PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Also just wondering, are Molex to 6 pin adapters safe? They seem pretty sketchy to me... 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Just now, ImadKnight said:

Also just wondering, are Molex to 6 pin adapters safe? They seem pretty sketchy to me... 

2-molex to one 6-pin are fine. Each molex can do about 60W on the 12V rail, so combined they do up to 120W through the 12V rail cable (not my testing). You could almost justify a 2-molex to 8-pin but thankfully those don't exist. And single molex to 6-pin are to be avoided.

If you do use a 2-molex to 6-pin, remember that it's limited up to 120W from it (the 6-pin itself can do 150 although OEMs rate it for 75W), so don't do any extreme overclocking ;)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

2-molex to one 6-pin are fine. Each molex can do about 60W on the 12V rail, so combined they do up to 120W through the 12V rail cable (not my testing). You could almost justify a 2-molex to 8-pin but thankfully those don't exist. And single molex to 6-pin are to be avoided.

If you do use a 2-molex to 6-pin, remember that it's limited up to 120W from it (the 6-pin itself can do 150 although OEMs rate it for 75W), so don't do any extreme overclocking ;)

Ah ok thanks. Might just do that instead of ordering another PCI-E cable. Cheaper and easier. And no overclocking, just planning on running Crossfire HD5770s (budget life y0 xD). 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Just now, ImadKnight said:

Ah ok thanks. Might just do that instead of ordering another PCI-E cable. Cheaper and easier. And no overclocking, just planning on running Crossfire HD5770s (budget life y0 xD). 

Do tell us how the experience is with those :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Do tell us how the experience is with those :D

Sure, il give a small update. Only sacrifice is my Audigy 2 I got for free. But I can live with that. :) And the fan noise. 

Is the EVGA 600B good enough to hold a GTX 1080 with 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2x WD Caviar Blue and a FX-4100 (Not going to talk about bottlenecking since I already know, I plan on upgrading it later, along with a new PSU too) with stock fan, and a few other USB devices like a gaming mouse / keyboard, etc ? 

Thanks.

it can but I wouldn't do it. 

Just now, Kazuma20 said:

Is the EVGA 600B good enough to hold a GTX 1080 with 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2x WD Caviar Blue and a FX-4100 (Not going to talk about bottlenecking since I already know, I plan on upgrading it later, along with a new PSU too) with stock fan, and a few other USB devices like a gaming mouse / keyboard, etc ? 

Thanks.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, Kazuma20 said:

Thanks.

Should work for now.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Kazuma20 said:

Thanks.

I mean, it'll do for the time being, I wouldn't do it forever obviously enough.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

36 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

it can but I wouldn't do it. 

36 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Should work for now.

33 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I mean, it'll do for the time being, I wouldn't do it forever obviously enough.

Is it because of the wattage or the PSU itself? What would be the risks?

Just now, Kazuma20 said:

that psu its self, not the wattage, shutting down or killing parts at the worst 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, Kazuma20 said:

It's not the most amazing performance out of a PSU. As you use it it could have issues with stability or longevity of your components. That said the EVGA 600B is much better than some of the crap out there, so you should be fine keeping it until you upgrade.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

that psu its self, not the wattage, shutting down or killing parts at the worst 

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It's not the most amazing performance out of a PSU. As you use it it could have issues with stability or longevity of your components. That said the EVGA 600B is much better than some of the crap out there, so you should be fine keeping it until you upgrade.

I think I can go for a bit better PSU. Which one would you recommend probably around the same price or a bit higher?

Just now, Kazuma20 said:

I think I can go for a bit better PSU. Which one would you recommend probably around the same price or a bit higher?

Around what price and where? So I can give you the best est :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Around what price and where? So I can give you the best est :)

Around the 600B price or a bit higher. Since everything in South America (Argentina) is really expensive it's hard to find good stuff.

4 minutes ago, Kazuma20 said:

Around the 600B price or a bit higher. Since everything in South America (Argentina) is really expensive it's hard to find good stuff.

Hmm. Well I'll give you some PSUs that you should look for.

Corsair CXM (even the 450W will do fine for a 1080 + FX CPU)

Seasonic S12II (again, even the 430W)

Seasonic ECO 430W

XFX TS Bronze 430W / 550W

XFX ProSeries (450W and up)

Antec High Current Gamer (any)

Deepcool DQ-ST (550, 650, 750W)

Silverstone Strider Gold

See if any of these costs around the same, they're all better :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I see the Photon series by Rosewill in the Tier 3 list.  So does this mean this will be a good PSU?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jscMnQ/rosewill-power-supply-photon650

Planning on using it in my next build.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I see the Photon series by Rosewill in the Tier 3 list.  So does this mean this will be a good PSU?

Planning on using it in my next build.

it is ok 

Yup, you can depend on a Tier 3.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

it is ok 

Alright, thanks.

Fore about $4 more I can get the 750W variant, should I spring for the extra wattage?

Fore about $4 more I can get the 750W variant, should I spring for the extra wattage?

you can but you may lose some efficiency. 

I would, it opens the door for 2 250W cards like the 1080 Ti is atm. More versatile. Especially because it's only a bit more

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, GDRRiley said:

you can but you may lose some efficiency. 

Depending on where the load ends up, but it'll be pretty small

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Depending on where the load ends up, but it'll be pretty small

yeah