PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

2 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Sites like Jonny Guru, Tom's Hardware, and other sites of the like. Criteria is mainly quality of internal components used, such as capacitors and such, as well as efficiency, although 2nd to quality, and such.

Thank you!

Cheapest 500w+ unit (Canada) that won't Allahu Akbar a 1070/3770k (PCPP link)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

17 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Cheapest 500w+ unit (Canada) that won't Allahu Akbar a 1070/3770k (PCPP link)

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

17 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

35 minutes ago, themctipers said:

... that won't Allahu Akbar ...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

The new CXM PSUs are pretty good. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

37 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Allahu Akbar

How does a mod see this and not do anything about it? xD 

I mean some people might get offended 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

idk anymore... it's so common it seems like a valid synonym for explode 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

idk anymore... it's so common it seems like a valid synonym for explode 

That is true :P 

I personally feel as it's okay but meh, IDK, not a mod or anything...

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

I mean, I can see the concern, but it's so common I don't even notice any more...

13 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Are you saying God isn't great?!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

This includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.

Note to myself:

Do not backseat moderate – if there’s an issue, please use the report function.

6 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It literally means "God is great". If a mod got triggered at that then i'd call them racist.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Note to myself:

ok..

if you think im starting to start a religious debate,  im not

im pointing out the fact that its saying god is great and is god not great? :P

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

51 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It literally means "God is great". If a mod got triggered at that then i'd call them racist.

I think he was bringing up the topic that using that phrase in a way that is synonymous with explode could be rather insensitive...

19 hours ago, themctipers said:

Maybe? :P 

I mean I'm an atheist so ya know, don't really know? :D 

15 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Do not backseat moderate – if there’s an issue, please use the report function.

If they handed out warning points for Backseat moderating, I would not be surprised that people with a somewhat high post count would have received multiple warning points...

I mean what I do is sometimes I make a post stating what's wrong with it and report it with the button.

I have obviously never backseat moderated before so if they were to hand out disciplinary actions for it, I'd be fine...maybe...not 

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Maybe? :P 

I mean I'm an atheist so ya know, don't really know? :D 

If they handed out warning points for Backseat moderating, I would not be surprised that people with a somewhat high post count would have received multiple warning points...

I mean what I do is sometimes I make a post stating what's wrong with it and report it with the button.

I have obviously never backseat moderated before so if they were to hand out disciplinary actions for it, I'd be fine...maybe...not 

Shh.

-

ill just wait for the cheapest tier 1 thing instead of paying $80 for a tier 4 thing ($20 difference from a tier 1 thing)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

@STRMfrmXMN 

@Energycore...nvm

Anyone else following this topic

So I have an issue with my PSU right now but I feel as it's not that big of an issue nor is it that important hence no independent thread.

One of it's protectors triggers when ever I overclock my 6-pin equipped RX470 past 1300MHz which results in the GPU itself drawing 160w indicated by GPUz which technically is too high. But as it's a 6+2 plug with the +2 being straight off 2 existing ground off the 6 pin with my XFX Proseries 1kW PSU, I thought it wouldn't be an issue as that set of cables and the connector on the PSU side should be capable of supplying 150watts no? 

Could it be possible that Asus is stupid arses and rather than drawing the extra 10watts or something off the PCIe power cable, they're drawing it from the PCIe slot? (still shouldn't be a problem if we were to look at people who had their RX480s drawing 165watts with only a 6 pin or something).

Any ideas? 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

@STRMfrmXMN 

@Energycore...nvm

So I have an issue with my PSU right now but I feel as it's not that big of an issue nor is it that important hence no independent thread.

One of it's protectors triggers when ever I overclock my 6-pin equipped RX470 past 1300MHz which results in the GPU itself drawing 160w indicated by GPUz which technically is too high. But as it's a 6+2 plug with the +2 being straight off 2 existing ground off the 6 pin with my XFX Proseries 1kW PSU, I thought it wouldn't be an issue as that set of cables and the connector on the PSU side should be capable of supplying 150watts no? 

Could it be possible that Asus is stupid arses and rather than drawing the extra 10watts or something off the PCIe power cable, they're drawing it from the PCIe slot? (still shouldn't be a problem if we were to look at people who had their RX480s drawing 165watts with only a 6 pin or something).

Any ideas? 

I doubt it. Try just using different PCIe cables and see if that does anyhting?

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I doubt it. Try just using different PCIe cables and see if that does anyhting?

Already tried it, still triggers something in my PSU...

Why didn't I get this issue when powering my 290X? :P (as one died before this PSU arrived and one died after it arrived)

Already tried it, still triggers something in my PSU...

Why didn't I get this issue when powering my 290X? :P (as one died before this PSU arrived and one died after it arrived)

RIP 290X. And no clue. Wiggle and unplug/replug things that have to do with the GPU until it works.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

RIP 290X. And no clue. Wiggle and unplug/replug things that have to do with the GPU until it works.

No, it works while at stock clocks (1270MHz) but when you once had dual 290Xs at 1200Mhz, how is a single RX470 at 1270MHz going to provide a satisfying gaming experiance? :/ 

No, it works while at stock clocks (1270MHz) but when you once had dual 290Xs at 1200Mhz, how is a single RX470 at 1270MHz going to provide a satisfying gaming experiance? :/ 

Lol, that's fair. Have you just tried reinstalling the drivers?

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Lol, that's fair. Have you just tried reinstalling the drivers?

Yah...

Maybe one day I'll pull out my XFX XXX 850w PSU and test it...

49 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

@STRMfrmXMN 

@Energycore...nvm

Any ideas? 

I'm 99% certain GPU-Z can't properly measure power draw so there's that.

A single 6-pin can do 75W iirc while PCIe power can do just the same. It might be 50W for PCIe, not sure. Either way, update your card's BIOS and report back after overclocking.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||