New 13" & 15""MacBooks have the fastest SSD performance on the market

Source 1: https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/01/2016-macbook-pro-ssd/

Source 2: https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/01/the-late-2016-entry-level-13-macbook-pro-has-a-ridiculously-fast-ssd/

A report from Computer World noted that if Apple was anywhere close to its claimed SSD performance, it will offer the fastest drive read and write speeds of any stock computer available – and that Apple is around two years ahead of most of its competition.

The 2016 13-in. MacBook Pro‘s specs claim it has sequential read/write speeds of 3.1Gbps and 2.1Gbps per second, respectively. The new 15-in MacBook Pro ups the write speeds to 2.2Gbps, while the reads remain the same as the 13-in [which would make it] the highest performing stock system on the market 

For reference, the Retina MacBook Pro (2015) could pin at 1.4Gb/ps writes and 1.3Gb/ps reads. The new MBPs smokes its predecessor

IDC VP Jeff Janukowicz says that Apple has led the industry not just in the switch from hard drives to SSD, but in choosing the fastest SSD available.

The newest PCIe SSDs use the NVM Express (NVMe) or Non-Volatile Memory Host Controller Interface Specification, which is a logical device interface for accessing flash storage via the PCIe bus.

“With regard to PCIe, Apple has been a pioneer when it comes to PCIe/NVMe storage,” said Jeff Janukowicz, research vice president at IDC. “They were the first PC company to broadly adopt it across its laptop portfolio while other companies today are still just using it in a very limited portion of their PC lineup.”

Janukowicz said that he didn’t expect other companies to adopt them in significant numbers until late 2017, putting Apple two years ahead of the curve.

This doesn't surprise me as Apple was also the first one to adopt NVMe on the iPhone 6S making it the fastest phone, only beaten by the new iPhone 7

Most users are likely to see the benefit of the even faster SSDs in the new MacBook Pro only in boot times and loading apps, but professional users working with large files should notice a significant boost in performance.

In light of this report 9to5mac ran some benchmark tests on the entry level 13" MBP (without Touchbar) and....

2016-macbook-pero-quickbench-benchmark.jpg

Apple is claiming read speeds up to 3.1 GB/s for both the 13″ and 15″ MacBook Pro, and 2.1 GB/s write speed. A quick look at the QuickBench test shows that the hardware performs right in step (divide by 1,000) with these expectations.

My thoughts: 

This is definitely one of the reasons why MacBooks have always been great tasks like video editing compared to the competition despite being more powerful. Sure getting a better processor might give you 10 min reduced render time but it doesn't matter if video editing experience is very rough. 

This follows one of the things I noticed in Apple in past year or so, they've been making great strides (like an obsession) in color accuracy, speakers system and SSD performance across their entire lineup, topping charts every now and then

Sworn Apple haters

Inb4 SSD performance doesn't matter anymore

Inb4 They removed all legacy ports

Inb4 <some random device in some lab> had it before

too bad it has no serial ports.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

This is definitely one of the reasons why MacBooks have always been great tasks like video editing

Disk doesn't matter that much for video editing, its mainly cpu and gpu performance. Most of the video is on ram when editing.

Its also not the fastest ssd http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fusuion-io-octal-flash-ssd-10tb,13995.html

This is over 2x the speed.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Disk doesn't matter that much for video editing, its mainly cpu and gpu performance. Most of the video is on ram when editing.

Its also not the fastest ssd http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fusuion-io-octal-flash-ssd-10tb,13995.html

and 10x the price? cmon man we're talking consumer electronics here

Photography / Finance / Gaming

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

2 minutes ago, mok said:

and 10x the price? cmon man we're talking consumer electronics here

In all fairness, 

" the highest performing stock system on the market "

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

so basically the claimed specs of the Samsung 960 Pro's?

So all it would take is for another manufacture to integrate 960 Pro's as the standard M.2 card in their laptops and BOOM done.

all Apple did was make a PROPRIETARY connector/form factor so you have to buy this new fancy faster SSD from them should you want to go bigger, instead of getting a reasonably priced one from somewhere else (for as "reasonably priced" as an NVME drive gets anyway).

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

so basically the claimed specs of the Samsung 960 Pro's?

So all it would take is for another manufacture to integrate 960 Pro's as the standard M.2 card in their laptops and BOOM done.

all Apple did was make a PROPRIETARY connector/form factor so you have to buy this new fancy faster SSD from them should you want to go bigger, instead of getting a reasonably priced one from somewhere else (for as "reasonably priced" as an NVME drive gets anyway).

Apple's SSD upgrades are priced pretty competitively with other SSD upgrades from OEMs and isn't too far off the pricing of the 960 either. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hmmmm...close to 3GBps read speeds, like I need more than 500MBps anyway :P 

On a side note, I though b is bits and B is bytes :P 

Maybe some people needs to learn their notation ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

16 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

3.1Gbps and 2.1Gbps

16 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple is claiming read speeds up to 3.1 GB/s for both the 13″ and 15″ MacBook Pro, and 2.1 GB/s write speed

Which is it, GB/s or Gbps? One is 8 times bigger than the other...

Another thing about apples' ssd's: their nvme and msata drives were wired differently so that you couldn't go out and buy a generic one (even though it physically fits) because they want you to pay the apple tax.

When in doubt, re-format.

20 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Inb4 <some random device in some lab> had it before

Inb4 SSD performance doesn't matter anymore

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Inb4 They removed all legacy ports

19 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

too bad it has no serial ports.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This made my day!

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Apple's SSD is priced pretty competitively with other SSD upgrades from OEMs and isn't too far off the pricing of the 960 either. 

Good to hear, still hate proprietary interfaces because it prevents reusing them in other hardware down the road and also prevents choosing the brands I trust.

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It does and I have first-hand experience when I moved my video file from internal HDD to SSD

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

*facepalm. 

Inb4 <some random device in some lab> had it before

This is a device you can go to a store and buy right now

20 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Which is it, GB/s or Gbps? One is 8 times bigger than the other...

20 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

On a side note, I though b is bits and B is bytes :P 

Maybe some people needs to learn their notation ;) 

Yes, I am aware of the difference and even I was confused. But I just basically copied the article, so yeaah

I think it's all GB/s

10 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

It does and I have first-hand experience when I moved my video file from internal HDD to SSD

*facepalm. 

This is a device you can go to a store and buy right now

I think He (@Electronics Wizardy) was talking about the actual performance of video editing software(like within after effects/Premiere Pro/Final Cut) while you're talking about part of the process of video editing (file transfer).

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

I think He was talking about the actual performance of video editing while you're talking about part of the process of video editing (file transfer).

I am talking about the actual process. Pre rendered playback is much smoother while scrubbing alot. Also, since I worked on big files, I don't think it was stored on the RAM rather in the SSD which was a huge improvement in performance when it was stored on HDD

6 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I am talking about the actual process. Pre rendered playback is much smoother while scrubbing alot. Also, since I worked on big files, I don't think it was stored on the RAM rather in the SSD which was a huge improvement in performance when it was stored on HDD

I can't really comment on your particular situation, but rendering times didn't deviate from the norm on my system moving from WD Raptor -> 850 evo -> SM951 PCIe SSD.

The only real difference I noticed was when the OS was transferred from HDD to SSD the system seemed more responsive overall.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

5 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Comparing the move from HDD to SSD isn't really the same as one amazingly fast SSD to another. At some point you hit diminishing returns.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Doesn't matter much when the 13" model doesn't even have a uad core or Iris Pro 580 graphics (easily possible within the small chassis), and the 15" model has a dGPU that's weaker than Iris Pro 580 graphics. Having a fast SSD is all well and good, but when you can't run the programs that would actually benefit from the super fast SSD well, thus negating the SSD's speed.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

All that NVMe solid state drive is good for new MacBook Pro, which in reality should be called "MacBook Retina late 2016". But then where are the following?

-MagSafe charging port

-SDXC card slot

-USB Type A port

I can't invest on a top of the line Windows laptop like the Surface Book i7 or the Razer Blade because of "Final Cut Pro X". I went to a friend's house the other day and saw right before my eyes how FCP X annihilates Adobe Premiere in rendering the same 30 minutes 4K video (older MacBook Pro Retina 2015).

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Gee that's great....what am I gonna be doing on these laptops that needs that fast of an SSD? Scrubbing through 4k60FPS raw? Give me a fuckin break apple. 'pro' 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Doesn't matter much when the 13" model doesn't even have a uad core or Iris Pro 580 graphics (easily possible within the small chassis), and the 15" model has a dGPU that's weaker than Iris Pro 580 graphics. Having a fast SSD is all well and good, but when you can't run the programs that would actually benefit from the super fast SSD well, thus negating the SSD's speed.....

Video editing has proven to be fast on even the MacBook (non Pro) due to excellent use of hardware acceleration, though anything else that is intensive is probably out of the question on the 13".

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I thought about getting a refurb 2015 MBP but the more I read about the new MBP, the more I'd rather have it.

that titel is very wrong and misleading. A 960 pro beats it and a Intel DC P3608 beats it with no problem.

They might have the fastest SSD's that you get stock in a laptop, but not the fastest SSD's on the marked.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.