from faster RAM". His first part is very true, lol. 

It really applies to both. Not that it has to be contradictory with his first statement. 

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

21 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

I get faster due to it being the same price

^^^ This. Sometimes there are just a few dollars in between DDR4-2133 and DDR4-3200 or so. It doesn't have to matter all the time for that to be worthwhile.

Just now, Tomsen said:

It really applies to both. Not that it has to be contradictory with his first statement. 

Well, his statement about faster memory helping with gaming isn't false. Any time CPU overhead is holding the GPU back, faster memory will show an improvement. This has been known for a few years now. 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Well, his statement about faster memory helping with gaming isn't false. Any time CPU overhead is holding the GPU back, faster memory will show an improvement. This has been known for a few years now. 

Well, it isn't absolute truth either, it depends on the exact scenario. Any time CPU overhead (and to precise, it has to be I/O overhead) is holding the GPU back, faster memory will show an improvement. If you are CPU bound, faster memory wont do anything. This has being known for decades now.

7 minutes ago, MageTank said:

But Linus said...

Just now, Tomsen said:

Well, it isn't absolute truth either, it depends on the exact scenario. Any time CPU overhead (and to precise, it has to be I/O overhead) is holding the GPU back, faster memory will show an improvement. If you are CPU bound, faster memory wont do anything. This has being known for decades now.

You are nitpicking. In the context of gaming, CPU overhead is I/O overhead. You can easily test any game you wish, that has the CPU holding the GPU back. Even MMO's show drastic improvements with faster memory, and they are notoriously "CPU bound". 

No need to be bashful against a simple point. Depending on ones setup, and the specific application involved, faster memory can be a serious boon. I can name several titles that can see even a 20% boost in minimum framerates from faster memory alone depending on ones setup.