PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Just now, 11killer34 said:

So if i buy CORSAIR TX850M i wont be dissapointed? its 1 tier right? Currently i have CX750 and have problem with screen freezes and random very small falls from graphic card when gaming. The graphic card is new and doesnt have drops when i run stress test. But when i game the PSU buzzes and my screen freezes for slight moment.

Doesn't sound like an issue with the PSU. More likely Windows, poor optimization or something else. Coil whine is normal and not harmful. 

There's no need for an 850W PSU. 

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Doesn't sound like an issue with the PSU. More likely Windows, poor optimization or something else. Coil whine is normal and not harmful. 

There's no need for an 850W PSU. 

Well red circles are screen freezes, when screen freeze happens my PSU buzzes at higher frequency and then when its not frozen it goes back "normal buzzing". And there is no buzzing when i dont game. 

problem2.png

Just now, 11killer34 said:

Well red circles are screen freezes, when screen freeze happens my PSU buzzes at higher frequency and then when its not frozen it goes back "normal buzzing". And there is no buzzing when i dont game. 

problem2.png

Correlation does not equal causation. 

Coil whine can depend on the load. 

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Correlation does not equal causation. 

Coil whine can depend on the load. 

But why does this happen. All drivers up to date. Windows 10 up to date. I even reinstalled drivers. CPU works fine. Motherboard maybe? Hdd and ssd drives working fine. Temps are fine, im out of ideas. 

36 minutes ago, 11killer34 said:

So if i buy CORSAIR TX850M i wont be dissapointed? 

its entirely possible that you might be disapointed, because the fan RPM of the unit is high.

And, as stated, its totally bullshit for your system. And a better quality/higher End unit like Corsair RMx, Bitfenix Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 10 makes more sense.

YOu doN#t need no 850W.

It won't be any quieter with "Moar Watts" but with a PSU that is designed to be quiet.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

MasterWatt is full of 85c Chinese capacitors. It can't compete with FSP Hydro G and I don't think it is Tier 2. Why did you put it to tier 2?

CPU: R5 1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 | RAM: Gskill RipjawsV 3200 MHz 2x8 GB Black | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 | PSU: EVGA 650 G3 | SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB | Graphics Card: MSI Armor RX 570 4G OC | Wi-Fi Adapter: Asus USB-N14 | Headset: Arctis 5 | Keyboard: Masterkeys Pro L Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G402 | Mousepad: Logitech G240 | Monitor: Viewsonic XG2700-4K 

11 minutes ago, Nazim Pasa said:

MasterWatt is full of 85c Chinese capacitors. It can't compete with FSP Hydro G and I don't think it is Tier 2. Why did you put it to tier 2?

Teapo is Taiwanese, I think. That's fine. The primary bulk cap is rated for 85°C, the secondaries are always 105°C. Where did you get that it's full of 85°C Chinese capacitors?

Edited by seon123
Something something

12 minutes ago, Nazim Pasa said:

MasterWatt is full of 85c Chinese capacitors.

It has one 85c capacitor on the primary side. All of the rest is 105c. They are always 105c even in gutless wonders, because they have to be.

The country of origin matters much less than the series of the capacitor too, since all caps in PSUs are made in China except very rare brands. I see an Elite GM in 750W (2000h/400V) and 550W has Teapo LH 2000h/400V.

I do agree with the spirit of the post though, I don't know why it's in Tier 2 when it's much worse than PSUs in there.

Still there is 85c caps and it performs much worse then the others in Tier 2. My main point is that it shouldn't be in Tier 2. 

CPU: R5 1600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 | RAM: Gskill RipjawsV 3200 MHz 2x8 GB Black | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 | PSU: EVGA 650 G3 | SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB | Graphics Card: MSI Armor RX 570 4G OC | Wi-Fi Adapter: Asus USB-N14 | Headset: Arctis 5 | Keyboard: Masterkeys Pro L Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G402 | Mousepad: Logitech G240 | Monitor: Viewsonic XG2700-4K 

35 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I do agree with the spirit of the post though, I don't know why it's in Tier 2 when it's much worse than PSUs in there.

Would you believe this unit is comparable to the Be Quiet Pure Power 10 or Corsair CX/M?

It is a very good Tier 3 in my opinion. If you look like that the Hydro G is a gorgeous Tier 2. It can beat some models in Tier 1 but is still in Tier 2 and no one complains about it. Same goes with the Masterwatt too. It should be a great Tier 3.

2 hours ago, Nazim Pasa said:

Still there is 85c caps and it performs much worse then the others in Tier 2. My main point is that it shouldn't be in Tier 2. 

1 cap, not plural. And since it's on the primary side it's really not much to worry about. The most important capacitor is something like the 5VSB capacitor. I bet those units will probably fail from something other than that primary capacitor.

A recent Tomshardware article reveals the most common failures in PSUs are the capacitors nobody talks about - multilayer ceramic capacitors.

3 hours ago, Nazim Pasa said:

What the hell are you talking about?!
Could you pls stop your FUD?!

I don't see many 85°C Capacitors in my MasterWatt model...

ONE to be precise, don't know if there is a second one...

But the primary doesn't matter at all!!

Because the 85°C models usually have higher ripple current tolerance, so if you need the Ripple Current, it doesn't matter.

And your post is pretty racist too, as it implies that Chinese can't do good stuff - wich is total bogus - and racist.

3 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

It has one 85c capacitor on the primary side. All of the rest is 105c. They are always 105c even in gutless wonders, because they have to be.

Naa, because there aren't any low ESR Caps with 85°C Spec.

85°C Electrolytes are either general Purpose, Audio or High Current Caps.

No reputable Manufacturer had 85°C Low ESR capacitors...

3 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

The country of origin matters much less than the series of the capacitor too, since all caps in PSUs are made in China except very rare brands. I see an Elite GM in 750W (2000h/400V) and 550W has Teapo LH 2000h/400V.

Yep, everyone is equally capable of doing awesome stuff, just cost a bit more...

As for Capacitors, its possible that that changes between series and both will be used as what's available.

2 hours ago, Rexper said:

Would you believe this unit is comparable to the Be Quiet Pure Power 10 or Corsair CX/M?

Depends on the Price and what you want.

There are some ups and downs.

1. The Corsair CX has a rather high fan RPM of around 850rpm

2. the be quiet Pure Power 10 can be quite expensive in some regions, though has the best fan, good electric performance.

3. The Master Watt is Semi Fanless, for better or worse, the real Problem I have with it are only two connectors for Drives and one PCIe connector on the modular Board...

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

be quiet Pure Power 10 can be quite expensive in some reasons

... and most of the time the MasterWatt goes for $35-$50 in those regions.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Final decision corsair HX750 (150€) or TX750M (100€)? I need for gtx 1080 and i7 4790k. My goal is good performance and no buzzing or coil whine noices. I would rather buy cheaper one, but if you convince me i might will take better one.

18 minutes ago, 11killer34 said:

Final decision corsair HX750 (150€) or TX750M (100€)? I need for gtx 1080 and i7 4790k. My goal is good performance and no buzzing or coil whine noices. I would rather buy cheaper one, but if you convince me i might will take better one.

A TX550M would be plenty

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A TX550M would be plenty

I think its little low, i have 6 fans and 3 drives and my gtx 1080 is little bit overclocked. So 650W PSU is good choice?

power.PNG

4 minutes ago, 11killer34 said:

I think its little low, i have 6 fans and 3 drives and my gtx 1080 is little bit overclocked. So 650W PSU is good choice?

power.PNG

A 550W unit leaves you with about 200W of headroom if you OC both your CPU and GPU. Each fan will consume a couple of watts.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A 550W unit leaves you with about 200W of headroom if you OC both your CPU and GPU. Each fan will consume a couple of watts.

8 minutes ago, 11killer34 said:

Yeah, no worries.

The GTX 1080 and 4790K without OC would consume maybe 240W, I'd ballpark, so OCing them should do no harm to a 550W.

58 minutes ago, 11killer34 said:

power.PNG

Measure it yourself!

My Ryzen 7/1700x with _TWO_ Radeon HD7970GHz/280X is at 575W Primary. How the hell can you with your system be over that?!

The obvious answer would be: You can't!
Those Calculators are bullshit and you with a piece of paper and a pencil could do a better job than those things...

12 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And your post is pretty racist too, as it implies that Chinese can't do good stuff - wich is total bogus - and racist.

The implications may not be that. To me, the implications are that the Chinese capacitors are generally not as good as Japanese or Taiwanese - granted these are not my words, but those seem to be the true implications. One could argue that is not racist; rather, it is some implication from that which is deemed to be statistically true.

1 hour ago, turkey3_scratch said:

The implications may not be that. To me, the implications are that the Chinese capacitors are generally not as good as Japanese or Taiwanese - granted these are not my words, but those seem to be the true implications. One could argue that is not racist; rather, it is some implication from that which is deemed to be statistically true.

Americans can't do cars that corner well, germans can.

Thats an equally false statement.

Just because its Chinese doesn't mean its low quality.

And that there is a Japanese Capacitor inside - wich is most likely also made in China - doesn't mean its good quality - Toshin Kogyo are regarded as not that great...

So saying that its bad because there are chinese components inside is just wrong and makes no sense, because the Chinese also have high quality components as you would expect.

The point is that "Japan" is used as a Marketing Bulletin Point...

51 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Americans can't do cars that corner well, germans can.

Thats an equally false statement.

Just because its Chinese doesn't mean its low quality.

And that there is a Japanese Capacitor inside - wich is most likely also made in China - doesn't mean its good quality - Toshin Kogyo are regarded as not that great...

Probability should not be ignored. If we have a separate world (not this world but an imaginary world) in which 90% of cars from America are objectively terrible and the majority of cars from Japan are objectively good, then one could argue it's a reasonable statement to make that you don't want an American vehicle, even though there is technically the 10% that are just as good. Does not mean that there are any underlying anti-American implications, but rather the individual deemed it worthy to disregard the 10% in favor of what they believe is a reasonable probabilistic assumption.

In this same separate world, we can say 95% of Chinese capacitors objectively suck and 5% of them are fantastic. Not wanting Chinese capacitors in a power supply, then, would not be ignoring the 5% of fantastic capacitors but is rather a grim outlook that most likely the ones present belong to the 95% sucky ones. It's just not worth it to worry about the 5%, we might as well generalize and say the Chinese capacitors suck, even though in the back of our heads we know deep down there are some exceptions.

Now, granted, in our world, the real world, these percentages could be extremely off; additionally, objectifying what is "good" or "bad" is no easy task for anything. But you have to understand that people do have the impressions that most Chinese capacitors have a lifespan shorter than Japanese capacitors. Whether or not this is actually true does not change the fact that people believe it, and so their implications, all I'm saying here, is probably not anything anti-Chinese but just distaste for what they believe to reasonably expect is a lower quality product.