PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Just now, DustHaze said:

what do you recommend then in the 50 euros range PSU as from this website amazon.fr

For what hardware? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That says nothing about how it actually performs. All that tells you is that it is 80+ bronze (which is meaningless in terms of quality) and that it uses at least two Japanese capacitors somewhere (also meaningless). 

also my system is like 214w

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, DustHaze said:

I'll probably go with seasonic since it is tier 2

Ermmm...no? The S12II is T3 as well :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ermmm...no? The S12II is T3 as well :P 

but it is written look koLUPLh.jpg

Can you put that image in a spoiler?

Setting aside how I feel about Tier list, I would like to talk about "Haswell C Stepping certification". In order for something to be Haswell certified / ready in Intel's eyes, it require 0.05A on 12V1 and 0.10A on 12V2 rail and max load on the 3.3V / 5V while all rails still maintaining ATX specification. If there's only one 12V rail that 0.15V is loaded on it.

Pretty much any group-regulated PSU will fail, so why power supplies such as Antec Earthwatt Platinum, High Current Gamer, Seasonic S12II / M12II-B / EVO, XFX TS 550-SEW, PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKIII 400/500/600, etc. are under Tier 2 with "Haswell C Stepping certification"? Because technically that is incorrect.

Also, the Antec Earthwatts Platinum is based on the Aurum 92+ platform, and yet they are in different tiers? I would understand it if it was the other way, since the Aurum has a better fan, but what makes the Earthwatts Platinum a higher "tier"?

17 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

but it is written look

You do realize what thread you're posting this picture in, right?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

I mean the S12II still high quality

Just now, DustHaze said:

It's an old, but reliable budget unit. What's your point?

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

and why is it in the trusted part of the list , dude if you please can add trust rating in every one

1 minute ago, DustHaze said:

It's very, very old and is an outdated group-regulated design which, although it is still high-quality, means it performs relatively poorly compared to more modern units. It's not worthy of being put on the same tier as a Super Flower Golden Green or XFX XTR. Tier 3 is a solid placing for it.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, DustHaze said:

and why is it in the trusted part of the list , dude if you please can add trust rating in every one

I was commenting this because that picture is the ancient tier list where rebrands of different units are not in the same tier and this list is an updated and corrected version of that.

28 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

I'll probably go with seasonic since it is tier 2

I go with the Corsair CX450M over the Seasonic S12II-B because it's based on a more modern design with DC-DC with modularity.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

I was commenting this because that picture is the ancient tier list where rebrands of different units are not in the same tier and this list is an updated and corrected version of that.

yeah but when people search for PSUs they are just afraid of the budget and the possibility if it blows up or not ,

if you can do a some kinda sort by quality thing so people that have no experience like me find the best PSU for the budget and still can sleep at night.

5 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

yeah but when people search for PSUs they are just afraid of the budget and the possibility if it blows up or not ,

if you can do a some kinda sort by quality thing so people that have no experience like me find the best PSU for the budget and still can sleep at night.

This tertiary system takes quality into account, my friend.

This thing is also a guide, not an absolute. One of the reasons people like @quan289dislike lists like these is the lack of real personal connection someone can make to this when buying a unit that would best suit their own needs. This just kind of shoves a bunch of units into one tier and calls them all more or less equal.

Edited by STRMfrmXMN
Missed some words

5 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

Isn't that the purposed of this list that STRM made? o.0

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

This tertiary system takes quality into account, my friend.

This thing is also a guide, not an absolute. One of the reasons people like @quan289is the lack of real personal connection someone can make to this when buying a unit that would best suit their own needs. This just kind of shoves a bunch of units into one tier and calls them all more or less equal.

like if you can specify the right words for the tiers, like for example this tier is fucken crap don't buy this or your pc is dead like in the old list.

anyway thanks for the awesome list but can you tell me your thoughts about this PSU in this system will it work? https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/xCzp4C

2 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

like if you can specify the right words for the tiers, like for example this tier is fucken crap don't buy this or your pc is dead like in the old list.

anyway thanks for the awesome list but can you tell me your thoughts about this PSU in this system will it work? https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/xCzp4C

That PSU is fine for your system. If you haven't thought already about your CPU choice, however, would you consider swapping for a Ryzen 5 1500X?

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That PSU is fine for your system. If you haven't thought already about your CPU choice, however, would you consider swapping for a Ryzen 5 1500X?

i5-7600k is the best it can beat every ryzen 5 in benchmarks

2 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

i5-7600k is the best it can beat every ryzen 5 in benchmarks

That's not true but OK. It really depends on what you're doing with your CPU and since games already utilise the extra threads available with a Core i7, a cheaper Ryzen is most certainly a better buy for the next few years over an i5.