Haunted Hardware Ep. 1 - Doom Vulkan Error

14 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

It's the Nvidia ShadowPlay frame counter.

Oh my goodness...  The one place I didn't check.  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, AudibleJello said:

I have an FPS counter on all of my games, yet I do not have Fraps on my computer anymore.  I have reinstalled it, deactivated the counter, then uninstalled it again, yet I still have this counter.  Is this coming from another program?  I have MSI Afterburner and SpeedFan installed, but I don't think I ever activated a counter on those, and I've gone into Steam's options and the box isn't checked there either.  It's not a big deal, but I don't really want it there anymore.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MAX MOBO.png

Check Geforce Experience.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Rocking a 1st gen APU. Hard to replace the GPU on that thing...

Motherboard then?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 hours ago, Splenda_1 said:

I would expect the same behavior on the desktop then.

In my opinion:

The way FRAPs runs is by setting hooks into the OpenGL/DirectX code where FRAPs is notified every time a frame is drawn. If I had to make a guess as to what was going on here the 1060M drivers are probably using the Vulkan API to do most of the work before passing the completed frame to OpenGL/(or more likely)DirectX APIs for the actual display for compatibility/hardware reasons. Since it is doing this FRAPs is still able to count the number of frames pushed per second and display the FPS counter. A good way to test this idea would be to actually hook into the APIs yourself and see if the frame is being pushed with OpenGL/DirectX (easier said then done).

If this idea is true it is most likely happening at NVIDIA's driver level and would be present on all 1060M laptops. If I had to take a guess as to what is causing this is NVIDIA's Optimus technology pushing all frames through the integrated graphics chip. (Check out the Optimus Whitepaper if you're feeling nerdy.)

TLDR; Turn off Optimus and try again.

nice mention, i recall the linus man turning off the iGPU, but i dont think he checked what the laptop's display is driven by (an easy one to miss in all honesty :P)

@LinusTech have you tried with an external display on a port that is shown in nvidia control panel as being driven by the dGPU? optimus is kinda known to be a crazy bag of cats at times, wouldnt be surprised if it was somehow related here.

I noticed that Linus has v1.0.13 of Vulkan in DOOM while i have v1.0.21 so maybe that has something to with the haunted hardware

IMG_20160920_203122.jpg

Could this be due to variable refresh rates that some laptop monitors have?  Maybe Fraps is taking the reading of the monitor.

here is my haunted story - it is my computer as a whole. 

it has had a terrible life, but lately the display will just randomly decide to display pure black, or pure white, or a random shade of grey (i can see you laughing already), the audio will still work perfectly - but the video cannot work until the pc is turned off and on again. what the hell is this problem? i doubt it is the GPU since this NEVER HAPPENS DURING GAMING. which i dont get.

I dunno WHAT you guys have done, but the video quality in this looks AMAZING. Watching at 4k 40". Someone tag Brandon or something 

Just posting in this thread to point out the same thing happens on GTX 960m. This is a screenshot I took of fraps running WITH fraps while running doom in Vulkan.

Side note: I am aware doom runs like, and looks like garbage on my laptop. Turning on Vulkan costs me a solid 15-25 frames too, so I can't claim switching to Vulkan isn't doing anything.

DOOMx64vk 2016-09-20 21-19-20-48.jpg

My Sony DVD burner will always cause problems with Sony branded media, no matter what I try to do, even updating its firmware didn't help. My Samsung DVD-ROM can read almost any disc, even those that was burned by the burner itself can't read it, but that Samsung can. In Roxio 5, I always have to stare at it so it will complete its job successfully cause every time I looked away or go do something else, it gives a fail error.

Had 2 new builds once, with exact same specs including a pair of PCI 56K modems, one for each computer. On build #1, modem #1 will not get a dial tone. On build #2, modem #2 does. I took out modem #2 and installed into build #1 and it gets a dial tone. Okay so now I thought, maybe modem #1 was defective, just to be sure, I took modem #1 and installed into build #2. It gets a dial tone too. So I went out and got myself 3rd of the same modem and that one works in both builds #1 and 2. Somehow modem #1 just refuses to work with build #1. I can let it go by swapping the modems, but no, I want to get to the bottom of this and find out why it's doing that. I switch the parts between these 2 builds, update to the latest bios and did a clean install of Windows. Nope modem #1 still won't work with build #1, no dial tone. Maybe that's how it was, hardware problems that have no explanation? Can't give up yet, after spending all this time trying to find out why it's causing it, I went into the bios on build #1 and disabled every back i/o ports, expect for the PS/2 keyboard and mouse, cause I need it. After saving bios and booting into Windows modem #1 and build #1 get a dial tone! Went back to bios and enable the back i/o ports one at a time, while testing the modem for a dial tone, until all back i/o was enabled and there was no dial tone again. Checked my list of enabled i/o and notice the last thing being enabled for dial tone stopped working was them USB ports. Disable back USB, modem gets dial tone, enable usb and modem does not get dial tone. I took back the defective board and got a new one and modem #1 works fine with the new board.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Hello guys

I saw the video "haunted hardware" and thought it would be cool to discuss our own haunted hardware experience.

While i don't have a lot of time to write mine (and it's been a while since it happend to me) i'll try to share it to you guys.

Some might know that a lot of motherboards have 2 sata controllers, One called Marvel controlle and the other called Intel controller.  At the time, i didn't really know that the marvel sata controller was renouned to be unstable and plain bad so I decided to use the full potential of my motherboard. Thus, i used my Intel sata controller to setup a raid 0 array with two SSD (yolo) for my OS and use the marvel controller to setup a raid 1 array for two 1TB hdd for data backups. The setup went well, i Had twice the storage size and twice the speed on my  raid 0 array and 1 TB of storrage and 2 HDD detected on my raid 1 array.

First weird thing: You can't use Intel and marvel setup in raid mode at the same time.  But SOMEHOW it worked for me and went perfectly stable for a year.

Then, knowing my two SSD's setup in raid 0 on my intel sata controller were samsung 450 evo, i knew i had acces to samsung magician wich could enable RAPID mode thus giving me an insane (and almost completely useless) amount of speed. So, being greedy as i am, i installed it and activated RAPID mode on my raid 0 array.

Second weird thing: You can't enable Rapid mode on SSDs while they're being used in a raid array. As the first weird thing, It worked. 

The two abominations cohabited for a full year without crashes. I ran crystaldiskmark and i got 1.3 Gb/s of write speed. (wich is way higher than a regular 2x 450 EVO raid 0, thus proving RAPID mode was enabled and worked "well")

The PC ran just fine until i decided to reformat. I have never been able to reproduce it afterward. Only long after this episode I became aware of the chimera I created.

Well, that's it. I hope it's not a lame story, even if it's not as documented and wtf as Linus's video,

im pretty interested in reading yours too,

Ho, and lastly (maybe it's not related)  my 2 year old i7-4790k mildly overclocked and very well cooled died 1.5 years later. (confirmed by A LOT of diagnostics). Maybe the thing i was able to do with the two controlers had something to do with it... we'll never really know.

This is an issue to troubleshoot because you're asking a black box of software (closed-source FRAPS) to count the framerate of a grey box of software (Doom + their implementation of Vulkan) running on a grey box of hardware (MSI's implementation of hardware/firmware). My first question is how FRAPS gets the framerate in the first place, because "it's not designed to work with LLAPI" is a bit ambiguous (and Google's seemingly changed their algorithm to make obscure searches impossible). 

Splenda_1's explanation sounds the most feasible:

20 hours ago, Splenda_1 said:

I would expect the same behavior on the desktop then.

In my opinion:

The way FRAPs runs is by setting hooks into the OpenGL/DirectX code where FRAPs is notified every time a frame is drawn. If I had to make a guess as to what was going on here the 1060M drivers are probably using the Vulkan API to do most of the work before passing the completed frame to OpenGL/(or more likely)DirectX APIs for the actual display for compatibility/hardware reasons. Since it is doing this FRAPs is still able to count the number of frames pushed per second and display the FPS counter. A good way to test this idea would be to actually hook into the APIs yourself and see if the frame is being pushed with OpenGL/DirectX (easier said then done).

If this idea is true it is most likely happening at NVIDIA's driver level and would be present on all 1060M laptops. If I had to take a guess as to what is causing this is NVIDIA's Optimus technology pushing all frames through the integrated graphics chip. (Check out the Optimus Whitepaper if you're feeling nerdy.)

TLDR; Turn off Optimus and try again.

Although I imagine there may be a simpler way to tell which API it's using, if anyone around the LMG office has Visual Studio, or anyone reading this has Doom and Visual Studio, maybe download this tool and see if it reports that it's DirectX. Here and here's the code that app uses to determine that info. 

It looks like Sysinternals Process Explorer can show you what DLL's a program has running. Use Process Explorer to see if Doom's actually using D3D*.dll or opengl32.dll. This won't solve it for certain, but it could narrow it down; I don't have Doom to test on. It appears that (after going through its setup process), Vulkanized Dota 2 loads vulkan-1.dll and opengl32.dll, and doesn't load d3d9.dll. 

I had a quadcore desktop that was haunted. Had. It was something along the lines of, 50% chance of when you plug it in, it turns on by itself. It blue screened on a cold boot. If it refused to post, reseat the memory and it might fix it. If it fails to post another time and the reseat of the memory doesn't fix it, replace the CMOS battery to fix it. If you got past post and windows decides to freeze up at boot, move some jumpers around, kick the box a couple of times. That would fix it. I ran all sorts of tests, never found the issue. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

That's a cool story. Being able to get something to work that shouldn't and having no idea what the right combo of installs options or drivers to get it working. Pretty cool. 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

When I built my first PC it only worked when horizontal, not vertical.

If it moved it to vertical it would shut off.

If I tapped it then it would also shut off.

It wasn't haunted, it was just the noob of me who didn't know you had to SHOVE the ram into the slot really hard for it to make proper contact.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Maybe it's because this was done on an MSi GHOST series laptop!!...Oh wait...they call it "Stealth" now... *joke ruined**cries in a corner* D:

Can you see if this is specific to DOOM by testing other games?

What MSI laptop is he using in the video, can anyone please tell me, I'm curious to know...:P

Did it really need a whole 12 minute video?

Like, seriously . . .

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Only haunted hardware story I have that I can remember (working in a school system I saw a lot of strange things, but chalked it up to old tired hardware) is a friend that lived directly under a low'ish power line. The things that his computers and devices did blew my mind. The guy claimed he saw ghosts as well. So it might not have been just the electronics that were malfunctioning. ;-D

The strangest thing that happened was errors within the system. It always boggled my mind all the weird stuff that took place when he was rocking a server board with ECC memory.

Lesson learned: don't live under power lines.

Is the laptop in this video the 

MSI Stealth Pro laptop - 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive

I have a haunted PC.. Well, look at Voltages lists...

f564766ff0e5151dd5e3a1eff4cec3cc.gif

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync