PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Damn glad to know!

@STRMfrmXMN this might even be a T2 unit if they don't fuck it up. Between the fan and DC-DC. Or even T1 if it's got all the protection circuits and great voltage/ripple

Wasn't the only thing that was holding back the new CXM from being a low tier 2 anyway the fan? (I can be helpful too guys)

So I got a EVGA 550GS which is in tier 2. Is there anything inherently wrong with that? what differentiates t1 and t2?

3 hours ago, zelix said:

So I got a EVGA 550GS which is in tier 2. Is there anything inherently wrong with that? what differentiates t1 and t2?

It doesn't have as amazing voltage regulation or ripple suppression. It also has a worse bearing fan IIRC ( @STRMfrmXMN you own one which one was it?) than the EVGA G2. It's still really good though, don't worry about it :)

It might be a bit noisier than a Seasonic Snow Silent or Corsair RMi, but those cost more for the same capacity.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 4/17/2017 at 5:52 PM, Energycore said:

It doesn't have as amazing voltage regulation or ripple suppression. It also has a worse bearing fan IIRC ( @STRMfrmXMN you own one which one was it?) than the EVGA G2. It's still really good though, don't worry about it :)

It might be a bit noisier than a Seasonic Snow Silent or Corsair RMi, but those cost more for the same capacity.

The GS performs fine electrically but doesn't have OVP OTP and the fan isn't really worse. It's just a bit worse than a G2 and is very, very small. I own the GS. Would have bought the G2 if there wasn't a size constraint with my old case.

The G2 is very quiet and shouldn't out-loud an RMi.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 4/17/2017 at 2:36 PM, zelix said:

I considered bumping it down to tier 3 due to lack of OVP but kept it there as it's got other redeeming features. The GS is plenty for most people (550W and 650W) versions so long as you don't work them too hard.

EDIT: OTP was the thing it lacks.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

11 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I considered bumping it down to tier 3 due to lack of OVP but kept it there as it's got other redeeming features. The GS is plenty for most people (550W and 650W) versions so long as you don't work them too hard.

I find it hard to believe it doesn't have OVP, where did you hear that? Almost everything even cheap junk has OVP, it's a required protection whereas UVP is not required. Also, from the Toms review of the GS: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-550-gs-power-supply,4146.html

"EVGA offers a fully modular cabling design in its GS line, and all of the units in the series are Haswell-ready, since they are based on a design that uses DC-DC converters for generating the minor rails. In addition, besides OTP (Over-Temperature Protection) and OCP (Over-Current Protection) the rest of the protection features are present. In single +12V rail PSUs, OCP is substituted by OPP (Over-Power Protection); however, OTP is a crucial feature for any PSU and we strongly believe it should be included."

Along with not having UVP on the 12V rail, the HY-510N protection IC that's in the 550/650 GS lacks OCP not only on the +12V rail like most single rail units but as well as the minor rail. This is bad if there's a parasitic draw caused by a short on the minor rails.

I believe there was two simples that the these lower wattage GS reported to have failed and burn out by Stefan and Philip.

Just now, quan289 said:

Along with not having UVP on the 12V rail, the HY-510N protection IC that's in the 550/650 GS lacks OCP not only on the +12V rail like most single rail unit but as well as the minor rail. This is bad if there's a parasitic draw caused by a short on the minor rails.

I believe there was two simples that the these lower wattage GS reported to have failed and burn out by Stefan and Philip.

I'll believe Stefan. Nobody talks about protections more than him.

15 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I'll believe Stefan. Nobody talks about protections more than him.

Yep, he's the one who brought it up on this thread.

17 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Credit to Orion on Jonnyguru for this finding, it seems EVGA has another new PSU https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438119

So it's basically a the second revision of the EVGA B1 platform but without a heatsink on the bridge rectifier, a lower 30C rating to reflect that, and fully black cables?

I don't really see a point in this unit, if the EVGA Supernova B3  in the same price point. http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-B3-0450-V1

I can't help but feel that EVGA is just mindlessly putting out series without any set plans...

59 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I find it hard to believe it doesn't have OVP, where did you hear that? Almost everything even cheap junk has OVP, it's a required protection whereas UVP is not required. Also, from the Toms review of the GS: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-550-gs-power-supply,4146.html

"EVGA offers a fully modular cabling design in its GS line, and all of the units in the series are Haswell-ready, since they are based on a design that uses DC-DC converters for generating the minor rails. In addition, besides OTP (Over-Temperature Protection) and OCP (Over-Current Protection) the rest of the protection features are present. In single +12V rail PSUs, OCP is substituted by OPP (Over-Power Protection); however, OTP is a crucial feature for any PSU and we strongly believe it should be included."

Ah, it's OCP then.

I'll always get my acronyms confused, it seems.

4 minutes ago, quan289 said:

So it's basically a the second revision of the EVGA B1 platform but without a heatsink on the bridge rectifier, a lower 30C rating to reflect that, and fully black cables?

I don't really see a point in this unit, if the EVGA Supernova B3  in the same price point. http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-B3-0450-V1

I can't help but feel that EVGA is just mindlessly putting out series without any set plans...

How many freaking series do they need at this point..? They already dominate this market with the B1 and W1...

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

How many freaking series do they need at this point..? 

More? Its obvious that they don't have enough series ATM :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If they wanted more series, they shouldn't have discontinued mine "SUPERNOVA NEX B2"

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

12 hours ago, JDE said:

If they wanted more series, they shouldn't have discontinued mine "SUPERNOVA NEX B2"

That's discontinued because frankly it's overpriced and not that good at all. Sometimes the truth hurts.

3 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

That's discontinued because frankly it's overpriced and not that good at all. Sometimes the truth hurts.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

There are 26 letters in the english alphabet

There are 10 single digit numbers

EVGA naming format is Letter + Letter or Letter + Number

(i.e. EVGA BQ, EVGA G3)

And then there is this fucking EVGA G2L 

So 26*26*10+1=6761

EVGA still has a long way to go

But if we think realistically, EVGA only starts with G, B, W, N, P and T

So that's only 1561 possible combinations for EVGA to name their PSU unit

That doesn't account for the fact they could release another L unit like EVGA G2L I mentioned, which would increase the number more. 

10 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There are 26 letters in the english alphabet

There are 10 single digit numbers

EVGA naming format is Letter + Letter or Letter + Number

(i.e. EVGA BQ, EVGA G3)

And then there is this fucking EVGA G2L 

So 26*26*10+1=6761

EVGA still has a long way to go

But if we think realistically, EVGA only starts with G, B, W, N, P and T

So that's only 1561 possible combinations for EVGA to name their PSU unit

That doesn't account for the fact they could release another L unit like EVGA G2L I mentioned, which would increase the number more. 

I think they can only combine G,B,W,N,P,T on the first entry, then any digit + any letter on the second. Then they may add L to any of these.

So that's 6 (first entry) * 36 (number of letters + digits) * 2 (may add L to the end) = 432. Not the ludicrous 6000 or so :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I think they can only combine G,B,W,N,P,T on the first entry, then any digit + any letter on the second. Then they may add L to any of these.

So that's 6 (first entry) * 36 (number of letters + digits) * 2 (may add L to the end) = 432. Not the ludicrous 6000 or so :P

There is always that guy who is smarter than you

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Also x2 at the end isn't correct. Do you think EVGA W1 will have an L version? As if EVGA white isn't shit enough they decided to Light it up to make the explosion more dramatic

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Also x2 at the end isn't correct. Do you think EVGA W1 will have an L version? As if EVGA white isn't shit enough they decided to Light it up to make the explosion more dramatic

Well if you try to test its OPP circuit the lightshow comes built-in :D

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There is always that guy who is smarter than you

I'm sorry sometimes I'm your stereotypical "well actually that doesn't work like that, here's how it actually works" nerd. Lost a couple girls on that I have.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Opps, didn't mean to post this yet before getting my thought process organized. Oh well, I'll may talk about it later.

Just an update on the EVGA B3 file. Apparently, an error was made during the initial press release stating it had a HDB fan. It will have a sleeved bearing fan instead.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-b3-psus-super-flower,34115.html

I was wondering how they are going to make the B3 series work. Being fully modular and having a HDB fan are price adders, in which they may need to cut some corners elsewhere to keep the price low. While it is a little disappointing, it's more understanding for the segment / price point it is at. So my opinion on it didn't change much as it offer a full modular and semi-passive mode advantage over the CX / M.

14 hours ago, JDE said:

There's no NEX B2, only B1 NEX and B2 afaik

12 hours ago, quan289 said:

Just an update on the EVGA B3 file. Apparently, an error was made during the initial press release stating it had a HDB fan. It will have a sleeved bearing fan instead.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-b3-psus-super-flower,34115.html

I was wondering how they are going to make the B3 series work. Being fully modular and having a HDB fan are price adders, in which they may need to cut some corners elsewhere to keep the price low. While it is a little disappointing, it's more understanding for the segment / price point it is at. So my opinion on it didn't change much as it offer a full modular and semi-passive mode advantage over the CX / M.

I weeped a little but I do suppose it makes sense.

Gonna keep recommending the B2 I guess. We'll have to see if it ever makes sense to recommend the B3.

40 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I weeped a little but I do suppose it makes sense.

Gonna keep recommending the B2 I guess. We'll have to see if it ever makes sense to recommend the B3.

Probably if they stop producing the B2.