Spotify has (potentially) been killing your hard drive

Rune

Ouch after having a look for myself, you are right. Spotify has been quietly destroying my SSD :( guess that app will remain closed except for when I absolutely need it

5 hours ago, Rune said:

So, I've been using Pandora simply because I don't like how Spotify looks. It appears that was a correct decision. Later on in the article, they state that this will be fixed in a soon to be coming update, but I don't think that excuses them from having to deal with the hardware they have already potentially killed. Who knows how many devices have already failed?

Source here: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/for-five-months-spotify-has-badly-abused-users-storage-drives/

Does this affect offline usage? On my laptop I've not used it too much online.

Also, does this affect everybody or just those who have downloaded for offline listening?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Does this affect offline usage? On my laptop I've not used it too much online.

Also, does this affect everybody or just those who have downloaded for offline listening?

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I can tell this effects anyone who has the spotify client installed and running on their machine regardless of network connectivity.

I don't run Spotify myself, though my sister does on my laptop. Due to administration privilege and whatnot, she is confined to the Web player (and a 20 GB slice of SSD). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, pyromaniac said:

You need to chill bro...

lol I don't think he said anything that wasn't chill

I can confirm that the new 1.0.42 update which fixes this is NOW available.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Is this the reason why my SSD went retard?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

16 hours ago, theninja35 said:

They owe me money for a new SSD.

They do not. Read their ToS.

doesnt affect me since i have an old version, ive prevented it from updating :D

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Fucking spotify.....

Last time i checked i was about 1.1Tb then 5 months later i get this 

hj1URk8.png

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

6 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

buy my music from retailers where more money goes to the artists

*only if self published, else almost nothing goes to the artists 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

19 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

*only if self published, else almost nothing goes to the artists

Indeed, record labels only pay the artists about 15-25% of what they receive from the online retailer. 

Funnily enough, they pay the artist 50% of what they get from CD sales (which is roughly the same as from digital downloads). 

So if you want to support the artist, buy CDs instead of MP3s.  You get better quality sound, have a physical copy to rip again and again if you lose your files or if they go corrupt (good luck downloading a song 3 times on iTunes) and if you shop around a bit it's often cheaper than buying the whole album digitally.  It's a win-win-win situation really.

It's also important where you buy or sell.  The big stores (7digital, Google Play, iTunes etc) typically take a 30-ish percent cut, but Bandcamp for instance only takes 15% on digital music, 10% on CDs and merch. 

Anyway, on topic :

@Paragon_X : Those numbers are still okay.  8.5TB in 5 months is 1.7TB per month.  That means it'll take another 39 months until you reach the 75TB cap of the warranty.

It's also 289 months (or 24 years) before reaching the 500TB mark where SSDs usually begin to fail due to NAND wear. 

(Actually, when Tech Report tested the endurance of SSDs, their 840EVO lasted until somewhere between 800 and 900TB.  So at this rate you should be able to get 35-40 years or more out of that 850EVO of yours)

Is this bug causing unwanted writes?  Sure

Is it going to "kill your SSD"?  You're going to be replacing it long before the NAND even gets halfway to wearing out, so it's not an issue really. 

On 12/11/2016 at 3:36 AM, themctipers said:

Yeah, RIP I guess. 

My ssd already has ~13tb writes in 11 months.. :/ let's see how much it has gone up in the one month of Spotify.

Does spotify use users' HDD to upload or what?>???

Is it the same as those torrent downloading software where if you dun download, it will upload without notifying you??

Does that "hurt" your hard drive too???

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Does spotify use users' HDD to upload or what?>???

Is it the same as those torrent downloading software where if you dun download, it will upload without notifying you??

Does that "hurt" your hard drive too???

No it's just Spotify had a bug where it would write over the disk millions of times.

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

-snip-

This being a huge reason to not use music streaming services. Want to write to your storage once and truly contribute to the artist's that you listen to? Stop using music streaming services and buy their music. You'd have to listen to a specific artist songs so many times to make up for the price of the album. How do you know that CD sales give more contribution to the artists? Didn't know the medium affects where the money goes.

4 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

How do you know that CD sales give more contribution to the artists? Didn't know the medium affects where the money goes.

I did a bit of research just before writing that post, to check how much the retailers were keeping and how much the record labels were giving to the artists, and the 50% number popped up a couple of times.

Sadly I closed my browser session, still found this again in less than a minute.  

selling_out_550.png

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/

14 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

This being a huge reason to not use music streaming services. Want to write to your storage once and truly contribute to the artist's that you listen to? Stop using music streaming services and buy their music. You'd have to listen to a specific artist songs so many times to make up for the price of the album. How do you know that CD sales give more contribution to the artists? Didn't know the medium affects where the money goes.

the medium really doesn't affect where the money goes, it's either the artist self publishes is stuff or signs with a label company. The only time where artists make a decent amount out of when signing with a label company is when the label company is relatively small, with the big, well known ones they mostly get close to nothing 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 11/11/2016 at 8:46 PM, ShadowTechXTS said:

#soundcloudmasterrace

Only if motherf*cking adblock would work on it...sometimes I get an add every fucking song...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Only if motherf*cking adblock would work on it...sometimes I get an add every fucking song...

Try ublock origin.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

On 11/11/2016 at 5:51 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

Huh, I've got it on my pc. I'll have to check it out when I get back up and running

Same man. Also how's that cpu? I was looking at buying it.