Edge continues to dominate battery life - Firefox now is the worst. Chrome is second worst.

GoodBytes

So I'm guessing this is normal? It's been really sluggish after the Anniversary update as well.

Untitled.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

UI Stuff - Why would you?

Opera 12.x, my favorite browser ever, let me bend the UI to my will. I could make it look like anything I wanted. I loved that, and Vivaldi is trying to revive that.

Custom Themes - There's a light theme and a dark theme. I haven't heard a single Edge user complain about this!

But what if I want more than two themes? What if I want to make my own?

Tab Stacking - I have no idea what stacked tabs are so I'm not gonna comment here. The only thing I've seen is that it doesn't look nice.

Imagine taking two or so tabs, then "stacking" them so they take up the same amount of room as a single tab. Best feature ever existed.

Dedicated search bar? - Bruh......

I prefer having the search and URL bars separate. Makes typing in certain searches so much easier.

Oh, so you can take notes with your browser? That's cool :P

6 minutes ago, Daring said:

Opera 12.x, my favorite browser ever, let me bend the UI to my will. I could make it look like anything I wanted. I loved that, and Vivaldi is trying to revive that.

But what if I want more than two themes? What if I want to make my own?

Imagine taking two or so tabs, then "stacking" them so they take up the same amount of room as a single tab. Best feature ever existed.

I prefer having the search and URL bars separate. Makes typing in certain searches so much easier.

Oh, so you can take notes with your browser? That's cool :P

You can do all of those things with Edge.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I will conduct my own battery life numbers at some point when I'm not busy.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

You can't move the tab bar to the left, right, or bottom sides of the browser, disable the URL bar, control the entire browser with your keyboard and customize the UI further than what the settings menu allows through custom CSS in Edge.

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

You can't move the tab bar to the left, right, or bottom sides of the browser, disable the URL bar, control the entire browser with your keyboard and customize the UI further than what the settings menu allows through custom CSS in Edge.

Yes you can. Advanced settings, layouts.

You can certainly control the whole browser with your keyboard. Every browser has hot-key combos to do everything without a mouse. It's just like VIM. It takes a little time to learn.

No, you can do whole custom theme changes, though admittedly some of them have to be done in Windows settings for some stupid reason.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I guess it's fair to say that anyone with coding prowess can do anything out of any moddable browser. Even people without it can find the extension they need (with the caveat that it may be malicious).

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I will conduct my own battery life numbers at some point when I'm not busy.

Now this is something I'm interested in.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

You can certainly control the whole browser with your keyboard. Every browsers has hot-key combos to do everything without a mouse. It's just like ViM. It takes a little time to learn.

No, you can do whole custom theme changes, though admittedly some of them have to be done in Windows settings for some stupid reason.

You must be using Redstone 2 Insider Preview since I can't find it on Edge 38 (Anniversary Update)

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I guess it's fair to say that anyone with coding prowess can do anything out of any moddable browser. Even people without it can find the extension they need (with the caveat that it may be malicious).

Now this is something I'm interested in.

I'll test: Edge, Firefox, Vivladi, Chrome and Opera.

What I'll test: Playing back a ridiculously long youtube video.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I just opened up Edge and looked throughout the advanced settings for "Layouts". Couldn't find it. In fact, a lot of the features seem... much less advanced than Vivaldi.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

You can certainly control the whole browser with your keyboard. Every browsers has hot-key combos to do everything without a mouse. It's just like ViM. It takes a little time to learn.

But how about like this?

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I find nothing relevant to Edge in Windows Settings.

Mmm, I'll just stick to Vivaldi, thanks :P 

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

You must be using Redstone 2 Insider Preview since I can't find it on Edge 38 (Anniversary Update)

I have a suggestion.

Click under your own discretion.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No, vanilla edge.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Edge has the video codecs to play Netflix video content in 1080p that the company is looking for. Several Netflix board of directors used or are working at Microsoft, and Netflix has worked with Microsoft in the past together. This is why before, Netflix was using Silverlight plugin, as it had the video codec that Netflix wanted in terms of bandwidth and quality, and DRM. This relationship continues with Edge. However, other web browsers can use the codecs Microsoft is using inside Edge.

I am pretty sure Firefox/Chrome not supporting Netflix at 1080p or over is unrelated to the codecs Netflix uses. Firefox and Chrome supports the codecs Netflix uses for 1080p (I am not sure about 4K though). I haven't found any specific info (thinking of asking some Mozilla developers later) but to me it seems like it's a DRM issue.

The most logical explanation I have found so far is that Netflix does not trust third party browsers in OSes. So for example it trusts that IE and Edge got the DRM implemented all the way though the OS, so that no other application can intercept the streams. But a third party browser like Chrome or Firefox on Windows is seemed like less secure (in terms of DRM, and in Netflix's opinion) because their data might be easier to intercept.

That's why ChromeOS can play 1080p Netflix despite it having the same version of Chrome as you can get on Windows. Netflix has just gone "nope, if you want Netflix then you need to use the browser your OS shipped with, regardless of what your browser is actually capable of".

52 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

They did with Firefox. Where Chrome was the only web browser that had 60fps videos, and people switched. Now, Firefox supports it.

That was because Firefox did not support Media Source Extensions (MSE) or H.264 out of the box. Both are free and open (H.264 is debatable) web standards and Firefox just was not 100% ready with it before Google decided to use it for YouTube 60 FPS. You could enable it in about:config in Firefox though.

So you're comparing apples and oranges.

Firefox/Chrome not supporting the highest quality Netflix streams -> Artificial limitation imposed by Netflix.

Firefox not supporting 60 FPS in YouTube -> Firefox's implementation of an open standard was not ready yet.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It supports Extensions already.

You have: AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, uBlock Origin (available online as: in development, here: https://github.com/nikrolls/uBlock-Edge/releases/tag/1.7.7b14-edge)

You also have Mouse Gestures, LastPass, Amazon, Save to Pocket, and a few more

Start Edge, go to "..." > Extensions > "Get extensions from Store"

To load extensions that you got from the web, click on "Load extension" button. You have this button if you do: about:config on the URL bar, and check the box "Enable extensions developer features" and restart Edge.

only if you have redstone. I dont :/

24 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

only if you have redstone. I dont :/

Update! It's nice to have new features :).

Tinfoil hat: They have a hack built into their OS (W10) that makes battery drain faster when other browsers are used :ph34r:

still prefer chrome, never crashes or locks up even if I'm in tab monster mode.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Update! It's nice to have new features :).

It<s not an option that I have.

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I dunno, IE is the only browser that doesn't glitch with security camera software that I'm using (aka, it has no problems playing back footage live)

Try Midori if I gives you problems, I switched to that for all of my IP camera software.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, RagnarokDel said:

It<s not an option that I have.

Because?

36 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I like Google syncing everything across my devices though.

Always good to have more competent browsers to choose from. Just... no Bing pls

Microsoft has syncing with Edge.

14 hours ago, Energycore said:

What's battery life? My computer can only stay on for 17ms after the power cuts

My computer when the power cuts can stay on for a whopping I DON'T KNOW ms, estimated at 120 ms

my old one.

from 2008

and it was obsolete in 2008

and it was sold as a gaming PC in 2008

10/10 would buy IGN.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That was because Firefox did not support Media Source Extensions (MSE) or H.264 out of the box. Both are free and open (H.264 is debatable) web standards and Firefox just was not 100% ready with it before Google decided to use it for YouTube 60 FPS. You could enable it in about:config in Firefox though.

So you're comparing apples and oranges.

Firefox/Chrome not supporting the highest quality Netflix streams -> Artificial limitation imposed by Netflix.

Firefox not supporting 60 FPS in YouTube -> Firefox's implementation of an open standard was not ready yet.

Any codec could have been used, and Flash player which perfectly support 60fps videos, could also been used. If you enable 60fps on Firefox, you had other limitations.

8 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

ok then im asking you what were you trying to say with the netflix comment

Here's what I said:

10 hours ago, KuJoe said:

...I merely said that Edge and IE are the only ones that support 1080p playback in Netflix...

Here's what I was trying to say:

Edge and IE are the only ones that support 1080p playback in Netflix.

I apologize if my posts were confusing, I was on my smartphone.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft has syncing with Edge.

I really like the syncing in Chrome but I'm not comfortable with the way MS is going with their Live accounts. Logging into a browser with an account is one thing, adding that account to my OS is another. I personally don't like having my MS Live account on my desktop after the pain and suffering it brought be when I enabled my DuoSecurity 2FA and then putting the Anniversary Update on my Windows 10 boxes.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I really like the syncing in Chrome but I'm not comfortable with the way MS is going with their Live accounts. Logging into a browser with an account is one thing, adding that account to my OS is another. I personally don't like having my MS Live account on my desktop after the pain and suffering it brought be when I enabled my DuoSecurity 2FA and then putting the Anniversary Update on my Windows 10 boxes.

IDK where your idea of an "MS Live" account comes from but it doesn't exist anymore. It's simply Microsoft account.

And by the way, I'm assuming you use Android and yet you are content with signing in with your Google Account for both Android OS and Google Chrome..........

IDK where your idea of an "MS Live" account comes from but it doesn't exist anymore. It's simply Microsoft account.

And by the way, I'm assuming you use Android and yet you are content with signing in with your Google Account for both Android OS and Google Chrome..........

Live.com is still alive and well. :D Regardless of what you call it, it's still the same thing.

I have no problem using Google accounts because I've never had my Google account break my OS from an update before (not saying it couldn't happen, just saying it has never happened for me yet). Maybe because Android is my mobile OS it's different also, I won't know unless I ever get a Windows phone I guess. 

-KuJoe