What is your belief in God? (No racism or flaming please)

solosdk

ok now it is time to talk about aliens... wait no.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Gravity is not a theory. It's a phenomenon -- or call it what you wish.

The theory is what describes how it works.

You need to improve your internet sarcasm detector  ;)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I accept micro-evolution. Extrapolating the data is a very dangerous thing to do (see global warming).

You can see it just as easily with birds if you change their food source. Their beaks change shape over time to better access the available food. Is that still micro-evolution?

For evolution?

E. Coli. If I had to pick one area of research to demonstrate evolution, it would be Escherichia Coli. The great thing about E. Coli is that it reproduces rapidly, we're talking a new generation every half an hour or so. What this means is that you can observe the cells over hundreds or thousands of reproductive cycles, and therefore you can see the effects of evolution at a much faster pace.

If you alter the environment in which the E.Coli cells are growing, those which cannot adapt to the new environment die. If you replace glucose with lactose, only those capable of metabolising lactose will survive and therefore all further cells from that culture will be able to metabolise lactose. If you introduce penicillin, only those resistant to penicillin will survive to pass on that trait to their offspring.

Labs all over the world are able to reproduce these experiments because their results are FACT.

While I do agree with you, give Descarte's Meditations a read. The argument of the "Great Deceiver" can refute most scientific claims even as fundamental as 2+2=4...

Claiming these as 100% facts is somewhat close minded... They are more like 99.999999999999999999999999999% facts.

Just like I cannot say the Sun will raise tomorrow.

The only certainty in this world is my existence and that nothing is certain.

Then again, without some certainty we lose all grip on life, so in order to move forward we must assume.

I'll get past the flaming thing and apologise if I misunderstood his meaning. Sure he said "aside from", but he dismissed the peer reviewed papers out of hand as if their findings did not matter when they really, really do.

As for gravity, does the Higgs Boson not come some way to giving us a physical representation? Sure it's only about a field and it only gives particles mass rather than generating gravity but mass and gravity are related so I can't help but feel it's at least relevant even if we are still missing the graviton.

Fair enough. 

Somewhat, it does, but as you said, we are still missing the "graviton". The future will be interesting in that regards. :P

I accept micro-evolution. Extrapolating the data is a very dangerous thing to do (see global warming).

This, but I think using Global Warming as an example is a bad idea. 

ok now it is time to talk about aliens... wait no.

Lol, yes, wait.... no.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

@Windspeed36 et al.

Can this be moved into Off-Topic?

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

You can see it just as easily with birds if you change their food source. Their beaks change shape over time to better access the available food. Is that still micro-evolution?

Relative to every species in existence currently on this planet? Yes.

However, I personally don't take issue with micro-evolution. In that I don't take issue with extrapolating cells up a food chain or to larger living entities (such as from E. Coli to birds).

I take issue with it being extrapolated into the past. Because that is most certainly not the same thing. Because that implies the assumption that nothing has ever changed regarding how our universe works. According to Science (generally), we have been around for less than 0.00001% of the Universe's life span. How is that a viable testing period for saying "How it is now, is as it has always been." in regards to all the rules, laws, and formulae we have derived in our short existence? 

I personally don't have the faith to believe that and I say it that way because there is little else to prove it to me aside from faith itself.

While I do agree with you, give Descarte's Meditations a read. The argument of the "Great Deceiver" can refute most scientific claims even as fundamental as 2+2=4...

Claiming these as 100% facts is somewhat close minded... They are more like 99.999999999999999999999999999% facts.

Then again, without some certainty we lose all grip on life, so in order to move forward we must assume.

This. 

If we are to question what is real, we must first start with our own observations, which we naturally take to be real. Matrix anyone?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Guys can you just stop it?

Just vote on the poll and give a brief explanation of what you believe, no need to get into argument's.

This happens every single time something like this pop's up...get some manners, respect other peoples beliefs.

We cannot yet prove or disprove god (or the idea of god), we most likely never will so grow up and get along....

If it's a respectful debate, I don't mind it at all.  :)

I'd say their beaks don't change shape over time to better access the available food, rather their beaks change shape over time because of access to the available food.

And, I'd also conciser that micro

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I am in fact familiar with the argument of the great deceiver :)

It is a fact however that in every experiment ever conducted, the cells have behaved in the fashion I described. Whether they always will is something I cannot comment on I suppose, although such a change would involve a change in the very fabric of our universe and everything we have observed thus far so... yeah. That's what I meant by "fact" :P

i believe in God but not the saints of the catholic church. and the bible is not one straighgtforward book in all of its content. maybe God kickstarted evolution. maybe he designed science. just maybe. i am open to possibilities. i don' lock up my ears and just bash everyone who disagrees with me.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

My parents brought me up a Christian. (Arab Christian, lol)

But as I got older and older I started thinking and now I am an atheist, I believe humanity itself is a fluke of flukes formed over billions of years and evolution.

I don't tell my parents I'm an atheist though, they would disown me or something, they believe that strongly. (indoctrinated since birth eh, what can you do?)

I tried to tell them once but I saw they I was heading into dangerous territory. My dad wouldn't even talk to me until I said I 'lied' about not believing and made up an excuse.

Also, here is a funny picture which I just can't help but laugh at:

Why-do-I-find-this-so-funny.jpg

If we are to question what is real, we must first start with our own observations, which we naturally take to be real. Matrix anyone?

morning.png

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I dont have a problem with religion, but if they influence the possible decisions of others(for the worse) (effectively forcing their views upon others), we're going to have a f***ing problem.

I don't tell my parents I'm an atheist though, they would disown me or something, they believe that strongly. (indoctrinated since birth eh, what can you do?)

I tried to tell them once but I saw they I was heading into dangerous territory. My dad wouldn't even talk to me until I said I 'lied' about not believing and made up an excuse.

This is actually really sad  :mellow: I'm sorry you're in this situation and that religion has done this to you.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

At least the original question was about belief, not whether there is a God. You cannot prove something exists if it is based on faith.

At least until we find the Babelfish, at which point we should vehemently avoid crosswalks.

I act of my own accord, but whether there is a higher power out there I don't know. My signature reflects my opinions on this matter.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

This is actually really sad  :mellow: I'm sorry you're in this situation and that religion has done this to you.

It's not a problem.

They are generally nice people. (too nice actually, they pamper me)

If I don't say a word they never have to know, I don't go to church anyway. :P

If I move out I can avoid the subject forever.

I dont have a problem with religion, but if they influence the possible decisions of others (effectively forcing their views upon others), we're going to have a f***ing problem.

If they influence the possible decisions of others for the worse*, we're going to have a f***ing problem.;) 

I am in fact familiar with the argument of the great deceiver :)

It is a fact however that in every experiment ever conducted, the cells have behaved in the fashion I described. Whether they always will is something I cannot comment on I suppose, although such a change would involve a change in the very fabric of our universe and everything we have observed thus far so... yeah. That's what I meant by "fact" :P

In case you missed it in how fast this thread is moving, here's my post on that exact subject.

That is, ultimately, what I take issue with in regards to sciences that involve the past. The assumption that what we measure/calculate now is as it has always been. The speed of light. Gravity's constant. Constants in general.

If we are to say "It is that way because our science shows it to be true.", how can our short time period of existence hold up to our own scrutiny in the face of the age of the universe as our constant's have measured it so? (in that the age is taken from speed of light and red light refraction, among other things).

If I run an experiment for a year, collecting data as it goes on in real-time (i.e. infinite points of data), then throw out all data I've collected except for that last 0.000001% of time, and base everything I write off of that, how can my work be questioned when humanity itself is effectively doing the same thing in the face of the universe, in regards to it's inner workings? Hypocrisy much?

You get the idea.

† Christian Member †

If they influence the possible decisions of others for the worse*, we're going to have a f***ing problem.;) 

Apparently you know how to communicate better than I, I edited it :D

If I don't say a word they never have to know

Your actions could give it away too, keep that in mind.  :wacko:

Your actions could give it away too, keep that in mind.

I still go to church with Christmas and Easter, I don't mind, it's only an hour tops. They don't suspect a thing.

But I won't let my kid be influenced by them if I ever have one, they can bite me if they think they can get him/her,

They have this other family as friends, also Christians and Arab.

Been to their house a couple of times, the kids are just brainwashed, it's so damn scary to see that stuff. It's not like they are strict or something, but the mother was complaining about internet ads showing lingerie or some sort of more than usual nudity, and I pretty much facepalmed because if you get offended by that....well....never mind.

Luckily I was able to think for myself. (no offense)

I think that sometimes people are unable to grasp the vastness of the universe or the cruelty around them every day. This is why they gravitate towards religion, as a easy relief and/or solution, which is fine, but don't harm others with it.

Also I find it weird that religious people know fairy tales and such and see that as fiction. Yet their own god is real according to them and somehow not a part of fiction.

No offense, I don't have anything against religion if you find happiness in it and don't harm or indoctrinate others.

This is actually really sad  :mellow: I'm sorry you're in this situation and that your parents have done this to you.

Hmm, FTFY.

If we are to blame concepts for people's actions in life, then none have done wrong and ideas are to blame for it all.

† Christian Member †

Random announcement

Also I want to eat something but I inhaled a Ben &Jerry's 5 hours ago and since my basal metabolic rate is 150 kcal per hour I am not allowed to eat anything yet!  :angry:  (trying to lose weight)