PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Wow i once again have a tier 4 Power Supply... oh wow

It delivered all the wattage and my CPU wich bdw is a I7 freaking Sandy Bridge overclocks just fine to 4.6Ghz with a freaking power hungry overclocked MSI GTX 970

This must be not valid non-evidence even if you try to test the power supply with own equipment 

The current or power flow will go smoothly no matter what its called capacitors resistors and power phases/mosfets and all that jazz its probably safe to use if it has been tested wich is the case since every Power Supply on the market HAS to pass a series of tests and Qwality Control + if it has CE in Europe it is probably safe.

2 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Wow i once again have a tier 4 Power Supply... oh wow

It delivered all the wattage and my CPU wich bdw is a I7 freaking Sandy Bridge overclocks just fine to 4.6Ghz with a freaking power hungry overclocked MSI GTX 970

This must be not valid non-evidence even if you try to test the power supply with own equipment 

The current or power flow will go smoothly no matter what its called capacitors resistors and power phases/mosfets and all that jazz its probably safe to use if it has been tested wich is the case since every Power Supply on the market HAS to pass a series of tests and Qwality Control + if it has CE in Europe it is probably safe.

Just because it's a tier 4 unit doesn't mean it'll blow up? 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Still i had a motherboard that had a fault my Power Supply killed it but its bcs of the Motherboards bad connector faulty and after that my Cooler Master G450M still works and have sold it to somebody else that is using it in their build, lol 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Thanks for your reply, nice to see that you want to make your PSUI better...

And is there any chance you might sell the unit in Europe?

You're welcome!

For the time being, our focus is in North America.  We do offer international shipping to most countries through eBay though, so the power supplies are at least available to most areas of Europe.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:05 PM, turkey3_scratch said:

I'm cool with a sleeve fan on the unit because the price of it is good. I mean, if it's a ball then the price will go up.

That's what we're checking into right now.  Standard ball bearings are fairly cheap, so if we can add that feature without raising the price, it is an upgrade we'd like to make.

12 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yes, if you add dynamite.  We've also heard that napalm will contribute to Tier 4 power supplies blowing up.

50 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

Yes, if you add dynamite.  We've also heard that napalm will contribute to Tier 4 power supplies blowing up.

I like you

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

14 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

You're welcome!

For the time being, our focus is in North America.  We do offer international shipping to most countries through eBay though, so the power supplies are at least available to most areas of Europe.

Thanks but that doesn't really make your units competitive in this area. There are some major distributors you could work with who do most of the work for you, that could be an options. But don't forget that the competition is hard, especially here in Germany.

A bitfenix Whisper M/550W is just 86€....

That's what we're checking into right now.  Standard ball bearings are fairly cheap, so if we can add that feature without raising the price, it is an upgrade we'd like to make.

But be aware of the higher noise of those bearings!

Yes, they may last longer - in an industrial enviroment, but if you choose the wrong 2BB fan, it can increase your RMA rate drastically due to those noises these fans can make.

So it could be better to get an improved Sleeve Bearing (like Globe Fans Duro Bearing) instead...

Or just a sleeve bearing from a well known brand - like Power Logic for example.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 22/07/2016 at 11:50 PM, Energycore said:

snip

On 23/07/2016 at 0:16 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

snip

Hiho, I was wondering, is there any way I can help out making a solid review of my Zalman GLX? I have taken my chances with it since it had a good pricing on the past Black Friday and so far it has been to my lay understanding a really well performing one, it makes very little noise, it has no coil whine what so ever and it is as far as I am aware been feeding my system its power properly.

I see this specific line up of Zalman hasn't had much spotlight and the brand is not exactly seen as one of the best, but I really have been satisfied with mine and I see why not recommend it, well aside it not being modular at all it did fill up the back of my case with quite the few unused cables, nonetheless if there are means I could perform testings on it and all I would really be willing to, I don't dispose of specific equipment though.

Here is the official specifications link to mine, I have the 700w model but there also is the 600w and 500w variations: http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=96

I just thought I would mention it, sorry if I got over my head [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Segotep SG-D600SCR in particular and Segotep PSUs in general

Non-modular, half-sleeved (only EPU and ATX cables are sleeved in low quality mesh), cable length is acceptable.

A mid-priced Chinese PSU that will definitely make people think it's good quality for the price you're paying.
Definitely the opposite.
Retailers slap it into the 80 Plus efficiency category, yet it isn't officially rated for a number of reasons (one being the fact that it's poorly constructed).
The capacitors are a dime a dozen and are either unbranded or Chinesium (I couldn't figure out what brand, if any, they are). 
The fan is fairly quiet at first but after a few months it sounds more like a wind turbine than a fan.
The output is pretty hit and miss and the 12V rail struggles with a higher end card (It can absolutely NOT handle an RX 480 drawing more than 120W, reading according to Afterburner. Issues stopped once GPU draw was limited to 115W). The +5V is noisy and the +3.3V fluctuates from +2.9V all the way up to +3.75.
My particular unit also suffered from severe coil whine (which didn't give the retailer enough of a reason to issue a replacement) and the RMA is basically inexistent, same for support (I currently have a support e-mail awaiting reply for about half a year)
Even on their product page the information given is shady, at best.
It claims a dual 12V rail, yet it's clearly a single rail.
It also claims ATX 12V 2.3 compliancy, which it does not, as well as an Energy Star 4.0 rating, which is another lie.
After two years of use it had suddently decided to commit suicide and the lack of proper protection (due to poor and cheap design) meant it also took my motherboard and CPU with it to the grave.

Definitely a Tier 7 (or even 8!) PSU.

I know Chinesium PSUs don't really show up on the list, but this particular brand seems to be fairly common in the Eastern European, North African and Western Asian markets so I figured I should give a head's up to potential budget builders, warning them about the potential disastrous effects of using this PSU or anything made by Segotep. I have also seen people use them in their planned builds, which gave me even more reason to write this fairly short "review".

Link to manufacturer's site for my particular PSU: http://www.segotep.com/SegoProductdetails.aspx?id=1306600545da3fbf4996ae4703a6397e7782

Conclusion: Avoid at all cost.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

For OCD purposes can you put a space after energycore's name you tagged above

It looks like this @Energycorefor helping out. and it bugs me a bit

@STRMfrmXMN

On 01/03/2017 at 9:16 AM, revsilverspine said:

-snip-

Funny how it's name is "600" but even in it's own specs sheet says it's only a 500watt xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Funny how it's name is "600" but even in it's own specs sheet says it's only a 500watt xD 

IKR

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just when you get all hyped out with RGB stuff you realise Thermaltake RGB Gold is only Tier 3

36 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Just when you get all hyped out with RGB stuff you realise Thermaltake RGB Gold is only Tier 3

The 1250W Thermaltake RGB psu is tier 1 so RGB doesn't mean bad. 

48 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

But I would be extra careful to lookup any PSU with RGB since it seems to me like something a company would be likely to add to a crappy one to make it appeal to more people as cheaply and quickly as possible.  A good cover up / distraction to slap on any bad product xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

54 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I was talking about the Gold rated ones. Kinda weird seeing a Titanium rated to be lower than Tier 2 lol

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But I would be extra careful to lookup any PSU with RGB since it seems to me like something a company would be likely to add to a crappy one to make it appeal to more people as cheaply and quickly as possible.  A good cover up / distraction to slap on any bad product xD 

That doesn't stop people from buying it

Despite the fact that they bought a case with PSU basement

They will buy anything just for the RGB knowing they will only use one color for the rest of the build

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Someone said exactly the same thing about my ram, the Avexir Core series. They said something on the lines of "It has LEDs,  so it is covering up that it is shit."

Honestly, being good is required for every component, looks are not the priority. (excluding OS, Windows Vista is a must for any good computer,  purely because it looks good).

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Someone said exactly the same thing about my ram, the Avexir Core series. They said something on the lines of "It has LEDs,  so it is covering up that it is shit."

Honestly, being good is required for every component, looks are not the priority. (excluding OS, Windows Vista is a must for any good computer,  purely because it looks good).

I'm not saying having RGB makes it bad - there are plenty of good things with it, and in some cases, only the high end stuff gets it - but in some other situations (PSUs come to mind) I would see it as a red flag...  Again, doesn't mean it's bad, but I think I would be extra likely to check a review :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Why should they?!
They are rather good (Sirfa made) units, nothing wrong with it.

Why should they be "Tier 3"?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why should they?!
They are rather good (Sirfa made) units, nothing wrong with it.

Why should they be "Tier 3"?!

Why ask me, I am not the one making TIER list

Thank you very much for the tier list! I just wanted to know what are your sources and whats your criteria (since you really dont explain It in the post).

52 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

Thank you very much for the tier list! I just wanted to know what are your sources and whats your criteria (since you really dont explain It in the post).

Sites like Jonny Guru, Tom's Hardware, and other sites of the like. Criteria is mainly quality of internal components used, such as capacitors and such, as well as efficiency, although 2nd to quality, and such.

Viewer Choice Computer episode 2 came out today on floatplane, good news, the EVGA 650 NEX-G is now 3rd place and not 1st place, sadly the EVGA 500 NEX-B (If it wasn't the NEX-B, it was another one of EVGAs bronze certified PSUs)  came 1st.

20 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Viewer Choice Computer episode 2 came out today on floatplane, good news, the EVGA 650 NEX-G is now 3rd place and not 1st place, sadly the EVGA 500 NEX-B (If it wasn't the NEX-B, it was another one of EVGAs bronze certified PSUs)  came 1st.

was there ever a 500w NexB? i only remembered the 750w units. probably a B1 or BQ if it's not. 

God what is wrong with people and buying cheap power supplies?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W