AMD Ryzen has issues with high frequency RAM! - Fix will come in 1-2 months

kladzen
6 hours ago, Tomsen said:

That is because people use the wrong terminologies. You are not CPU bound if faster memory yield any major performance increase, you are I/O bound.

Same as above.

Well that's a pretty big discovery for me... seems the tech industry is rampant with people calling things the wrong thing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, Tomsen said:

That is because people use the wrong terminologies. You are not CPU bound if faster memory yield any major performance increase, you are I/O bound.

Same as above.

You are CPU bound as the CPU can't process instructions fast enough, and has to start queuing everything into system memory-thus the more bandwidth+lower the latency the better. And if in the same situation people were I/O bound, they wouldn't see a performance increase upgrading to a more powerful CPU without upgrading the RAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, MageTank said:

-snip-

Memory bandwidth helps if the CPU can't process instructions fast enough with its cache isn't big or fast enough to store them, and it ends up having to queue them into system memory. That's what is seen in the videos.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is the most ridiculous nonsense panic news ever. Who the heck cares about this? First, if you're buying a new PC, you wont buy 4 RAM sticks anyway (going beyond 16GB is nonsense). Then, anyone with a brain, knows, that RAM clock speeds (beyond the standard JEDEC clock speeds) are ridiculous unimportant since DDR3. The difference between DDR4 2166MHz and 3200MHz is like 0-2%. And all those people commenting things like "great now Ryzen is fu****" are so ... PC RAM clock speeds arent any bottleneck anymore since now, what, 10 years? DDR4 could run at 1600MHz any may still be same as fast. DDR3 1600 vs 2100 is same as fast, 0-2%.

4 minutes ago, trolo said:

This is the most ridiculous nonsense panic news ever. Who the heck cares about this? First, if you're buying a new PC, you wont buy 4 RAM sticks anyway (going beyond 16GB is nonsense). Then, everyone with a brain, knows, that RAM clock speeds (beyond the standard JEDEC clock speeds) are ridiculous unimportant since DDR3. The difference between DDR4 2166MHz and 3200MHz is like 0-2%. And all those people commenting things like "great now Ryzen is fu****" are so ...

I must not have a brain then, because memory speed clearly matters for gaming depending on the game and your setup. Your information is antiquated.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 2/26/2017 at 1:13 AM, LAwLz said:

Again, DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING SAID ON /r/AMD!

THE PEOPLE THERE ARE 100% FINE WITH LYING TO MAKE AMD LOOK BETTER.

It is a forum full of AMD fanboys. It is one of the least trustworthy places you can go to get AMD news.

And why exactly should I trust you or some bloke from OCUK? For all I know you and them could very well be an Intel fanboys trying to spread misinformation.
Which is why I said -- "I'll wait until some professional websites do some thorough reviews regarding the RAM speeds and compatibility."
What part of that statement was hard for you to understand? :dry:

3 minutes ago, blackmambo said:

And why exactly should I trust you or some bloke from OCUK? For all I know you and them could very well be an Intel fanboys trying to spread misinformation.
Which is why I said -- "I'll wait until some professional websites do some thorough reviews regarding the RAM speeds and compatibility."
What part of that statement was hard for you to understand? :dry:

Because it's not just some person on OCUK saying it. It's motherboard manufacturers when they list RAM compatibility too.

But yes, it is best to wait for independent reviews, and to not under any circumstances pre-order.

Yeah that's what I'm saying wait it out till some independent reviews are out then make a call. And the product isn't even released yet. Also, Gigabyte posted a BIOS update, possibly addressing the memory issues. So the whole "will take 1 or 2 months" statement seems a bit far-fetched.

My problem is with people fueling rumors based on 1 source before a product even launches, and everyone goes batshit crazy right away! IIRC -- same problems happened with X99 based processors at launch as well. Didn't see that much of an issue being made about it, which is funny when you compare it to how people are outright berating Ryzen before its even released. :dry:

2 hours ago, blackmambo said:

IIRC -- same problems happened with X99 based processors at launch as well. Didn't see that much of an issue being made about it, which is funny when you compare it to how people are outright berating Ryzen before its even released. :dry:

My X99 Deluxe had so many issues for well over 6 months after getting it; and I waited two months after it's release to get it.

Took over three month before I could run my RAM at 2400Mhz without having random reboot issues; and this was despite BIOS updates to improve XMP, and Memory support. Even then it still had issues, and the board didn't even support 16GB DIMMS until June of 2015.
Simply going through the downloads page for the BIOS shows so many issues that had to be addressed since launch; with memory being there quite a few times.

https://www.asus.com/ie/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/

If RyZen's biggest issue is XMP certified RAM running on AMD's brand new platform on launch at speeds up to 2400Mhz, it's better off than the X99 launch was for many people.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

On 2/24/2017 at 0:21 PM, AresKrieger said:

Not really (cas letency part), and it does depend on the game whether ram speed will be a big boost or not, Fallout 4 for example give you big gains while something like Witcher probably doesn't (CPU intensive titles are generally more % improvement)

@ZeusXI I edited my comment as it was unclear what I was saying not really to

I can confirm it does matter in Witcher 3 if you have an older CPU than Haswell

23 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I can confirm it does matter in Witcher 3 if you have an older CPU than Haswell

MSI are advertising Memory speeds increase FPS; and they're using the Witcher 3 as an example as well.
This is on the B350M motherboard as well, not the top X370 chipset.

https://msi.com/Motherboard/B350M-GAMING-PRO.html#productFeature-section

bqG0cRK.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

14 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

MSI are advertising Memory speeds increase FPS; and they're using the Witcher 3 as an example as well.

Not sure about those benchmarks but they are using Ryzen so it could have different results than Intel. The main benefit that normally doesn't get shown is a higher minimum frame rate.

On 24/02/2017 at 5:10 PM, MeDownYou said:

OH NO! you mean i have to go into bios and set ram to lower speeds for a month or just not set XMP profile for a month, how infuriating that they are probably working on getting a fix for this before launch and early adopters should expect flawlessness 

/s

Actually you should

3 hours ago, blackmambo said:

Also, that MSI info-graph is LITERALLY the same when you check their manual for Intel mobos! xD

Hide contents

C5YWOI5WYAElMSn.jpg

Source for the image above.

5 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Not at all surprising.  Truthful or not, MSI has been the king of misleading advertising for a long time now.  Just check any of their laptop product pages and you'll see the whole spectrum, from implying large changes in some number equate to actual measurable performance differences of the same degree when in reality they most certainly do not, to charts intended to show a percent difference being chopped way up the y-axis to make a 10% improvement look like 50%.  I think they only get away with it because they actually do make good stuff.  But please for the love of god, I wish they would get their marketing act together...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:03 PM, bgibbz said:

RIP. AMDs long awaited launch has a critical flaw, sounds like every single game company out there. 

Your goofy Intel has the same type of things on launches it is very common.

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not at all surprising.  Truthful or not, MSI has been the king of misleading advertising for a long time now.  Just check any of their laptop product pages and you'll see the whole spectrum, from implying large changes in some number equate to actual measurable performance differences of the same degree when in reality they most certainly do not, to charts intended to show a percent difference being chopped way up the y-axis to make a 10% improvement look like 50%.  I think they only get away with it because they actually do make good stuff.  But please for the love of god, I wish they would get their marketing act together...

Let's not forget that disaster of a "M.2 Heatsink" they attached to their boards, that resulted in even higher temperatures. That thing served as a heat trap, instead of heatsink, lol. 

@Ryan_Vickers -- Yes, and which brings us back to the actual point at hand -- better off waiting for independent reviews instead of trusting companies(and their marketing material) and random people on the internet.
And that is why I'm upset coz Linus "unprofessionally" decided to fuel that rumor, and now plenty of people are right away assuming that the memory can't even run at higher speed even if 2 slots are populated, and blowing it out of proportion. Which (take it with a grain of salt) doesn't seem to be the case:

54 minutes ago, blackmambo said:

@Ryan_Vickers -- Yes, and which brings us back to the actual point at hand -- better off waiting for independent reviews instead of trusting companies(and their marketing material) and random people on the internet.
And that is why I'm upset coz Linus "unprofessionally" decided to fuel that rumor, and now plenty of people are right away assuming that the memory can't even run at higher speed even if 2 slots are populated, and blowing it out of proportion. Which (take it with a grain of salt) doesn't seem to be the case:

What in the heavens is that ram?!? They even dared to hashtag it as "MemoryOverclockMonday"? 3400 C18-17-17-37-1. If this is the best their overclockers can do, consider my ship abandoned, lol. 

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

What in the heavens is that ram?!? They even dared to hashtag it as "MemoryOverclockMonday"? 3400 C18-17-17-37-1. If this is the best their overclockers can do, consider my ship abandoned, lol. 

That is actually rather sad. I recognize that DIMM anywhere, the G.Skill Trident Z; that brand generally have XMP profiles much faster than 3400CL18, such as 3200CL14. Hell, even "budget" memory is faster than this at 3400CL16. It appears that they have downclocked the sticks rather than overclock them.

From first glance, it appears those hoodwinked by the Ryzen hype (AMD fanboys and otherwise) have fallen for this misleading advertising hook line and sinker.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Just now, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

That is actually rather sad. I recognize that DIMM anywhere, the G.Skill Trident Z; that brand generally have XMP profiles much faster than 3400CL18, such as 3200CL14. Hell, even "budget" memory is faster than this at 3400CL16. It appears that they have downclocked the sticks rather than overclock them.

From first glance, it appears those hoodwinked by the Ryzen hype (AMD fanboys and otherwise) have fallen for this misleading advertising hook line and sinker.

Reading the twitter comments, you can see one of ASUS's engineers celebrating this and mentioning DOCP (AMD's version of XMP) meaning that this is not a manually tuned kit. While this makes me feel slightly better, it still speaks volumes to how inferior Ryzen's IMC actually is. I seriously hope they get this fixed within the next couple months. Memory overclocking is probably my favorite thing to do, and if it's going to be this lackluster, I can't see myself enjoying it. 

21 hours ago, trolo said:

This is the most ridiculous nonsense panic news ever. Who the heck cares about this? First, if you're buying a new PC, you wont buy 4 RAM sticks anyway (going beyond 16GB is nonsense). Then, anyone with a brain, knows, that RAM clock speeds (beyond the standard JEDEC clock speeds) are ridiculous unimportant since DDR3. The difference between DDR4 2166MHz and 3200MHz is like 0-2%. And all those people commenting things like "great now Ryzen is fu****" are so ... PC RAM clock speeds arent any bottleneck anymore since now, what, 10 years? DDR4 could run at 1600MHz any may still be same as fast. DDR3 1600 vs 2100 is same as fast, 0-2%.

Yeah just like bill gates said that you never needed more than 640KB of ram because else it was poorly coded... trust me, for content creation (video editing, large photoshop files) you'll fill op 16GB in a minute. And because Ryzen 8c16th is really good at content creation because it is something that works well with many cores/threads it is important to support lots of ram.
And as some had mentioned that ram can have an influence more than 5% it's nice to know that your dollars won't go down the drain and to know that you can gain speed with faster ram. Therefore support for faster ram is important maybe more in the future than today and you don't go out and spend hundreds of dollars just to replace it half a year later, especially in business situation.

On 26/02/2017 at 6:05 PM, Valentyn said:

A very interesting post regarding Ryzen and its memory bandwidth over at OcUK

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30542496/

If what you say is true we should do as many say:
"Wait just 24 little hours and see what the professional reviews will tell us!"

It can either be no issue at all or means that AMD can file for bankruptcy but we can't say much based on feelings and emotions, I WANT NUMBERS! Don't write of AMD because of potential bad news and don't praise them as your lord Gabben without proof.

1 hour ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

#MemoryUnderclockAndMisleadFanboysMonday

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Reading the twitter comments, you can see one of ASUS's engineers celebrating this and mentioning DOCP (AMD's version of XMP) meaning that this is not a manually tuned kit. While this makes me feel slightly better, it still speaks volumes to how inferior Ryzen's IMC actually is. I seriously hope they get this fixed within the next couple months. Memory overclocking is probably my favorite thing to do, and if it's going to be this lackluster, I can't see myself enjoying it. 

I really hope so too or it won't just be a bore for overclockers... it could limit performance overall and hurt sales.

>Current year

>running below 3K 

plebs, absolute plebs.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

Just saw that Biostar has memory support for 3600 mhz kits with the amd ryzen..

Biostar x370 gt7 - http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=874#memorysupport

Search for kit:  F4-3600C17D-8GVK