The BBC is going to intercept WiFi traffic to find people watching iPlayer without paying the license fee

colonel_mortis

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/05/bbc-to-deploy-detection-vans-to-snoop-on-internet-users/

In the UK, you need to pay a license fee of £145.50 per year per household to watch TV, and the money is used to fund the BBC so that it doesn't have any adverts (some of the money also goes to ITV, Channel 4 and possibly Five as far as I know). As of the 1st September, the law will be changing so you are also required to pay the license fee if you want to watch on demand content on iPlayer (you already needed to pay to watch live TV online using iPlayer, but not on demand), as more and more people switch from watching TV to purely watching content online.

The BBC have announced that they will be using surveillance vans to intercept people's wifi traffic to see whether they are watching iPlayer without paying their license fee.

While the corporation would not disclose how the new technology works, the report states that the BBC has ruled out combing its own records of computers that have logged into the iPlayer website to hunt down non-paying viewers. 

Sir Amyas writes in the document: “The BBC rightly acknowledges that this would be an inappropriate invasion of privacy.”

Instead, electrical engineering experts said that the most likely explanation for how the BBC would carry out its surveillance was a technique known as “packet sniffing”, which involves watching traffic passing over a wireless internet network without hacking into the connection or breaking its encryption.

[...]

Dr Miguel Rio, a computer network expert who helped to oversee the doctoral thesis, said that licence-fee inspectors could sit outside a property and view encrypted “packets” of data – such as their size and the frequency with which they are emitted over the network – travelling over a home Wi-Fi network.

This would allow them to establish if devices at homes without television licences were indeed accessing BBC programmes online.

Dr Rio said: “They actually don’t need to decrypt traffic, because they can already see the packets. They have control over the iPlayer, so they could ensure that it sends packets at a specific size, and match them up. They could also use directional antennae to ensure they are viewing the Wi-Fi operating within your property.” 

This sort of traffic interception would normally be illegal, but the BBC has a specific exception in the upcoming Investigatory Powers Act (aka Snooper's Charter).

Personally, I think this is ridiculous - it is far more invasive (and expensive) to send out vans to intercept someone's wifi than it would be to just ask ISPs for the IP address associated with the person that they want to check, and see if it appears in the iPlayer access logs.

HTTP/2 203

Lol and they said the NSA was bad, they said..................

[points if you get the reference]

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Fuck me this sounds shady as fuck, and quite rightly illegal. 

Government deems it an illegal and invasive practice, unless they want to use it as a method to charge the general public. Cunts.

And I'm going to continue my daily routine of not using the BBC's website or service :D

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Honestly, who's idea was this? It's still an invasion of privacy regardless of how they are getting their information. Just leave the iPlayer people alone, BBC!

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | ASUS PRIME X570-PRO | 32GB 2400MHz Kingston HyperX Fury | RTX2060 6GB GDDR5 | 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD and 2x 960GB SATA SSD | Windows 11 22H2

HOME SERVER:

CPU: Intel Core i5-11500 | Gigabyte H470i Aorus Pro AX | 16GB DDR4 | Radeon RX570 8GB GDDR5 | 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3

LAPTOP:

Apple M2 Pro (10 core CPU, 16 Core GPU) | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023 | 16GB Unified Memory | 512GB SSD | macOS Ventura

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

And that's legal how? If that's honestly legal and it doesn't gets stopped, Brexit is the least of the UK's fucking problems. Seriously this is next level Orwellian fucking shit.

It's not legal. They would have to have permission of the house owner and the equipments ower (sky, talktalk) which neither are going to give. also isn't wifi trafic encrypted? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

10 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/05/bbc-to-deploy-detection-vans-to-snoop-on-internet-users/

In the UK, you need to pay a license fee of £145.50 per year per household to watch TV, and the money is used to fund the BBC so that it doesn't have any adverts (some of the money also goes to ITV, Channel 4 and possibly Five as far as I know). As of the 1st September, the law will be changing so you are also required to pay the license fee if you want to watch on demand content on iPlayer (you already needed to pay to watch live TV online using iPlayer, but not on demand), as more and more people switch from watching TV to purely watching content online.

The BBC have announced that they will be using surveillance vans to intercept people's wifi traffic to see whether they are watching iPlayer without paying their license fee.

This sort of traffic interception would normally be illegal, but the BBC has a specific exception in the upcoming Investigatory Powers Act (aka Snooper's Charter).

Is this actually legal?

10 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Personally, I think this is ridiculous - it is far more invasive (and expensive) to send out vans to intercept someone's wifi than it would be to just ask ISPs for the IP address associated with the person that they want to check, and see if it appears in the iPlayer access logs.

This is ridiculous? Ha ha. Jokes on you. It's not ridiculous. This is criminal. This is unacceptable. This is as dodgy as a cop sitting outside your house everyday to see what you're up to.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This seems like an overly complicated system which is very impractical.

So they will be sitting there, measuring the encrypted WiFi packets, and trying to see if they match one of the sessions going to iPlayer? Remember, WPA2 gets applied at layer 2, so they won't be able to do a simple check of the destination IP.

Edit: They will have to sit there going "okay, this house just sent 4 packets roughly 175 bytes each, and a few ms later 4 packets similar to that just hit our iPlayer server with roughly the same size".

It will probably cost them more money to catch someone using the service without paying the license, than the license actually brings in. So is this suppose to be a deterrence? Because it's laughable. What a colossal waste of money.

It's a load of horeshit, just as the original detection vans were.

Also quite funny that this could be rendered useless by simply plugging in your device using ethernet.

Just now, LAwLz said:

This seems like an overly complicated system which is very impractical.

So they will be sitting there, measuring the encrypted WiFi packets, and trying to see if they match one of the sessions going to iPlayer? Remember, WPA2 gets applied at layer 2, so they won't be able to do a simple check of the destination IP.

It will probably cost them more money to catch someone using the service without paying the license, than the license actually brings in. So is this suppose to be a deterrence? Because it's laughable. What a colossal waste of money.

But this is not legal! This is criminal.

It's like someone sitting in a van outside a bank and trying to hack into their electronic system to find out how much money they have.

I dont see why it matters if you're already paying for a TV licence

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

I'm wondering if they were stupid enough to not think of that, though the british government is notoriously tech illiterate, sometimes even more than the US government

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

I don't have one

Ha WiFi,  my house is wired with ethernet. Good luck 

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

Here this may help, put it in your front window...

2304x1196_blogpost_stingray.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But this is not legal! This is criminal.

It's like someone sitting in a van outside a bank and trying to hack into their electronic system to find out how much money they have.

Are you sure about that? I mean, they are not actually decrypting the packets (and according to the OP the BBC has a special exception in some upcoming law). It's just listening to freely available data being sent, and then try and find a relation between that traffic and the traffic hitting their servers.

It's a really scummy thing to do, but I am not convinced that it is flat out illegal.

5 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

That's like saying you have no problem letting me into your house to look around if I accused you of having stolen something from me.

It comes down to the idiotic idea that "you got nothing to fear if you got nothing to hide", which is complete bullshit and has been debated to death.

You are essentially saying that you are OK with being treated like a criminal, because hopefully they will find evidence that says you are innocent.

20 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

And that's legal how?

the BBC has a specific exception in the upcoming Investigatory Powers Act

This is what happens when you leave the European Union

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

12 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Why would I pay for a licence if I simply choose not to watch live broadcast TV or iPlayer content? The problem is, if you don't pay a TV licence, they're ultimately making vague accusations that you're a criminal and that you will be investigated (until proven otherwise). The language that the BBC chooses to use goes along the lines of "unlicensed households" - they send out endless stream of letters (hundreds-of-thousands nationwide) with red, bold letters under the name of the occupant, warning you that you might be breaking the law. It's a scaremongering tactic that's works reasonably well.

If you want this to stop, you specifically need to declare (on a bi-annual basis) that you are not watching the relevant content. Otherwise, the endless stream of letters and threats of surveillance will resume once again. Meanwhile, I'll continue to pay my Netflix and Amazon Prime subs simply because they don't otherwise fucking threaten me on a weekly basis; and what I save by not paying for a licence covers the cost of the other two just nicely.

So this is why they banned leaded paint. Not to protect the children, but to make sure the BBC can check up on the non-payers :D

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Wow... Just... WOW.

Can anybody watch content on BBC's iplayer without an account? If so, the simple fix for this would be to require an account(doesn't need to be attached to a cable subscription) to watch content and make people pay the fee either monthly or yearly. It would certainly be a hell of a lot cheaper to implement than going around and try to snoop on encrypted wifi connections.

If it does require an account, wtf BBC?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I call bullshit on this. The wifi traffic is encrypted between a device and the router, so they won't be able to see any actual data, only the number of packets being transmitted between a device and the router. I'm sure that the BBC servers are handling thousands (at least) of requests a second, so to be able to see a random packet between a device and the router and be able to correlate it with a packet hitting the BBC's servers (or vice versa) is going to be virtually impossible - enough that it wouldn't be able to stand up in court if challenged. Even just saying that the BBC uses packets of a specific size wouldn't be enough to conclusively prove that an address was using the iPlayer service.

(For those that don't remember, the old style licensing vans used to rely on reading the EM emissions produced by CRT sets to recreate the TV picture and prove that an unlicensed property was watching BBC channels)