Edge continues to dominate battery life - Firefox now is the worst. Chrome is second worst.

GoodBytes
1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

My issues with YouTube usually resolve around a video taking several seconds (up to 30, in random cases) to start playing. And FireFox used to constantly crash YoUTube videos. It was worse w/ Flash videos, but even HTML5 player crashes sometimes on FireFox. Annoying.

I have the same issue with YouTube; it will have a black screen and show that the video is zero seconds long, but It normally loads after about 5 seconds, and even with the issues, I still prefer it to all of the other browsers.

`

still not going to use edge on my personal pc's and laptops, if they get it out of ''beta'' and fix all the issues it has right now like locking up randomly i might try it again but for now i stay with chrome

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Haven't both Chrome and Opera done some tests that show that MS tests are supposed to be, sort of cherry picked? As in they were better in real-life applications or something similar. I know Opera was up for some challenge with MS. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Vivaldi is all i need now

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Vivaldi is all i need now

Is that still in Beta, or have they released a full product yet?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Is that still in Beta, or have they released a full product yet?

Full product, version 1 got out a couple of months ago, now at 1.3 and has many features that i can't live without any more like tab grouping, split view, dark filters for those pages that are just too white for their own good, can hibernate tabs  etc etc.

this is how i like to use it the most:

Spoiler

vivaldi 2.PNG

And then i just go wild

Spoiler

j3FV6Mz.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Full product, version 1 got out a couple of months ago, now at 1.3 and has many features that i can't live without any more like tab grouping, split view, dark filters for those pages that are just too white for their own good, can hibernate tabs  etc etc.

this is how i like to use it the most:

Reveal hidden contents

vivaldi 2.PNG

And then i just go wild

Reveal hidden contents

j3FV6Mz.png

How does it compare to FireFox and Chrome for features in general? I've been meaning to give it a try, but I don't want to give up things like easily restoring closed tabs or the previous session, syncing bookmarks, etc, between PC's, etc.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Better performance, better quality, and better battery life... MS needs to port this over to Android so I can completely get rid of Chrome.

Better performance no.....battery life yes if these tests are accurate

45 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Haven't both Chrome and Opera done some tests that show that MS tests are supposed to be, sort of cherry picked? As in they were better in real-life applications or something similar. I know Opera was up for some challenge with MS. 

Hmm I don't know but I would like to find out, I think I will look into this

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

11 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Hmm I don't know but I would like to find out, I think I will look into this

Oh there were quite a few articles. I'll find it tomorrow after my exam. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

How does it compare to FireFox and Chrome for features in general? I've been meaning to give it a try, but I don't want to give up things like easily restoring closed tabs or the previous session, syncing bookmarks, etc, between PC's, etc.

see the trash can at the bottom left of the first pic? tha's where all previously closed tabs go

when you close and reopen vivaldi or open it after a system reboot the previous session get always loaded

sync is a work in progress, so not present in v1.3

and stability wise... i'd say as fast and stable as opera, with a better support for chrome extensions (can be installed straight from the chrome webstore out of the box, no changes required to make it work), doesn't feel as heavy as chrome, tough heven't used chrome in years so can't really compare it in system load, what i can say is i currently have 50 tabs open, 14 of those are youtube, and with being the only app browser open on a freshly restarted ubuntu machine, i have 9.7GB of my 16GB RAM currently used. And compared to Firefox i still have to see it crash or freeze (which was the main reason why i moved from FF to opera)

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

see the trash can at the bottom left of the first pic? tha's where all previously closed tabs go

when you close and reopen vivaldi or open it after a system reboot the previous session get always loaded

sync is a work in progress, so not present in v1.3

and stability wise... i'd say as fast and stable as opera, with a better support for chrome extensions (can be installed straight from the chrome webstore out of the box, no changes required to make it work), doesn't feel as heavy as chrome, tough heven't used chrome in years so can't really compare it in system load, what i can say is i currently have 50 tabs open, 14 of those are youtube, and with being the only app browser open on a freshly restarted ubuntu machine, i have 9.7GB of my 16GB RAM currently used. And compared to Firefox i still have to see it crash or freeze (which was the main reason why i moved from FF to opera)

Session restore is a function i know for sure is in chrome, it's just not on by default, i turned it on and it works great.

Reopening recently closed tabs in chrome can be done with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + shift + R.

You can also go to the recently closed section in the history list thingy.

Sync, no idea, i guess that's in chrome? I don't use it :P

Vivaldi is mainly a browser for a power user, i use it from time to time and it's imo a nice browser, maybe i'll switch to it when i'm eventually bored with chrome, who knows :D

I know chrome has nice HTML5 support which is handy for school, and the main reason i mainly use it atm.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

22 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Session restore is a function i know for sure is in chrome, it's just not on by default, i turned it on and it works great.

Reopening recently closed tabs in chrome can be done with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + shift + R.

You can also go to the recently closed section in the history list thingy.

Sync, no idea, i guess that's in chrome? I don't use it :P

Vivaldi is mainly a browser for a power user, i use it from time to time and it's imo a nice browser, maybe i'll switch to it when i'm eventually bored with chrome, who knows :D

I know chrome has nice HTML5 support which is handy for school, and the main reason i mainly use it atm.

Chrome does have browser Sync. I don't use it much, but it works.

The reopening tabs thing just doesn't work as well as FireFox in my opinion.

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Better performance no.....battery life yes if these tests are accurate

I can watch a 4K video on YouTube in fullscreen without a single dropped frame on my Netbook. In Firefox, Opera, and Chrome the same video at 1080p is unwatchable. I tested this with dozens of videos on different channels with the same result. I have the same experience with Twitch, Netflix, and Amazon across all of the browsers so based strictly on streaming content Edge is by far the superior browser in terms of performance (and as a result, quality).

-KuJoe

3 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ya I do have a small issue with YouTube where it doesn't want to type in a comment. There is a fix that works.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I vastly prefer the FireFox UI over Chrome, but I've been having on and off FireFox issues for ages.

YouTube issues, freezing and stitching/stuttering issues, etc. On multiple computers with wildly different configurations. I really don't want to use Chrome.

I use the Magic Actions Add-on for youtube on both chrome and firefox and the thing with Firefox is that is actually feels like a clunky add on, while in Chrome is feels like Youtube implemented it in their website on their own. I wanna switch back to firefox but for now its still my secondary browser. Maybe if I get my new laptop i'll only use firefox on it (regardless of what the test shows) 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

22 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I can watch a 4K video on YouTube in fullscreen without a single dropped frame on my Netbook. In Firefox, Opera, and Chrome the same video at 1080p is unwatchable. I tested this with dozens of videos on different channels with the same result. I have the same experience with Twitch, Netflix, and Amazon across all of the browsers so based strictly on streaming content Edge is by far the superior browser in terms of performance (and as a result, quality).

wow anecdotal evidence no way can this be in any way be incorrect

Well that's really good.

Using Opera myself and on Android also though :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

I'm just waiting for extensions support to switch permanently.

It supports Extensions already.

You have: AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, uBlock Origin (available online as: in development, here: https://github.com/nikrolls/uBlock-Edge/releases/tag/1.7.7b14-edge)

You also have Mouse Gestures, LastPass, Amazon, Save to Pocket, and a few more

Start Edge, go to "..." > Extensions > "Get extensions from Store"

To load extensions that you got from the web, click on "Load extension" button. You have this button if you do: about:config on the URL bar, and check the box "Enable extensions developer features" and restart Edge.

37 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

wow anecdotal evidence no way can this be in any way be incorrect

OK, aside from what I said being entirely repeatable on any machine, what other browsers support 1080p for Netflix besides Edge and IE?

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

OK, aside from what I said being entirely repeatable on any machine, what other browsers support 1080p for Netflix besides Edge and IE?

you are saying chrome is incapable of streaming 1080p video? because microsoft made a deal with netflix that makes edge the superior browser and the detail that IE can do it also further invalidates your point as IE is terrible 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

you are saying chrome is incapable of streaming 1080p video? because microsoft made a deal with netflix that makes edge the superior browser and the detail that IE can do it also further invalidates your point as IE is terrible 

No, never said that (please read my posts closely to avoid any further confusion). I merely said that Edge and IE are the only ones that support 1080p playback in Netflix and that Edge handles 4K video on hardware that other browsers struggle with 720p (thus by definition offers better performance than Chrome and other browsers I and others have tested). I agree with IE being terrible but I couldn't leave it out of my question when I know it's capable of doing it.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

Just an FYI, Chrome, FireFox, and Opera only stream Netflix at 720p on PC. Edge, IE, and Safari are the only browsers that actually stream in 1080p for Netflix. And none of them stream in 4K.

The actual UMP Netflix App may stream in 4K now, but I'm not sure. It does 1080p though.

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

No, never said that (please read my posts closely to avoid any further confusion). I merely said that Edge and IE are the only ones that support 1080p playback in Netflix and that Edge handles 4K video on hardware that other browsers struggle with 720p (thus by definition offers better performance than Chrome and other browsers I and others have tested). I agree with IE being terrible but I couldn't leave it out of my question when I know it's capable of doing it.

so you are saying the IE is better at playing high resolution video than chrome or firefox 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so you are saying the IE is better at playing high resolution video than chrome or firefox 

Wow, are you actually reading my posts or just quoting me on accident?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's obvious you're just trolling me. Good job and good night. :)

-KuJoe