why is there a drought of GTX10xx series? because chinese miners are buying them in bulk

zMeul
3 hours ago, zMeul said:

they would not bought so many if it wasn't profitable

Considering they're Chinese I wouldn't be so sure about that. They tend to overbuy  a lot..

This stuff is so insanly stupid, even if it generates money.

Here in Switzerland, we try to save a few watts whereever we can, despite we are running a lot on hydroelectric power. And then you see things like this, running on coal power plants btw, just wasting a lot of energy.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

18 hours ago, ivan134 said:

290x/390/390X hashrate at like half the power consumption...makes a lot of sense really :P

18 hours ago, zMeul said:

depends on the acquisition costs, someone on that topic said the 480 is more expensive - quite possibly due to shortages

Nah, prices of the RX480 in Japan and Britain hasn't moved 1 cent since release :P, a decent sub £200 GPU is always nice so good thing the sapphire nitro RX480 4GB costed the same as reference ones :P (same goes for the 8GB nitro, same price as reference ones).

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, d0nsen said:

http://blog.elcomsoft.com/2016/07/nvidia-pascal-a-great-password-cracking-tool/

and you kids are wondering what coin they are mining 

They're only doing what trump told them to do: break into hillary Clinton's email accounts :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

15 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

This stuff is so insanly stupid, even if it generates money.

Here in Switzerland, we try to save a few watts whereever we can, despite we are running a lot on hydroelectric power. And then you see things like this, running on coal power plants btw, just wasting a lot of energy.

China is aso the largest producer of hydro-electricity in the world. Just ahead of Canada. In fact, 56% of Switzerland's production is hydro-power which means about 85 twh. 4 times less then China, Canada or Brazil. More specifically, twice less as Québec's production of hydro-electricity.

On 28/07/2016 at 10:07 AM, zMeul said:

there still are ASIC miners, guess they didn't cough up in efficiency and/or litography?!?!

EThash is asic resistant.

PS: The 1080 is terrible for mining, GDDR5X doesnt allow it to mine properly (yet)

I still don't get why are these better than ASIC miners. Is it because those are using more power for the muscle they have or something?

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I still don't get why are these better than ASIC miners. Is it because those are using more power for the muscle they have or something?

GPUs are general-purpose (ish), ASICs are application-specific. A new algorithm frequently means completely new ASIC hardware is required.

EThash in particular is designed to require lots of memory bandwidth, which is awkward to provide with ASICs; GPUs, meanwhile, come with tons of it.

On 7/28/2016 at 10:38 AM, NumLock21 said:

Once again, those who are in the process of building their PCs are ruined by those greedy gpu munching miners.

Eventually there's gonna be a wave on reddit and ebay when they plan to sell those heavily worked card for cheap. Which are a hit or miss lol.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

1 minute ago, LtRavens said:

Eventually there's gonna be a wave on reddit and ebay when they plan to sell those heavily worked card for cheap. Which are a hit or miss lol.

Some do not want to buy a used card a year or 2 after released, when they are in the middle of their new build.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Some do not want to buy a used card a year or 2 after released, when they are in the middle of their new build.

Very true. Depending on the kind of build obviously. But true.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Just now, LtRavens said:

Very true. Depending on the kind of build obviously. But true.

It's annoying, like when you want to dry your clothes after it's been washed and some bastard is hogging 20 dryers. For all the different type of clothes they have.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

54 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

China is aso the largest producer of hydro-electricity in the world. Just ahead of Canada. In fact, 56% of Switzerland's production is hydro-power which means about 85 twh. 4 times less then China, Canada or Brazil. More specifically, twice less as Québec's production of hydro-electricity.

They have a bit more than 4x the population of Switzerland ;)

Actually it's about 175x.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

On July 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM, zMeul said:

source: https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1622684&page=1#pid34091913

the GPU mining craze has started once more, but this time AMD didn't hit the jackpot .. nVidia did

seems like Chinese crypto coin miners are buying GTX 10xx card in bulk:

6XFKsLl.png

yyfOWfD.png

in the 1st image it seems there are GTX1060s, but the 2nd shows either GTX1070 or GTX1080 - the GeForce logo is glowing, the 1060 logo doesn't glow

and they're all are Founders Edition - quite the price premium

pB6c9Ud.png

that's a GTX1070

Somehow im doubting its for coin mining. Seems more like a small time lab using gpu's to calculate their numbers.

On 2016-07-29 at 8:53 PM, Prysin said:

ASICs are million times more power efficient then any GPU will ever be.

i don't think they are mining anything...that's just a very expensive very fast rendering farm...it's probably used remotely by a hundred or more smaller companies.

There are thousands of these around the wolrd, this one just happened to upgrade their stock recently...it's nothing out of the ordinary, certainly not a news.

It sucks for gamers, but those cards also serve other purposes.

You either buy the Testla P100 rack with 8 GPU's in it...or buy this instead which is probably cheaper and way faster.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

47 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i don't think they are mining anything...that's just a very expensive very fast rendering farm...it's probably used remotely by a hundred or more smaller companies.

There are thousands of these around the wolrd, this one just happened to upgrade their stock recently...it's nothing out of the ordinary, certainly not a news.

It sucks for gamers, but those cards also serve other purposes.

You either buy the Testla P100 rack with 8 GPU's in it...or buy this instead which is probably cheaper and way faster.

nah

These would die much much much sooner then a single Tesla. They are not binned, clocked or rated to operate at heavy loads 24/7. A single tesla is like 5-6000.... So sure its cheaper. But a tesla should outlast these chips by a factor of n^2 atleast. There is also the fact that rendering farms require Quadro BIOS, because without the validation, you risk instability. INstability is dangerous, for the client.

I'm Chinese 

wheres my shipment of GTX 1080 and 1070?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I'm Chinese 

wheres my shipment of GTX 1080 and 1070?

You must have missed the memo with the meetup location to collect your shipment. I think I saw it on eBay last week though :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You must have missed the memo with the meetup location to collect your shipment. I think I saw it on eBay last week though :)

*insert Chinese swearing here*

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

How does that work? What are they "mining"?

They're trying to decrypt the NSA files that has Hillary's private emails.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx