Pepe the Frog Is Listed as a Hate Symbol

PTGod

News sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/us/pepe-the-frog-is-listed-as-a-hate-symbol-by-the-anti-defamation-league.html

http://time.com/4510849/pepe-the-frog-adl-hate-symbol/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13083400/anti-defamation-league-pepe-the-frog-trump-alt-right-hate

These articles talk about how pepe the frog has become a symbol for racism, more specifically anti-semitism. It's almost sad that this is what the world has come to. " The alt-right, a movement of extremists that uses white-supremacist iconography and mixes it with pop culture, co-opted the frog cartoon to appear with a Hitler-like mustache, wearing a skullcap or a Ku Klux Klan hood, the league said, adding that the images were used “in hateful messages aimed at Jewish and other users on Twitter.” 

Pepe the frog will be so rare that it will gone extinct because of the hate

@Lays I'm so sorry for your loss

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

It's amazing how this group has been out for over a century, and the only time I've ever heard of them, is when they've tried to call a meme a "hate symbol".

Though, from what I've read, they are a group that have no real power, and essentially frowns upon things they deem bad. Basically, tumblr before tumblr was tumblr. It does make me think though: Will I be offended by something I do not understand as I get older, and technology transcends beyond my understanding? Or are these just overly offended people looking for things to pin hatred on? 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Most likely because it's used by 4chan and r/The_Donald. It's a good meme but controversial sites use it way to often for it not to have a negative connotation.

It's nice to know there are people in the world that are so weak and easily offended by a fictional character.

It's an anthropomorphic frog in a meme, for fuck sake people.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

Just because some idiot journalists want to called it a hate symbol doesn't make it one, even if some idiotic society (whom I've never heard of) decides to go along with this crap

Image result for pepe the frog

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

13 minutes ago, ConnorDahne said:

@Lays I'm so sorry for your loss

Especially, dare I say, @babadoctor.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The number 12 is a numeric symbol for Aryan Brotherhood groups (as are the numbers 1 and 2 separately), especially the Aryan Brotherhood of Texas. Substituting letters for numbers, 12 equals AB, i.e., Aryan Brotherhood.

This is a quote from those idiots website, so there is no reason to take them seriously if the number 12 is also on their list for some reason xD

Pepe for all and for all a good night

Image result for pepe claus

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

This is a quote from those idiots website, so there is no reason to take them seriously if the number 12 is also on their list for some reason xD

Pepe for all and for all a good night

Image result for pepe claus

Hey man, the number twelve is scary.  It could be two fives and a pair or some individuals, a group of threes, or many twos, or a bunch of ones.  Too much possibility.

5 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Hey man, the number twelve is scary.  It could be two fives and a pair or some individuals, a group of threes, or many twos, or a bunch of ones.  Too much possibility.

1100 or 0xC

3spooky5me

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

So people who hate white people call large portion of a population something and then claim the moral high ground for not being bigoted. Yep, sounds like america alright

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

(((ADL)))

ccd.png

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

While this is dumb, people not knowing the ADL and claiming it is irrelevant don't pay enough attention to things. It's a very strong lobby.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

If anyone would care to read the website, they provide this little disclaimer:

However, because so many Pepe the Frog memes are not bigoted in nature, it is  important to examine use of the meme only in context.  The mere fact of posting a Pepe meme does not mean that someone is racist or white supremacist.  However, if the meme itself is racist or anti-Semitic in nature, or if it appears in a context containing bigoted or offensive language or symbols, then it may have been used for hateful purposes.

So, keep using your Pepes. It's fine.

However, here is an example of one that isn't considered fine by them. Ugh, I feel dirty just posting it.

pepethefrog-2.jpg

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

3 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

However, here is an example of one that isn't considered fine by them. Ugh, I feel dirty just posting it.

pepethefrog-2.jpg

But that is funny. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Just now, SeriouslyMikey said:

But that is funny. 

Is it? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Your avatar, now that's funny.

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Just now, Shakaza said:

Is it? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Your avatar, now that's funny.

Humour comes from many things, such as racism. That Pepe frog is clearly not meant to be serious and that's why it's funny. 

When someone is sincere, that's when the problem arises. However, there should never be a hold on speech, even if it's racist or offensive. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

10 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

pepethefrog-2.jpg

Basically:

"Pepe is only racist/hateful if the intend is racist/hateful"

Kind of a weak argument to get it recognized as a hate symbol.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Never been so happy with the fact that I don't follow these stupid memes. It used to just be cute stuff that everyone shared, but then people like my younger brother started making them far more antagonistic.

4 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Humour comes from many things, such as racism. That Pepe frog is clearly not meant to be serious and that's why it's funny. 

When someone is sincere, that's when the problem arises. However, there should never be a hold on speech, even if it's racist or offensive. 

The only question is when does it stop being the expression of an opinion and start being an attack on someone? My interpretation of that image is that it is reminded black people will always be black and thus inferior to white people, and the use of the n-word generally has the connotation of regarding someone with a dark skin color to be inferior by definition. It has other meanings in different contexts, but the one I mentioned is the only interpretation that I (personally, can't speak for anyone else) can draw from it due to word choice and structure. Thus, because of my own internal definitions, I regard the usage of this to be hate speech, and will express my strong disdain for it and urge people, in order to decrease the amount of suffering in the world (even if it's marginal), to do the same.

However, I don't believe that an organization like the ADL should have the power to censor these images. Because the nature of offensiveness and harm caused are completely subjective, there can be no universal law determining the acceptability of such media. I just think that we should create the societal idea that images such as these can be harmful and kept to a relative minimum. Even if the original intent is to provide humor, the propagation of the messages contained within can indeed hurt the people who consume that media. While the effects are marginal, as they should be, since people ought to learn to take insults, special cases do exist. Of course, if the original intent of something is to entertain or amuse, and someone else comes to harm because of a misconception of intent, the original creator isn't at fault, because they cannot control how other people view what they create, but I think they ought to bear that in mind when making it, and strive to be kind and caring.

37 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Sure, and because there isn't a hold on speech the ADL gets to call it a hate symbol. 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

THIS IS MADNESS

angry_pepe.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)