Nintendo switch has a 6.2" 720p Capacitive Multi-touch display

goodtofufriday

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-nintendo-switch-has-a-6-2-multi-touch-screen 

jpg

A number of sources, including those who informed me of the Switch's design and detachable controllers back in July, have all confirmed other capabilities which Nintendo is currently keeping quiet.

Let's start with the Nintendo Switch's screen. It is 6.2" in size, 720p and - for the first time in any Nintendo device - boasts a capacitive multi-touch screen.

So, how will the touchscreen work when the Switch is docked? While connected to your TV the Switch itself is out of reach - you play either with both JoyCon controllers attached to the system's grip or with a Pro Controller. The Switch's touchscreen is almost entirely obscured within the console's dock.

The answer may lie hidden in the right-hand JoyCon, which houses a short-range IR sensor in its base. This could be used to point at the TV to replicate basic touchscreen functionality, picked up by a corresponding IR sensor in the docked Switch.

Funny as this was Nintendo's comment on if the Switch had a touch screen

"We have nothing to announce on this topic," a Nintendo of America spokesperson told us overnight. "We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product."

Not suprising I suppose. I'm not really sure what to comment about this. Maybe we will get tablet mode games that are made for more on the go gaming.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

720p? On a 6.2" display?

Honestly, that's kind of disappointing. Considering it's a handheld device, it really should have a higher res display.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

720p? On a 6.2" display?

Honestly, that's kind of disappointing. Considering it's a handheld device, it really should have a higher res display.

agreed. my phone has 1440P on a smaller screen. granted, that is way more then needed, but atleast 1080P would have been nice...

many will be mad that this will make the device not that great of a tablet web surfing ect if nintendo even supports such stuff.  720p is a little too low of a resolution for the size. I Agree all the games needed to be rendered in 720p but they could of did a 1440p or 1080p screen 1440p would be a perfect scaling though only reason i mention it.

No one will want to carry 2 tablets if they already carry one

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

agreed. my phone has 1440P on a smaller screen. granted, that is way more then needed, but atleast 1080P would have been nice...

Yeah 1080p would be more then enough but maybe the 1440p for perfect scaling 720p video game renders. they could of upscalled to 1080 also but im sure theres a lot more to it to know which option would be better. 

1440p on phones is crazy clear and awsome 1080p is more then good enough for 5.5 inch phones though. i used my s7 edge in VR and the screen door look is a little annoying and makes 1440p seem not enough but i don't know if that is truly the resolution fault or not 

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

720p? On a 6.2" display?

But consider the battery life and the resolution that the chip inside can acctually render for games that look a little better than your averyge mobile phone games ...1080p would sound better but that has never been a way Nintendo had gone in the past so ... This is what they ended up with.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

8 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Yeah 1080p would be more then enough but maybe the 1440p for perfect scaling 720p video game renders. they could of upscalled to 1080 also but im sure theres a lot more to it to know which option would be better. 

1440p on phones is crazy clear and awsome 1080p is more then good enough for 5.5 inch phones though. i used my s7 edge in VR and the screen door look is a little annoying and makes 1440p seem not enough but i don't know if that is truly the resolution fault or not 

Yeah, I have the LG G4 that has a 1440p display and even if I use a magnify glass I cannot see a pixel. It is that sharp.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

720p? On a 6.2" display?

Meh. 854x480 actually worked well for the Wii U imo

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So some people are bashing Nintendo for using a 720p display on such a large screen and then comparing it to a smartphone, but I think it's important to keep in mind the different use cases. On a phone you're very often going to be looking at fine pixels (i.e. text) whereas on the switch you're going to be playing games. So I'd guess that 720p is more than enough actually. Consider your desktop for example, if 720p on the switch would be so bad, then 1080p on your 24" screen would be even worse -- even after accounting for viewing distances.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

25 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-nintendo-switch-has-a-6-2-multi-touch-screen

jpg

Funny as this was Nintendo's comment on if the Switch had a touch screen

Not suprising I suppose. I'm not really sure what to comment about this. Maybe we will get tablet mode games that are made for more on the go gaming.

Nintendo need to learn how to speak English LMAO xD.

We have nothing to announce on this topic," a Nintendo of America spokesperson told us overnight. "We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product."  

But seriously! What, the actual f? Deal breaker. a 6" device needs to at least be 1080p.......................

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But seriously! What, the actual f? Deal breaker. a 6" device needs to at least be 1080p.......................

I disagree, 720p on the switch should be at least as good as 1080p on your desktop (which is still what the VAST majority of people are running -- even people on this forum). 

I'll use isthisretina calculator to get a rough estimate on the relative pixel densities relative to viewing distance because I'm too lazy to do the math myself: 

720p @ 6.2": 236PPI --> "retina" at 15" 

1080p @ 24": 91PPI --> "retina" at 37"

So the 720P Switch screen is about as good (if not better) than the 1080p monitor on your desk, but the Switch won't have to handle (much) fine text. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You guys just don't seem to understand Nintendo or mobile gaming for that manner. AFAIK this is about the same pixel density we saw with the 3DS. Also, I'm looking forward to this thing at least lasting a couple of hours of gaming.

You guys sound like this is going to be the first handheld PC experience you can get and seem to forget about battery life and everything....

I don't get it.

Why do you need a 1080p screen that small on a battery powered gaming machine...

I'd much rather have more battery and a solid framerate @ 60FPS /720p

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

720p? On a 6.2" display?

if 792p was good enough for the Xbone on a tv, I really dont see how 720p is not enough on a handheld. It's pushing a higher frame rate then most shitty mobile games do.

48 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

I Agree all the games needed to be rendered in 720p but they could of did a 1440p or 1080p screen 1440p would be a perfect scaling though only reason i mention it.

No one will want to carry 2 tablets if they already carry one

A higher resolution means 1. the screen costs more and 2. the battery life would be nuked.

Let's look at this another way... 

6.2" 720p display = approx. 237ppi

24" 1080p display = approx. 92ppi

So more than twice the pixel density of a typical 1080p PC gaming monitor, yet this isn't good enough for some of you?  There's no need for it to have a higher resolution, when you consider the above and remember it has to run on batteries while maintaining smooth frame rates. Or would you rather have a slightly sharper display with lower fps and horrible battery life? ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

42 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

720p? On a 6.2" display?

40 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

The PS4 and X1 have trouble with 1080p how do you expect a handled to work out with that or even a higher res? 720p is perfectly fine. The top end PSP was 960 x 540 and that was ok.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

snip

I'm with the others on this one, there is no reason to put 1080p on that screen given its small size

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

20 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I disagree, 720p on the switch should be at least as good as 1080p on your desktop (which is still what the VAST majority of people are running -- even people on this forum). 

What you are forgetting is that the 720p screen 99% guarantees it'll output 720p to a TV as well.

Nintendo are THAT lazy.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm more worried about the living room experience. As someone mentioned earlier, 720P on a 6" display with a high PPI will look and perform fine for mobile gaming. However, when I dock the Switch, will its Tegra chip be able to drive 1080P natively and adequately? I really don't want to see simple upscailng from 720P... With 4K adoption on the rise, how will the Switch fit in there? 

2 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

I'm more worried about the living room experience. As someone mentioned earlier, 720P on a 6" display with a high PPI will look and perform fine for mobile gaming. However, when I dock the Switch, will its Tegra chip be able to drive 1080P adequately? I really don't want to see simple upscalilng... With 4K adoption on the rise, how will the Switch fit in there? 

Well it is clearly not marketed or designed for 4k. The rumors indicate that it will run at a high res when docked. I can see it clocking higher in the dock with extra active cooling.

1 minute ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

What you are forgetting is that the 720p screen 99% guarantees it'll output 720p to a TV as well.

Nintendo are THAT lazy.

There's no reason for that to be true. Tegra chips are relatively resolution agnostic just like a desktop GPU. It would literally be a single resolution context switch to swap to 1080p

2 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

I'm more worried about the living room experience. As someone mentioned earlier, 720P on a 6" display with a high PPI will look and perform fine for mobile gaming. However, when I dock the Switch, will its Tegra chip be able to drive 1080P adequately? I really don't want to see simple upscalilng... With 4K adoption on the rise, how will the Switch fit in there? 

Tegra chips are incredibly powerful (and cheap) for their form factor. Pretty well guarantee it won't game in 4k, but it's not selling itself on that anyways. 1080p should be no problem though at about the same quality as the Xbox one.

Reason for 720p screen is most likely cost and battery life more than performance.

And keep in mind 720p on a 6" screen is still substantially better than 240p on a 4" screen, so it's a big upgrade from the 3DS when on the go.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

There's no reason for that to be true. Tegra chips are relatively resolution agnostic just like a desktop GPU. It would literally be a single resolution context switch to swap to 1080p

Sure. But we're talking about Nintendo. They'll make up some shit excuse to once again fail to step up to 1080p.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

6.2? Isn't that only slightly bigger than the Nexus 6?

I remember that phone being big but not big enough for gaming on.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

17 minutes ago, sof006 said:

6.2? Isn't that only slightly bigger than the Nexus 6?

I remember that phone being big but not big enough for gaming on.

Was the PS Vita or PSP too small?