THUMBNAILS ON YT VIDEOS!

access denied
1 minute ago, NoNamer12345 said:

Wait, what? I am sorry but I didn't mention this before. I have never seen another thread like this one complaining about this topic.

Really? This has been a hot topic lately and there are plenty of threads about this.

-KuJoe

50 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

That tiny image defines the owner of the video. He wouldn't put it there in the first place if he was professional.

no it don't.

51 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

You can comment about your opinion. No rude comments here on this thread. Hence why I blocked idiots who would come here and scream at me by saying what I did. I find their thumbnails childish and idiotic and that's why I made this thread.

you sound like a child yelling bleh bleh bleh really loud just cause someone is saying something you don't want to hear

46 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

That's the thing, they don't care about viewers enjoying them. All they care about is the ad revenue.

WRONG!

15 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

Wait, what? I am sorry but I didn't mention this before. I have never seen another thread like this one complaining about this topic.

thats cause you're lazy and cant be fucked to seach.

33 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

What about my energy with which I click the skip ad button? Think before you speak, every single view gives LTT money.

no that's not how it works. you should think before you type.

28 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

And LTT isn't the only channel with which LMG gains money. Techquickie and ChannelSuperFun channel revenue also goes to them if you didn't forget. And you clearly don't understand about the YT monetization which gets him money. Before I thought the monetization was worth his videos, now I don't. I am sorry but you are defending a channel which has started to clickbait. If I wanted to get clickbaited, I would go watch GTA V YTers.

wait whats the point of this post? no shit they want to make money. they have to feed their kids.

1 minute ago, mad dudy said:

no it don't.

you sound like a child yelling bleh bleh bleh really loud just cause someone is saying something you don't want to hear

WRONG!

thats cause you're lazy and cant be fucked to seach.

no that's not how it works. you should think before you type.

wait whats the point of this post? no shit they want to make money. they have to feed their kids.

Now you are defending a channel which is clickbaiting. Now if you excuse me, I have better things to do.

1 minute ago, NoNamer12345 said:

Now you are defending a channel which is clickbaiting. Now if you excuse me, I have better things to do.

How dare Linus try to run a successful business that we are forced to enjoy all of the content for free, FOR SHAME!!!!!!!! xD

-KuJoe

7 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

once again WRONG!

i have every right to defend something i like. if you don't like the channel

1. make a thread and rant. (check)

2. argue with people about your wrong and uninformed opinions while still being wrong(check) 

3. leave and never come back (pending)

4. waste more of your own time (check)

2 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

once again WRONG!

i have every right to defend something i like. if you don't like the channel

1. make a thread and rant. (check)

2. argue with people about your wrong and uninformed opinions while still being wrong(check) 

3. leave and never come back (pending)

4. waste more of your own time (check)

Sooner or later you gotta realize one thing, LTT isn't life. Now how am I even supposed to disable e-mail notifications?!

2 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

i have every right to defend something i like. 

Well,  son,  I'm sorry to tell you this... Everything you said can backfire on you.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

Sooner or later you gotta realize one thing, LTT isn't life. Now how am I even supposed to disable e-mail notifications?!

Unfollow

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

17 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

Well,  son,  I'm sorry to tell you this... Everything you said can backfire on you.

you have a point. then again i'm only here to waste my time.

Imagine you're in a restaurant and someone stands up and starts complaining to everyone, "The service here is horrible.  We should all get up and leave to show our displeasure!"  What does everyone else do? ... they hope the person will get over it or leave the restaurant, so they can go back to enjoying their meal.

Imagine you're in a movie theater and someone stands up and starts complaining to everyone, "This movie sucks.  The last one was much better.  We should all leave and ask for our money back!"  What does everyone else do? ... they hope security will remove the person so they can go back to watching the movie.

Imagine you're in a forum for a youtube channel and someone stands up ...

Just saying ...

2 minutes ago, Zeras said:

Imagine you're in a restaurant and someone stands up and starts complaining to everyone, "The service here is horrible.  We should all get up and leave to show our displeasure!"  What does everyone else do? ... they hope the person will get over it or leave the restaurant, so they can go back to enjoying their meal.

Imagine you're in a movie theater and someone stands up and starts complaining to everyone, "This movie sucks.  The last one was much better.  We should all leave and ask for our money back!"  What does everyone else do? ... they hope security will remove the person so they can go back to watching the movie.

Imagine you're in a forum for a youtube channel and someone stands up ...

Just saying ...

Start throwing pop corn at them, buttery stainy pop corn.

3 hours ago, NoNamer12345 said:

And LTT isn't the only channel with which LMG gains money. Techquickie and ChannelSuperFun channel revenue also goes to them if you didn't forget.

CSF is pretty much zero gain still. And YT monetazion is probably least of the money they gain per video. Its the views they are after. Sponsors look at how many times video has been seen.

3 hours ago, NoNamer12345 said:

They might be clickbaiting, but not false advertising yet, as you see with many more teen oriented channels do.

Them being for teen viewers has been a thing for really long time. I just watched Mineral Oil build, and I haven't had so many facepalm moments with them in a while.

But the content is still free unless you pay YT Red or Floatplane. There's no point talking about how much you pay for connection or spend time watching. It's still free for you, ISPs don't buy content like TV channels or cable companies do.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, NoNamer12345 said:

What about my energy with which I click the skip ad button? Think before you speak, every single view gives LTT money.

I wonder if you meant something different here... Because if I am to take your post as a literal statement, then you clearly do not understand how the YouTube Ad system works.

When you click "Skip Ad", in most cases, the channel does NOT get credit for the ad.

A Channel will get credit for an ad under the following circumstances:

1. You watch the entire ad

2. You watch at least 30 seconds of an ad before clicking "skip"

If an ad is shorter than 30 seconds, and features a "Skip Ad" button, you must watch the entire ad for them to get credit for your view. If an ad is longer than 30 seconds, you may click "Skip Ad" after 30 seconds has passed, for them to get credit for your view.

Do you understand? If you immediately click the "Skip Ad" button, the moment it becomes available (5 seconds after start of ad playback, FYI), then you might has well have not watched any part of the ad at all. If you do this, you might as well just install AdBlock right now and save yourself the trouble.

FYI, I agree about the Thumbnails and Titles. Though I must acknowledge, they are actually improving. The thumbs are still ridiculous, but much less than a couple of weeks ago. The titles are hit or miss, but a lot of them are getting better. They even did a few reviews where the product name was in the title! That's a vast improvement over some of the really bad titles.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2/5/2017 at 0:02 PM, Enderman said:

I don't think someone who complains and stops watching because they dislike a tiny image on the screen for the 1 second you see it can be called a "fan".

To be fair their entire production quality has really decreased since they started doing the click-bait thumbnails.

53 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

To be fair their entire production quality has really decreased since they started doing the click-bait thumbnails.

Uh, most of the people I talk to started saying that long before the thumbnails were changed.

So no, I don't think those two are related.

Making those new thumbnails is just a new way to attract viewers, just like when they started putting white text on the thumbnails a long time ago because it works.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Uh, most of the people I talk to started saying that long before the thumbnails were changed.

So no, I don't think those two are related.

Making those new thumbnails is just a new way to attract viewers, just like when they started putting white text on the thumbnails a long time ago because it works.

I'll put it this way, I agree their video quality has dropped from say a year ago. But the past two months it took a serious nose dive.

Yes I'm aware of that but the previous thumbnails were at least more relevant to the video, and seriously there's no real need for a clickbait title or thumbnail. The growth they're seeing is normal for a larger channel, not because of a design change that they think it is.

I have been going back watching a lot of LTT videos and the only real difference I have noticed is with the sets and maybe Linus is a little more animated now.  In the past, it looked more like infomercial sets and now it looks more like real world tech environments.  Personally, I like the more warehouse-focused sets as they seem more relatable to me.  When I see a clean-cut or infomercial looking set when reviewing a product it comes across as more of a promotional video to me than honest review.

I understand the thumbnails bother people, but in business, you go with results, not preferences, even when you're the owner.  I wish the titles were a little more descriptive, but I am watching every new LTT video regardless so it really doesn't matter for me personally. :)

20 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'll put it this way, I agree their video quality has dropped from say a year ago. But the past two months it took a serious nose dive.

Yes I'm aware of that but the previous thumbnails were at least more relevant to the video, and seriously there's no real need for a clickbait title or thumbnail. The growth they're seeing is normal for a larger channel, not because of a design change that they think it is.

You should take a look at their stats....

The past two months have been the biggest numbers the channel has ever seen, by nearly 200%...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You should take a look at their stats....

The past few months have been the biggest numbers the channel has ever seen.

As it typically goes during the holiday season..

7 minutes ago, Zeras said:

I have been going back watching a lot of LTT videos and the only real difference I have noticed is with the sets and maybe Linus is a little more animated now.  In the past, it looked more like infomercial sets and now it looks more like real world tech environments.  Personally, I like the more warehouse-focused sets as they seem more relatable to me.  When I see a clean-cut or infomercial looking set when reviewing a product it comes across as more of a promotional video to me than honest review.

I understand the thumbnails bother people, but in business, you go with results, not preferences, even when you're the owner.  I wish the titles were a little more descriptive, but I am watching every new LTT video regardless so it really doesn't matter for me personally. :)

yeah but LTT has engaged in relatively indepth videos before... such as the gsync vs freesync lag video they did, when they were still in that house. also they've done plenty of infomercial-looking videos recently. a couple that were literally paid sponsors, or seemingly felt commercial, such as the RGB RAM video

I have personally gotten cancer from a few of our own thumbnails.
Yes, some of em are bad. I aint naming names.

But we have to do some experimentation before we can settle down into a nice routine and consistent look.

Go look at Austin's thumbnails: https://www.youtube.com/user/duncan33303/videos I think he does a really good job. Lots of pastels. There's certainly a "look" to them.

I've been experimenting with the use of pure white as a 'background' to make the subject pop out...

Also vignettes...

Also colorizing the background to make the subject stand out more... that one seems to work pretty well, and it also pretty simple and easy to do.

I'm pretty proud of the Wave 2.0 thumbnail,

since it IS quite colorful and clickable, but also summarizes the review itself ("it's trash.") and sticks with the spirit of the review. This one was Linus' idea.

I've made it a point to try and stop us from making an : O  face for every thumbnail. That gets old quick.

WHY AM I EVEN IN THIS THREAD

HELLO PEOPLE.

29 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

yeah but LTT has engaged in relatively indepth videos before... such as the gsync vs freesync lag video they did, when they were still in that house. also they've done plenty of infomercial-looking videos recently. a couple that were literally paid sponsors, or seemingly felt commercial, such as the RGB RAM video

The length of the videos may play into any real or perceived lack of depth.  I was talking with another youtube channel creator recently and he pointed out that he found that his videos had more views and longer watch times when he kept them around 8 to 10 minutes.  When he made 20 minute videos, his views went down and the people who did watch them spent less time watching them.  Now, I'm not saying this is the case as LTT has access to stats we don't, but stats like that could play into it.

When I am researching several products to see which one I should buy, I tend to look for shorter and more to-the-point reviews rather than in depth reviews.  Once I narrow down my selection to one or two products, that's when I want more in depth reviews to help me decide.  If I can find an A-vs-B video, it's even better.  That said, it would be hard for one channel to offer both quick reviews, in depth reviews and A-vs-B, B-vs-C, A-vs-C, etc. videos of the same products.  The best you can hope for is that they decide to do the in depth reviews on the products you are most interested in.  The more obscure the product, the less likely that will be though.

As for the RGB Memory, I can see your point that it did seem a little more promotional than a review.  The whole time I was watching the video, the question I kept wondering was, ".. but how do they perform compared to other memory?"  Of course, part of that is the fact that I care nothing about RGB lighting.  However, I think the main focus of the video was to appeal to the RGB fans/addicts who would love a chance to add RGB lighting memory to their setup.

16 minutes ago, TaranLMG said:

But we have to do some experimentation before we can settle down into a nice routine and consistent look.

Which is exactly how you improve things!

16 minutes ago, TaranLMG said:

Why are any of us in this thread? :)

38 minutes ago, TaranLMG said:

I have personally gotten cancer from a few of our own thumbnails.
Yes, some of em are bad. I aint naming names.

Go look at Austin's thumbnails: https://www.youtube.com/user/duncan33303/videos I think he does a really good job. Lots of pastels. There's certainly a "look" to them.

I've been experimenting with the use of pure white as a 'background' to make the subject pop out...

Also vignettes...

Also colorizing the background to make the subject stand out more... that one seems to work pretty well, and it also pretty simple and easy to do.

I'm pretty proud of the Wave 2.0 thumbnail,

-snipperooni-

since it IS quite colorful and clickable, but also summarizes the review itself ("it's trash.") and sticks with the spirit of the review. This one was Linus' idea.

I've made it a point to try and stop us from making an : O  face for every thumbnail. That gets old quick.

HELLO PEOPLE.

Legitimately very good response, and really nice to hear from some of the production staff on the matter.

At least you guys realize that its gotten out of hand with a few of them, and the over all trend is starting to sour some of the fanbase.

Also, even if its just you my dude, hearing that you're trying to find a median between pure cancer and something that still looks professional to boot is nice to hear. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||