ValvE will kill STEAM GreenLight this spring, to be replaced with new program

source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-removing-steam-greenlight-this-spring

source 2: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

SteamLogo.png

"Right now the system of Greenlight, as a way of bringing your game to Steam, inherently has a bunch of unpredictability in it," said Valve's Aiden Kroll at a media roundtable attended by Eurogamer at the company's Bellevue, Washington headquarters.

"As a developer, I post my game to Greenlight [and] I don't know how long it's going to take until my game is greenlit," he added. "So it makes it hard for me as a developer. Am I going to be able to release on date X? When should I start spinning up any community outreach? When should I start talking to the press about my game? As soon as there's some amount of unpredictability in that process it makes a bunch of other things much more difficult for developers."

it appears that ValvE's new policy is to remove the GreenLight voting and the 100$ fee / developer to just a fee for every game published

the fee will be anywhere between 100 and 5000 USD

The next step in these improvements is to establish a new direct sign-up system for developers to put their games on Steam. This new path, which we’re calling “Steam Direct,” is targeted for Spring 2017 and will replace Steam Greenlight. We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, which is intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline.

While we have invested heavily in our content pipeline and personalized store, we’re still debating the publishing fee for Steam Direct. We talked to several developers and studios about an appropriate fee, and they gave us a range of responses from as low as $100 to as high as $5,000. There are pros and cons at either end of the spectrum, so we’d like to gather more feedback before settling on a number. 

---

if the fee is big enough, it might be a good enough deterrent for troll submission; but on the other hant it could hurt developers who don't have the money to pony up

one idea would be to refund the fee once the game passes certain conditions

Edited by zMeul

inb4 chinese mmo shitstorm. Help

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Its "Valve", and "Steam", not "ValvE" or "STEAM", or "VaLVe" or "StEaM", or any other variations.

someones salty that they were not the first to post this :^)

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, Mohenjo said:

someones salty that they were not the first to post this :^)

or maybe just making sure he and people that read this know valve owns steam and not steam and valve are two different companies.....

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is "Valve" and "Steam", not "ValvE" or "STEAM", or "VaLVe" or "StEaM", or any other variations.

it's VALVE, but I can't do that in the title so I took some liberties .. sue me ^_^

2 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

or maybe just making sure he and people that read this know valve owns steam and not steam and valve are two different companies.....

it was a joke...

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is "Valve" and "Steam", not "ValvE" or "STEAM", or "VaLVe" or "StEaM", or any other variations.

This, stop writing them wrong intentionally.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

it's VALVE, but I can't do that in the title so I took some liberties .. sue me ^_^

Image result for valve logo

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

That is their styled logo, but if you check the actual text form it is simply, and boringly: Steam and Valve. Anyway, it's fine, just wanted to point it out.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

For some reason he likes to do that for every brand: nVidia, eVGA, etc. ¯\_( ͠° ͟ʖ °͠ )_/¯

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If it pushes away games like GabeN: The Final Decision, Temper Tantrum and Winter Sale on the store, it'd be alright.

If it brought in more shit like that, welp.

Although, I think games like Goat Simulator and the like should continue coming as long as they're really comedic to play.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Although, I think games like Goat Simulator and the like should continue coming as long as they're really comedic to play.

Yeah, if the game was made to be fun but also intended to be broken, like you said, Goat Simulator, then it's definitely not bad. I Am Bread seems to be another one of those games that took advantage of being an indie-like game, or at least being on Steam Greenlight.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, if the game was made to be fun but also intended to be broken, like you said, Goat Simulator, then it's definitely not bad. I Am Bread seems to be another one of those games that took advantage of being an indie-like game, or at least being on Steam Greenlight.

I keep meaning to play that - I got it in a humble bundle a while back I think and haven't touched it since.

Greenlight has become a laughing stock so this is a welcome announcement, now whether the replacement is actually good remains to be seen

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

This is a good move. Shame it didn't happen sooner.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

57 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am quite sure it is vALVE and sTEAM if you have caps-lock enabled.

1 hour ago, frozeNNN said:

Steam needs competition. Like real one,not something like Origin and uPlay

Battle.net :3

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I hope the submission cost is between 750-1000 that would still make it financially accessible but too much money for those who just want to flood the market with shit.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Battle.net :3

Blizzard is occupied with adding more FaceBook integration into Battle.Net ... like wtf!?

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Blizzard is occupied with adding more FaceBook integration into Battle.Net ... like wtf!?

Haha yeah... no 'invisible' status yet though...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |