What is your belief in God? (No racism or flaming please)

solosdk

why do u care if people on forum believe in god or not ?

it should be if u believe in god he exists if not he doesn’t exist  for u  end of story ....

I don't think anyone actually cares (I personally don't) It's just an interesting topic for discussion :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Vitalius is just the sneaky like-ninja of this thread.

/Off-Topic

... That's true of all threads I am in. :)

/On-Topic

I mean, I want people who talk with me about this kind of stuff to understand why it's important to me.

Some might say I was brainwashed, indoctrinated, or any other fancy word they want to use to say these decisions and beliefs aren't my own. However, they are. 

It's hard for me to have others understand why I believe what I do since I can't make them live my life. But to oversimplify it, without God, I am nothing. With God, I am something. Without Him, in all intents and purposes, I am dead. With Him, in all intents and purposes, I am alive. 

The reason the Bible resonates with me is because it speaks of the very things I know God to do in my life. Mind you, they are all in spiritual contexts (rather than physical ones), but to me, that is no different. In fact, they're one in the same in relation to myself. I only speak for myself in this. Others may be different, but I can guarantee you it is infinitely better that I have a relationship with God than the alternative (my denial of his existence and acceptance of the lack thereof). 

For someone to say "God does not exist", to me, is no different than denying my own existence because it would not be if it weren't for Him. 

I'm not trying to preach. I am just trying to show my viewpoint. To say, "This is how I see it." so that maybe others might understand who don't already.

No, it doesn't. I don't believe there is a God or higher power/being (hence my Atheism), but I've not completely closed my mind to the idea of one should enough evidence become apparent.

... So an agnostic atheist?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

... So an agnostic atheist?

When it comes down to it, they are one in the same.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

But Atheism is not believing in ANYTHING?

And I don't believe there is anything one could class as a God. I'm just not so closed minded that I'd refuse to change my beliefs should enough evidence to support the existence of God arise.

I'm just not so closed minded that I'd refuse to change my beliefs should enough evidence to support the existence of God arise.

Agnostic! :D

If nobody cared about someone else's views this world would be a very boring place.

I don't think anyone actually cares (I personally don't) It's just an interesting topic for discussion :)

true that ... people just wanna fight with each other

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

And I don't believe there is anything one could class as a God. I'm just not so closed minded that I'd refuse to change my beliefs should enough evidence to support the existence of God arise.

Evidence doesn't present me with a reason to believe in God(s). I don't have faith on the matter because I reject faith because it's based on false principles and can easily be abused. If evidence for god existed, faith wouldn't be needed. Evidence leads to fact and fact leads to law and knowledge. But as of now, there is no evidence for any sort of supernatural being so I can easily reject the concept. It is still possible, but not at all likely.

Hail Sithis!

Evidence doesn't present me with a reason to believe in God(s). I don't have faith on the matter because I reject faith because it [can be] based on false principles and can easily be abused. If evidence for god existed, faith wouldn't be needed. Evidence leads to fact and fact leads to law and knowledge. But as of now, there is no evidence for any sort of supernatural being so I can easily reject the concept. It is still possible, but not at all likely.

FTFY to reflect how I view it. Then you must reject most of this life. If not all of it. I wonder, how do you even live then? *honest question*

Everything can easily be abused. Anything can be based on false principles. So I don't see how faith is different aside from it being the only thing that doesn't involve what you define as evidence. Mind you, as far as I'm concerned, faith has everything to do with evidence. But then I think we are getting into semantics.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

beebskadoo, by the way you write and what you have written, you technically hate me.

FTFY to reflect how I view it. Then you must reject most of this life. If not all of it. I wonder, how do you even live then? *honest question*

Everything can easily be abused. Anything can be based on false principles. So I don't see how faith is different aside from it being the only thing that doesn't involve what you define as evidence. Mind you, as far as I'm concerned, faith has everything to do with evidence. But then I think we are getting into semantics.

Faith is not based on evidence. If there was evidence it would be truth and fact.

Faith is asserting as fact, something that is not evidently true. 

in other words, believing in something that we don't have evidence for and asserting it as fact which IS dishonest.

I agree that things can be abused, but not to the same extent as faith. Claiming you have knowledge without proof is lying. 

''Anything can be based on false principles'' Faith is essentially based on false principles, it's just its nature.

Evidence is demonstrable and repeatable. Law, theory and fact are all based on evidence none of which can be attributed to faith.

:)

Hail Sithis!

beebskadoo, by the way you write and what you have written, you technically hate me.

I only actually hate a few people, doubt you would ever live up to that.

Hail Sithis!

I think what you guys are missing is that the question you're asking shouldn't be "Why do you believe in God?" but "Should you stop believing in God?". Just because you acknowledge that there's no evidence for God that doesn't mean you have to get rid of your faith, it's actually quite the opposite. Also, is there really a benefit to stop believing in God? It's not like it makes you evil, especially when you take into consideration that the new pope is actually pretty cool.

Claiming you have knowledge without proof is lying.

No, at best it's being wrong. Thinking you know something when you don't doesn't make a you a liar.

I think what you guys are missing is that the question you're asking shouldn't be "Why do you believe in God?" but "Should you stop believing in God?". Just because you acknowledge that there's no evidence for God that doesn't mean you have to get rid of your faith, it's actually quite the opposite. Also, is there really a benefit to stop believing in God? It's not like it makes you evil, specially when you take into consideration that the new pope is actually pretty cool.

No, at best it's being wrong. Thinking you know something when you don't doesn't make a you a liar.

You are claiming to have knowledge that you don't have....that's lying.

Hail Sithis!

You are claiming to have knowledge that you don't have....that's lying.

Saying something wrong is not lying, it's being wrong. It's only lying if you know you are wrong yourself and the majority of the people you're calling liars just doesn't know they're wrong.

Example:

My car is green

I tell you my car is yellow

You tell someone my car is yellow

In this scenario I was lying but you weren't, you were just wrong. And it's the exact same thing, a lot of people just believe they do have evidence when they don't.

Saying something wrong is not lying, it's being wrong. It's only lying if you know you are wrong yourself and the majority of the people you're calling liars just doesn't know they're wrong.

Example:

My car is green

In this scenario I was lying but you weren't, you were just wrong. And it's the exact same thing, a lot of people just believe they do have evidence when they don't.

Faith based not fact based. 

If I believe something on faith (which I have no evidence of) and tell someone it's the truth, I would be lying.

me 'I have word from god that your car is yellow'

you 'but my car is green. See?'

me 'I see your car, and on faith I believe it's actually yellow'

Even though I was clearly wrong, I still asserted as fact something that is contrary to evidence.

Hail Sithis!

Example:

My car is green

So in the same aspect, i can have this scenario

Your cat is non-existant

You tell me you have a cat that is omnipotent

I decide to don't give a damn because i think that's just plain bullshit

What now?

Faith based not fact based. 

If I believe something on faith (which I have no evidence of) and tell someone it's the truth, I would be lying.

me 'I have word from god that your car is yellow'

you 'but my car is green. See?'

me 'I see your car, and on faith I believe it's actually yellow'

Even though I was clearly wrong, I still asserted as fact something that is contrary to evidence.

But once again you are assuming everyone thoroughly looked for evidence and posesses the knowledge that religion is not based on facts and therefore cannot be proven. This is simply not true, the vast majority of people never bothered to look at the green car, they were just told it was yellow and accepted it.

So in the same aspect, i can have this scenario

Your cat is non-existant

You tell me you have a cat that is omnipotent

I decide to don't give a damn because i think that's just plain bullshit

What now?

Your analogy simply doesn't make any sense, you're simplifying religion to the point it's ridiculous. Here's what darwinism sounds like if I do the same thing you did:

You have a grandma.

You tell me your grandma came from a monkey.

I decide it's BS.

See? It's the exact same arguments people like Bill O'Reilly use to make something sound crazy. Oversimplifying things does make a good argument, it just makes a ridiculous one. You should stop watching so much Fox News.

Also, what's funny is that I once told my little brother that in Russia cats could walk like people and went to the supermarket to shop for themselves. About 2 months later I hear him tell that to his friend.

believing in god is a good thing....

believing in the religious institution set up telling you how to believe in your god is the problem ...... 

i myself believe in god but i don't need some religious group telling how that believe is to be followed 

But once again you are assuming everyone thoroughly looked for evidence and posesses the knowledge that religion is not based on facts and therefore cannot be proven. This is simply not true, the vast majority of people never bothered to look at the green car, they were just told it was yellow and accepted it.

but they know it's faith based not fact based. They aren't blind to that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Hail Sithis!

Faith is not based on evidence. If there was evidence it would be truth and fact.

Faith is asserting as fact, something that is not evidently true. 

in other words, believing in something that we don't have evidence for and asserting it as fact which IS dishonest.

I agree that things can be abused, but not to the same extent as faith. Claiming you have knowledge without proof is lying. 

''Anything can be based on false principles'' Faith is essentially based on false principles, it's just its nature.

Evidence is demonstrable and repeatable. Law, theory and fact are all based on evidence none of which can be attributed to faith.

:)

And that's exactly where I thought you would go with it.

And exactly why I said "going into semantics". This meme sums it up fairly well, I think:

inigo-montoya-you-keep-using-that-word-i

Or maybe what you define as Faith,and what my religion defines as Faith are two different things. 

I have Faith in God to know that He will do what He has shown Himself to do repeatedly. I don't know for a fact in a demonstrate-able way (evidence) to show others He will do what He has done again, but He has given me reason to believe He won't change (in that He has always done it) and so, for me, it is no different than fact that He will continue to do what He has always done.

I can't share what I base that fact on (in my eyes) with others because I can't let you live my life, as I have said, but you say it is dishonesty and/or lying when I don't believe it is. It is simply a matter of my inability to share with you what I have experienced in a way that you would treat it the same.

I used the generic "always done" for a reason. Ultimately, for me and my religion, Faith means simply trusting God to be who He is and has always shown Himself to be. It's when you start extrapolating that to mean certain specific things that it tends to fail, either because He isn't who you believed Him to be, or that what you had Faith to happen wasn't what you thought it was (lack of information).

There is the third option of Him being a liar or non-existent and such, but I have never experienced anything to suggest or reinforce that stance, and so I can't consider it an actual possibility.

There are a lot of variables. It's complicated.

† Christian Member †

And that's exactly where I thought you would go with it.

And exactly why I said "going into semantics". This meme sums it up fairly well, I think:

Posted Image

Or maybe what you define as Faith,and what my religion defines as Faith are two different things.

I have Faith in God to know that He will do what He has shown Himself to do repeatedly. I don't know for a fact in a demonstrate-able way (evidence) to show others He will do what He has done again, but He has given me reason to believe He won't change (in that He has always done it) and so, for me, it is no different than fact that He will continue to do what He has always done.

I used the generic "always done" for a reason. Ultimately, for me and my religion, Faith means simply trusting God to be who He is and has always shown Himself to be. It's when you start extrapolating that to mean certain specific things that it tends to fail, either because He isn't who you believed Him to be, or that what you had Faith to happen wasn't what you thought it was (lack of information).

There is the third option of Him being a liar and such, but I have never seen such a thing, and so I can't consider it an actual possibility.

There are a lot of variables. It's complicated.

I'm too tired to carry on :) I need sleep. Nice chatting with you guys and gals. I will continue this discussion later :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Hail Sithis!

Well you said that Faith is believing in false principles. That's quite insulting.

No, @beebskadoo said it is based upon, not believing in, false principles. Obviously, I disagree with that, but we should be careful to understand what the other side says so we can understand why they might say it and address that. 

Also, Beeb, I edited that post you quoted. Might want to check it for the corrections/improvements/alterations. They are minor, but they are there.

† Christian Member †