Alibaba chooses AMD

Prysin

Great news for AMD!

Alibaba, the Chinese competitor to Amazon, has decided that their next server hardware partner will be AMD. This should bring in some serious money for AMD.

Graphics chips increasingly fit the bill to power cloud data centers.

Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba has agreed to use graphics processing chips from Advanced Micro Devices in servers that power its cloud computing services.

The win for AMD comes as the once-struggling chipmaker is on the comeback trail with new chips to compete with Intel and Nvidia. Shares of AMD, which have skyrocketed 126% this year, gained 5% in pre-market trading on Friday.

Alibaba BABA -0.29% will use AMD’s Radeon Pro chips to expand its cloud offerings, AMD said in a release. Though Alibaba’s main focus has been on e-commerce, the company is diversifying. Its cloud subsidiary competes with Amazon Web Services, the Microsoft Azure operation, and many others in the market to offer online storage and software services to corporate customers.

The company’s (AMD) share price hit bottom at $1.83 in February. In early trading on Friday at $6.80, the shares have nearly quadrupled since that time.

Source: http://fortune.com/2016/10/14/alibaba-amd-cloud-server/?sf38907516=1

AMD I CHOOSE YOU

The company’s (AMD) share price hit bottom at $1.83 in February. In early trading on Friday at $6.80, the shares have nearly quadrupled since that time.

Man, say what you like about the risk but if you get lucky, you can make a fortune on these penny stocks! xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Man, say what you like about the risk but if you get lucky, you can make a fortune on these penny stocks! xD 

yup

imagine putting in 1000 USD back then.... oh the curse of hindsight

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

yup

I should've convinced my dad to do it...

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Can't believe Amazon has competitors...

where I live, pretty much no one buys from Amazon. So pretty unsurprising to me Amazon has competition :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

yup

I actually almost did, but then decided that amds stock has been low for so long that it wont raise much. Hindsight indeed....

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, Minibois said:

where I live, pretty much no one buys from Amazon. So pretty unsurprising to me Amazon has competition :P 

LE GASP, IMPOSSIBRU

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Alibaba BABA -0.29% will use AMD’s Radeon Pro chips to expand its cloud offerings

Aren't these the chips that made no sense since they fit no use case? :P 

They must like the 16 core Zen parts AMD showed them xD

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

2 minutes ago, TheMissxu said:

They must like the 16 core Zen parts AMD showed them xD

Radeon Pro is GPUs, not CPUs.

AMD doesnt have jack shit to offer against intel in the CPU server space (yet) But they can compete with Nvidia for GPU acceleration.

Good to see that ATI is still holding AMD afloat. Must be the best purchase decision they ever made that, buying ATI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

18 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Good to see that ATI is still holding AMD afloat. Must be the best purchase decision they ever made that, buying ATI.

well it's bit of a double edged sword.

On the one hand , the ati purchase kept them afloat when their bulldozer failed , and it's a major part of their apu strategy

On the other hand , they spent 5.4 Billion $ on ATI , and they might not be in the dire financial situation they are now if they had kept the money

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

well it's bit of a double edged sword.

On the one hand , the ati purchase kept them afloat when their bulldozer failed , and it's a major part of their apu strategy

On the other hand , they spent 5.4 Billion $ on ATI , and they might not be in the dire financial situation they are now if they had kept the money

truth be told, they would probably be gone by now if they hadnt,

Intel woulda crushed them in the CPU sector, and they wouldnt have had a "fallback" plan. OR alternatively, they would have had to resort to being a "low end" brand until the end of times, only selling budget offerings, because they would never get the RnD money to get into the performance CPU market.

ATI was their savior, the only thing we CAN argue on is the purchasing price... it was steep, maybe it should have been half a billion or more less. Maybe that would have saved them from todays situation?

Just now, Prysin said:

truth be told, they would probably be gone by now if they hadnt,

Intel woulda crushed them in the CPU sector, and they wouldnt have had a "fallback" plan. OR alternatively, they would have had to resort to being a "low end" brand until the end of times, only selling budget offerings, because they would never get the RnD money to get into the performance CPU market.

ATI was their savior, the only thing we CAN argue on is the purchasing price... it was steep, maybe it should have been half a billion or more less. Maybe that would have saved them from todays situation?

you have a point . After all , their semicustom business wouldn't be possible without it . However , their isn't a lot of money in graphics . Despite their cpu competitiveness ( or lack thereof ) , their cpu business still brings in most of the money . 

Just look at nvidia , who are forced to branch out into other markets like deep learning . Their simply isn't enough money in that market  

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Nice. They probably saw and like something heh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

you have a point . After all , their semicustom business wouldn't be possible without it . However , their isn't a lot of money in graphics . Despite their cpu competitiveness ( or lack thereof ) , their cpu business still brings in most of the money . 

Just look at nvidia , who are forced to branch out into other markets like deep learning . Their simply isn't enough money in that market  

well... thing is, dGPUs arent very likely to succeed. Nvidia doesnt have any real CPU IP, so they cannot make APUs. Thus they have to sell more expensive units only. Which is great, "gaming" devices cost more, because higher margins.

AMD on the other hand is not making real money on CPU, its APUs and Graphics that is keeping them afloat. CPUs are making money, but its not the major income atm AFAIK.

The last year its been graphics and APUs.

APUs are AMDs shot at intel, they can offer close to the same CPU performance, with notably better GPU performance at similar or lower prices. This makes them able to ship VOLUME. And that is the key word. GPUs cannot ship VOLUME, because the majority of clients doesnt need one, and if they do, they buy a GT710 or something stupid to get a couple extra video outputs and cut down application work-time by a few %.

APUs can offer the best of both worlds, and still allow for expansion, which is why they will be the savior of the company.

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

There's only so many enthusiasts/PC gamers and professionals that benefits from GPU acceleration and well frankly, since iGPUs were part of consumer grade CPUs, dGPUs sales have dipped compared to before iGPUs existed where chipset GPUs existed rather than iGPUs :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Nice. They probably saw and like something heh.

They're Asians. Lisa Su prob showed them a body pillow with Ruby on it and they all went "Kawaii" and ran off to buy their products

40 minutes ago, Prysin said:

yup

I had 400 shares when it was $2 - I sold at $6.10.  

42 minutes ago, Prysin said:

yup

I was given a choice by my parents to buy some shares (with my own money ovb) if I wanted and I almost jumped onto AMD when they were $1.9~ ;-; 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)