Edge continues to dominate battery life - Firefox now is the worst. Chrome is second worst.

GoodBytes

You may recall several months ago, Microsoft showed how Edge had hands down the best battery life in terms of streaming video on mobile platform, and with a daring video comparison showing how it fairs using identical systems (Surface Books).

Since then, Opera pushed its battery saver feature, and Chrome worked a lot in improving is battery life in the latest Chrome when it comes on video playback, even doing another video doing its own video streaming test with Surface Book comparing the old version of Chrome and the latest one.

As Windows 10 Anniversary Update is now released to most people (still being distributed in waves, Microsoft estimates it will continue until November), the Edge team goes a step further.

They now provide more details on their tests, including source code of their test module so that anyone can run the test on their side and compare. On top of that, Edge got further battery improvement, AND on top of things, Edge was playing 1080p Netflix, while the other web browser was only rendering 720p.

The results are interesting. Firefox is now officially the worst web browser for video streaming for battery life, then Chrome, then Opera, and the best results Edge.

Microsoft in its blog posts says:

Back in June, we shared a look at Microsoft Edge’s industry-leading efficiency, which allows Microsoft Edge users to rely on more battery life than the other browsers we tested. With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, we made a number of additional improvements to make Microsoft Edge last even longer, and today we’re rerunning our tests with the latest version of each tested browser to see how things match up.

At the risk of giving away the ending, the results may look familiar! With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft Edge is more efficient than ever, and still the best choice for extending your battery life on Windows 10 – up to 24%-43% more efficient than the competition for general purpose browsing, and lasting up to 23%-69% longer when streaming video.

More in details, the team behind Edge says that under simulated web surfing scenarios, the new version of Edge (the one in the Anniversary Update) is 12% more power efficient than the previous version.

fig-1-efficiency.png

fig-2-efficiency.png

fig-3-measurements.png

From the moment we decided to revisit our tests, we were committed to measuring real-world scenarios with a completely transparent methodology. To back up our results, we’re open sourcing our lab test on GitHub and publishing the full methodology for our video tests, so anyone can see the setup and even reproduce the tests independently.

While we’ve open sourced the tests and made some minor updates to maintain compatibility with updates to third party browsers, our approach is very similar to our previous tests. We measured efficiency in a few different ways:

In our lab test, we simulated common real-world activities like searching, watching videos, shopping, and reading e-mail, using multiple tabs with background activity to simulate a natural browsing session and measuring power consumption directly with hardware instrumentation. We’ve open-sourced this full test, and you can see everything you need to reproduce the lab tests for yourself on our GitHub repository here, or review the methodology document here.

Next, we repeated our video rundown test, looping a streaming video on a range of identical devices and recording when each died. You can find the video test methodology documented here (Netflix test) and here (Vimeo test).

Source 1: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/15/12926524/microsoft-edge-chrome-battery-response-tests

Source 2: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/09/15/edge-battery-anniversary-update/#f6sqtEZ36TeJTzTA.97

Source code of test: https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/BrowserEfficiencyTest/releases/tag/bloggedVersion

So what is coming form Edge?

Well looking under the latest Insider Preview of Windows 10 (Redstone 2 update - Build 14926).

HTML5Test (https://html5test.com/), the web browser gets: 481 out of 555 points under HTML5 test.

Under Firefox 48.0.2, the web browser gets a score of 459 out of 555

As for Chrome: 499 out of 555

So, still works need to be done on the web browser engine for increasing its HTML5 support, however it past the latest version of Firefox.

We will see how this fairs when Redstone is officially released in March 2017.

From HTML5Test:

chart.png

The web browser is moving fast. Still works need to be done throughout, and missing basic features like not keeping the rendered pages in memory when you move back or forward on a web page like it does in Firefox for instant navigation. But the web browser is getting there.

Microsoft has a lot of convincing to do as Chrome is continuing to grow in popularity and Edge growing but slowly.

The web browser, last year, based on netmarketshare.com had 2.67%, now it reached 5.16%. Safari, Firefox, and IE is decreasing, Chrome has 53.97% market share, while it was 31.12% last year (well in October).

Capture.PNG

https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=1&qpcustomb=0

Are you considering switching web browser? If so, from which to which?

huh good thing my desktop has a cord :P 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

huh good thing my desktop has a cord :P 

My laptop has a cord too. :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I like Edge but it will lock up too often and just not work well with many websites. I want to ditch chrome but I can't as Edge doesn't compare in reliability.

I like FireFox though ):

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

8 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I like FireFox though ):

I vastly prefer the FireFox UI over Chrome, but I've been having on and off FireFox issues for ages.

YouTube issues, freezing and stitching/stuttering issues, etc. On multiple computers with wildly different configurations. I really don't want to use Chrome.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I vastly prefer the FireFox UI over Chrome, but I've been having on and off FireFox issues for ages.

YouTube issues, freezing and stitching/stuttering issues, etc. On multiple computers with wildly different configurations. I really don't want to use Chrome.

Ya I do have a small issue with YouTube where it doesn't want to type in a comment. There is a fix that works.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ya I do have a small issue with YouTube where it doesn't want to type in a comment. There is a fix that works.

My issues with YouTube usually resolve around a video taking several seconds (up to 30, in random cases) to start playing. And FireFox used to constantly crash YoUTube videos. It was worse w/ Flash videos, but even HTML5 player crashes sometimes on FireFox. Annoying.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

What's battery life? My computer can only stay on for 17ms after the power cuts

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

My issues with YouTube usually resolve around a video taking several seconds (up to 30, in random cases) to start playing. And FireFox used to constantly crash YoUTube videos. It was worse w/ Flash videos, but even HTML5 player crashes sometimes on FireFox. Annoying.

It was really bad but now it's fine, haven't had a crash on a video since may

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It was really bad but now it's fine, haven't had a crash on a video since may

I still have occasional HTML5 crashing on FireFox over a variety of systems, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I still have occasional HTML5 crashing on FireFox over a variety of systems, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Hmm, maybe I just lucked out.

To be fair Firefox was much less stable back when I had ABP on it. ublock origin is better at keeping it stable

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I'm all for good web browser benchmark data, I'd just prefer to get it from a source other than a youtube account called Microsoft Edge, presumably operated by Microsoft, who hasn't exactly been fair and unbiased with any of their marketing surrounding Windows 10, or their methods employed to get people using it.

Also, the video has a faded disclaimer that says "individual results may vary", and commenting for the video has been disabled.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

What's battery life? My computer can only stay on for 17ms after the power cuts

Well my computer can stay on for 20ms so...I think my PC is better...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Not to dismiss the miles of work MS has done in year and a half since announcing Edge but man does Edge still has a hefty list of user features that need to work, in the last two years i went from chrome to waterfox (64bit firefox) to opera for over a year and now i'm back to chrome since  2 months ago and while chrome 53 made good fixes, there are still some annoyances i would like to go away but alas i have more fucking problems with other browsers that i have with chrome, firefox crashes more often that i would like, otherwise it freezes a lot, opera well they sold out to a china corp it's going to be a matter of time before they either turns into a data whore worst that chrome or turns into shit, Edge like i said lacks a lot of user features, tbh i think currently all browsers are quite shit

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well my computer can stay on for 20ms so...I think my PC is better...

Wow, that's 17% better than mine. What's your secret?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I'm all for good web browser benchmark data, I'd just prefer to get it from a source other than a youtube account called Microsoft Edge, presumably operated by Microsoft, who hasn't exactly been fair and unbiased with any of their marketing surrounding Windows 10, or their methods employed to get people using it.

Not to mention their past dealings in the browser wars. Netscape Navigator did not just up and die out of nowhere.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

that is why they released a doc with all the info on how to reproduce their tests, and they open sourced their benchmark, MS has a shit ton of crap of then but these claims have actual data to back them up, for i dunno how long they are not throwing shit at us in this case.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Wow, that's 17% better than mine. What's your secret?

You know...get a plat rated PSU ;) (and on a more serious note, it's only got a hold up time of 18.8ms ;-;)

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

You know...get a plat rated PSU ;) (and on a more serious note, it's only got a hold up time of 18.8ms ;-;)

If I had tho money, I would get a Seasonic PRIME PSU those got something like 40ms hold-up time xD

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

If I had tho money, I would get a Seasonic PRIME PSU those got something like 40ms hold-up time xD

Well my XTS is best PSU...from XFX so I'm fine for noow :D 

I'll believe it when I see a comparison on a neutral OS.  Wouldn't be surprised it MS actively sabotages non-MS browsers on an OS level in an attempt to get people to use the trainwreck that is Edge.

I saw battery life improvements updating to the anniversary update, not by switching from Firefox to Edge-that made the laptop run warmer in my lap and drained the battery faster. Its still not true for all devices. At all.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL