What is your belief in God? (No racism or flaming please)

solosdk

What has begun? This has been really light-hearted so far, with the occasional spattering of someone politely explaining a scientific principle or giving a reason for their belief. EXACTLY what we want, right?

I have to say this has been much better than the last thread on this subject lol

They get locked.

I think he means "what gets them locked", not "what happens to them..".

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Some people say that there is no way that intelligent design exists, because we have no explanation as to why. Others say it has to exist, because we can't explain why anything else would happen. Either of those arguments are valid until science finds proof of one or the other. I say to Creationists (separate from those who only believe in intelligent design), however, that if you read the bible, and all you get out of it is that you need to go around trying to convince people that the universe is only 5,774 years old, you are missing the entire point.

"Do not unto your neighbor as you would not have them do unto you. All the rest is commentary. Now go and study."

--Rabbi Akivah, a long time ago

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

What about evolution? I don't believe in it. What are your beliefs?

Agnostic theism

Didnt even know what agnostic was until i googled it lol. But i read it and it just plain fit. I my self think that there is a god by just how everything is setup. Religions are so similar is how they are and science doesn't truly answer the big bang. Something created us. Science is how we will find out.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Hey, I'm a fervent atheist (read previous responses plz). I just believe even more strongly that atheism is not a religion.

As you said, there are multiple interpretations of the model. There's no reason afaik that time could not have been without space at the start, but yes you are correct that the original big bang concept is an explosion of the universe from nothing.

I follow no religion, but if any 'way of life' or belief is classified as a religion then for me it's definitely 'Science' - if that clarifies anything

Technically time started with the expansion of space, it is a non-entity other than a sole unit of measurement derived by Humans :)  What is time relative to night and day if not only a number?

I would leave that to a different thread. One controversial thing at a time please.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

What has begun? This has been really light-hearted so far, with the occasional spattering of someone politely explaining a scientific principle or giving a reason for their belief. EXACTLY what we want, right?

Agreed.

no option for Agnositc Theist?

I don't believe in religion, but I believe in a form of deity is likely to exist. 

To oversimplify, Theist doesn't mean you follow religion explicitly, it just means "someone who believes in a God". 

You might think that's deism, but it's also theism, because the only difference is the use of the word "God" and "Deity" which are effectively the same thing in the general definition (though not most religion's definitions). 

Theism - belief in the existence of god or gods. 

Though it's generally used in regards to a One God (like Christianity, Judaism, or Islam) who created the universe, it is also generally used as the above definition gives.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Slaeowulf, pretty obvious your trying to bring down this thread or start a flame war.

Quite the opposite, actually. I'm trying to keep it light-hearted and jokey :) I think that's what this threads needs, don't you?

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Oh crap son.

WHY!?

I have watched cells I cultured evolve in a petri dish; only those with the genes to survive the environment they were in survived. If I added penicilin to the dish, a lot of them died, but the ones who survived were then immune to penicilin. How can you deny it in the face of such evidence?

Did God start the process of evolution? Maybe, but don't try to tell me it didn't happen.

Oh crap son.

WHY!?

I have watched cells I cultured evolve in a petri dish; only those with the genes to survive the environment they were in survived. If I added penicilin to the dish, a lot of them died, but the ones who survived were then immune to penicilin. How can you deny it in the face of such evidence?

Did God start the process of evolution? Maybe, but don't try to tell me it didn't happen.

I personally believe we don't come from monkeys

What is there to believe in? Evolution is a fact. That's like holding up a pen and saying you don't believe in pens.

Guess I couldn't resist; That one pushed me over the edge :D

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Considering that I question the validity of any form of science the dives into the past (astronomy, geology, paleontology, etc) based purely on scientific terms (i.e. I don't question it because my religion says otherwise, but because, as a scientist, I find their methods of deriving "evidence" questionable at best), I am pretty sure you can guess my beliefs regarding it.

I want to clarify that Evolution most certainly exists. However extrapolating that to the past, which we know so painstakingly little about, imo, is wrong in that it defies the basic precepts of science. 

I personally like Francis Bacon's view on Science. If you are wondering, he is one of the Scientists who helped develop the scientific method. To paraphrase, he basically believed that if you couldn't objectively test it in a lab setting, it could not be called evidence, nor fact. Only hypothesis and undetermined things of that nature. 

I believe Evolution exists, but to say it has done so much when we truly know so little, I think, is far too large a claim to make. The Big Bang and anything else delving so far into the past falls into this same category for me. Questionable science. 

† Christian Member †

Nah, we don't come from monkeys... sorry!

>atheist presents evidence

>theist rejects evidence out of hand

>wonders how people can complain when atheists get annoyed at theists..

see thread votes...not to surprised at the votes. Doesn't read thread as I wont want to see any augments....kind of glad that this has gotten to 5 pages with out being locked. 

post-1860-0-25156700-1382401893.jpg

Aren't you breaking the rule that you stated to no debating these topics? I mean come on these all tie into one topic and your starting one. You have just added to the death of this thread.

Aren't you breaking the rule that you stated to no debating these topics? I mean come on these all tie into one topic and your starting one. You have just added to the death of this thread.

Glad someone else noticed that this was by far the most inciteful comment on this thread so far lol

Ok lets just leave it as that. Respect everyone's views remember. I respect yours, you should respect mine.

You have to be kidding me. This HAS to be a troll to get responses... Respect is earned, not given.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Agreed.

To oversimplify, Theist doesn't mean you follow religion explicitly, it just means "someone who believes in a God". 

You might think that's deism, but it's also theism, because the only difference is the use of the word "God" and "Deity" which are effectively the same thing in the general definition (though not most religion's definitions). 

Theism - belief in the existence of god or gods. 

Though it's generally used in regards to a One God (like Christianity, Judaism, or Islam) who created the universe, it is also generally used as the above definition gives.

Well, my views on a deity are more towards the likelihood of a species having previously advanced both technologically and biologically that the standard convention of normal life do not apply, and they as a whole to current human understanding would be closer to a deity then normal.

Its more a view based on scientific perspective, but It's also possible a conventional Deity actually exists. just less likely then a technologically formed deity. hence why i use Agnostic Theism over pure Theist.

Plus, traditional Theists and Atheists both get fairly confused at the concept of a belief without a religion, so having Agnostic tacked on saves explaining it constantly.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

>atheist presents evidence

>theist rejects evidence out of hand

>wonders how people can complain when atheists get annoyed at theists..

Actually, I don't think either side has presented any evidence (besides peer reviewed text and theories).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Yeah but sometimes mate whats a joke to you isnt to others. Thats not your fault I agree, but its best not to go down that road. It needs humor i agree, but sometimes it just cant be done....sad really.

What have I said that could possibly be offensive? -.- Are you just trying to derail the thread?

But...it was going so well *sniff*