PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

What about Corsair RM750x White with those sleeved cables? 

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

7 hours ago, awesomegamer919 said:

I wouldn't really want to run SLI1080Ti on 550w anyways, since you'd be pushing it pretty damn hard, and SLI1070/1080 is just dumb in general...

See, that's what I meant.

And a couple of years ago, you'd do SLI/CF with ~400€ Cards.

Today you'd do it with ~800€ Cards, if at all.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Acbel is not on the list. If those not mentioned are that bad. will you add a section for them?

3 minutes ago, pomkon said:

Acbel is not on the list. If those not mentioned are that bad. will you add a section for them?

AcBel is primarily an OEM (albeit not for anything on that list IIRC), AcBel units are generally decent, if not amazing, though, as always, it very much depends on the model and what the reseller wanted...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's always the case.

Just look at Bitfenix Whisper M or Formula.

The step to the next +100W are usually something between 10-15€. The 450-> 550W Step usually is the exception with less than that.

But the question is:
What do you get for the money??

And if you don't care about the price, why not go for a be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 or something like that instead??

Because often with higher wattages you also get higher RPM fans wich lead to more noise.

So you don't necessarily get something you want for the money.

Be honest:
How many games do you have where SLI/CF doesn't work?

And how many do you have where it might work?

Some games where it does not work:
Everything Vulkan -> Wolfenstein II new Colossus.

Nier: Automata

Many Koei Tecmo Games

And the List is fairly long...

So SLI/CF comes down to benchmarking and messing around with the components, the practical use of that is worse and worse every day. Because it just does not work for whatever reason. 

And with nVidia, you need at least a GTX1070 anyway, if you want some SLI Experience.

The cheaper GTX1060 doesn't even support SLi!

Maybe, maybe not.

But mostly its like 1 out of 10 or 20 that might want a 750W instead of a 450 or 550W. 

Its not that many. Most people buying mid range stay in that range.

Sometimes they might get High End but then again, 550W is enough.

Hell you can even do some fiddling around with SLI/CF with a good quality 550W PSU and two not that high end Cards. Because there are RX480 and 580 with only one 8pin PCIe connector available as are GTX1070.

I'd like to get the best bang for the buck and the best thing for my system and myself.

A 450 or 550W might be perfect because less noisy, cheap.

A 650 or 750W might not be that great because higher fan RPM.

For example Bitfenix Whisper M, 450 and 550W: around 500rpm or less at low loads.

650W and up: around 700rpm or less under lower loads.

That happens quite often with some manufacturers. Others use the same for the whole lineup.

Then again, it makes more sense to go higher efficiency than higher watt because with the higher efficiency you get a less powerful fan and higher efficiency (obviosly)...

The Higher Wattage one can only be better if we talk about two completely different units - but that is usually the case between 650->750 or even 750 -> 850W.

Addressing the higher wattage, higher rpm fan:

The fans in PSUs do not run at a fixed rpm. They throttle based on load and temps. Many even shut the fan off completely now under low to moderate loads. Since a higher wattage PSU won't be under as much load it's fan will probably run slower than the fan in the lower wattage unit (comparing say, a 650w to a 750w unit from the same or similar quality series). So the argument of a higher wattage PSU will have a louder fan is not really valid. 

Addressing SLI/CF:

I used CF once (2x R9 290's), just because I wanted to try it. The issue here isn't how many games that can effectively use SLI/CF, it's the simple fact that some people do want to try it or run it "just because". 

A 450 or 550w may not be less noisy if you're loading it closer to it's max capability. 

A 650 or 750w will not necessarily be louder because you won't be loading it as much (as I explained above). 

Also, the fans in most good quality units are of pretty good design and all run fairly quite. The difference between 500 and 700rpm with the unit buried deep inside your PC case, you won't hear it above your case fans and other ambient noises. 

My advice to you is simply this: go for quality and efficiency above all else as long as the wattage meets and exceeds your system's needs. The higher quality and more efficient, the quieter it will be regardless. 

My comments about spending a few dollars more for an extra 100w is just simply that I don't see it as a "waste" and is a personal preference of mine, considering I've changed my own system quite drastically several times over the last 3-4 years. If you know for sure, however, that you won't be changing your system for a long time, then by all means, stick with what you need for your current system.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

The fans in PSUs do not run at a fixed rpm. They throttle based on load and temps. Many even shut the fan off completely now under low to moderate loads. Since a higher wattage PSU won't be under as much load it's fan will probably run slower than the fan in the lower wattage unit (comparing say, a 650w to a 750w unit from the same or similar quality series). So the argument of a higher wattage PSU will have a louder fan is not really valid. 

A lot of this isn't true but I'll break down what I can. Mind you, you're arguing with Stefan who knows more about PSUs than I do, so you're fighting an uphill battle.

A lot of higher-wattage PSUs use a fan curve that sets the fan unnecessarily loud at low heat. The load is not the thing they work off of, only heat. The EVGA G3 is a great example of this. The fan spins at really high RPM regardless of the temperature. A lot of lower-end units make less noise. An easy example is the Corsair SF450, which is quieter than the SF600. Not all PSUs have a passive fan mode as well, and I think I recall Stefan saying he doesn't really like passive fan modes.

Addressing SLI/CF:

I used CF once (2x R9 290's), just because I wanted to try it. The issue here isn't how many games that can effectively use SLI/CF, it's the simple fact that some people do want to try it or run it "just because".

Spending hundreds (or in our current market - thousands) on GPUs you aren't able to utilize is a waste and shouldn't really be promoted. Most people never will SLI/Crossfire cards and shouldn't. Most people don't have access to a second GPU to put in their system once "for the memes."

A 450 or 550w may not be less noisy if you're loading it closer to it's max capability. 

A 650 or 750w will not necessarily be louder because you won't be loading it as much (as I explained above). 

The components in a 450W unit will create less heat than a 700W unit. Thus the fan doesn't need to spin as fast.

Also, the fans in most good quality units are of pretty good design and all run fairly quite. The difference between 500 and 700rpm with the unit buried deep inside your PC case, you won't hear it above your case fans and other ambient noises. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but many PSUs fans are small enough to the point where that 200 RPM fan difference is noticeable. 

My advice to you is simply this: go for quality and efficiency above all else as long as the wattage meets and exceeds your system's needs. The higher quality and more efficient, the quieter it will be regardless

Efficiency shouldn't be a relevant factor. So long as it meets your needs for wattage, build quality, performance, a warranty period you're cozy with, and meets the noise levels you need, then you might factor in efficiency at the end of that. However Ecova's 80 PLUS system was created with the intended purpose of saving companies money - corporations and orgs that run hundreds of computers and would see a substantial difference in their power bill going from, say, an 80 PLUS Bronze to Platinum unit. The average user won't see a real impact on their power bill unless they have an extremely power-hungry system they run at high load often (IE a GTX 1080 SLI system that they mine on, or similar).

My comments about spending a few dollars more for an extra 100w is just simply that I don't see it as a "waste" and is a personal preference of mine, considering I've changed my own system quite drastically several times over the last 3-4 years. If you know for sure, however, that you won't be changing your system for a long time, then by all means, stick with what you need for your current system.

Thing is, if a person has a 1080 Ti and buys a 550W unit now, what would they be doing that would go beyond the capabilities of the 550W unit later? GPUs seem to have stagnated in terms of power demand and even a Fury X could still be run on a 550W unit with an 8700K. Spending the extra money on something you don't need is just a waste of money.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

Yeah, of course. But you can't regulate every fan to every speed. Thus PSU usually only go down to around 4V minimum. 

So with a higher RPM fan you have a higher minimum fan RPM, regardless of voltage regulation.

There are some technics to go further down with the voltage but that does not work on semi Fanless or does not make any sense. For example sending a +12V pulse to the fan to get it going.

Semi Fanless doesn't really change much as some have initial/minimum fan RPM of around 1000rpm. So You just change the point where the PSU is annoying from 0 to a couple of Watts.

For example take this Leadex II:
http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/superflower_leadex_ii/s08.php

It starts with 900rpm.

I have the 650/750W Version of this unit and my fan is around 200rpm less.

And the Mentioned Bitfenix Whisper M:
400rpm for 550W:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-whisper-series-550w-psu,4805-4.html

670rpm for the 650W:

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_whisper_m/s08.php

450 and 550W have a 0,45A/12V Fan, the 650W and up have a 0,6A Fan.

Design stays the same from 450 to 850W...

PSU of one series use the same design/layout and also the same heatsinks, well up to a point and thus the higher wattage ones can not be less noisy under any circumstance than the lower wattage ones because the heatsinks are the same, the efficiency is about the same (we are talking about 2% Differences in Efficiency - at most).

it can only be quieter when we are talking about two completely different units like Corsair RMi/x 650W vs. 750W.

Or be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 750 vs 850W.

Or just look at this diagramm:
https://www.hartware.de/2012/11/27/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-10-650w/8/

550W at 100% load has lower fan RPM than 650W at 10% Load.

So yeah, higher wattage units have often a higher fan RPM fan. And you have to look at each PSU individually as some 550W can be much quieter than another one.

Just look at this 450W and 550W PSU:

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_tx550m/s08.php

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_formula_gold_450/s09.php

In this case the Bitfenix at 100% Load has about half the fan RPM of the Corsair for example.

Addressing SLI/CF:

Yes and I got a second 7970 here as well, only because I was able to get it for around 150 Bucks, at a time where they usually cost 250-300€ and I had the money, so I got it. 

ANd also used and tried it. So sometimes I also speak from Experience ;)

With those "power hungry GPU", I have a hard time to get the system to consume over 600W.

Most times in Games I'm between 250 and 350W, maybe 450W.

Though I haven't used CF in a long time because lack of Memory for modern Games and it just does not work.

Depending on the Basis, you could run those two totally with a 550W PSU, if you want to.

And I also ran TWO HD4870X2 on one 550W - just because I could...

It doesn't depend on the Wattage but the Design/Layout and what the manufacturer wanted to archieve.

There are some PSU that are fairly quiet.

There are other PSU that aren't.

Wattage hasn't much to do with it.

BUT:
You can build a 450W PSU much quieter than a 750W because less heat that has to be dissipated.

That by no means means that all 450W PSU are quiet. 

And you have to be careful what you compare the PSU to.

That's why I always emphasis on "within the same series". 

For example you can expect a be quiet Pure Power 10 with 400W to have a lower RPM fan than the 700W version.

Another Examples:

2000rpm fan for the 700W Version https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/be-quiet-pure-power-10-700w-cm-psu-review/4/ 

1800rpm for the 600W Version: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/be-quiet-pure-power-10-600w-psu,review-33932-3.html

1600rpm for the 400W version: http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/netzteile-und-gehaeuse/470774-user-review-quiet-pure-power-10-400w-von-stefan-payne-2.html 

I disagree with you on this as well.

There are huge differences in fans and some units have unexpectedly quiet fans (Xilence Performance A+ and Performance X), others have really annoying fans despite the low RPM (Chieftec Power Smart). And there are others that aren't great but also not too bad like Bitfenix Formula (450W), Whisper M (850W) or 550W Cougar GX-F in terms of Motor/Bearing noise of the fan.

The difference between 500 and 700rpm is noticable and also depends on size.

700rpm is almost noticably, 500rpm is not, with 120mm fans. WIth 140mm, 700rpm is really borderline and 800rpm you can notice.

And also we aren't just talking about that, there are some PSU that have an initial RPM of ~900rpm for example my 650W Super Flower Platinum King. Or the mentioned Corsair TX550M...

Sadly even in this day and age there are some awful PSU in terms of noise.

And that's only in the lower wattage region.

If we talk about 1kW+ things it gets worse as there are many PSU that are fairly loud once the fan starts spinning. 
Again, there are better ones and there are worse ones. You have to look at each individual PSU.

My advice to you is simply this: go for quality and efficiency above all else as long as the wattage meets and exceeds your system's needs. The higher quality and more efficient, the quieter it will be regardless. 

Agreed

That's also my statement as well.

Go for quality, not quantity.
A better quality PSU is what you get benefits from, a higher wattage PSU you don't get anything if you don't need the wattage. 
You can also get some disadvantages.

Yeah, but the problem is that most people don't change their system as much as you or I would.

With me its quite possible that I throw out my ASUS Strix X370-F next year or so for something else.

But the normal user doesn't do it. They buy a Board/CPU system and the only thing that will be replaced within the life of the PSU is the graphics card, usually between one or two times.

The Board/CPU is used until it dies or games start to stuter because of that.

SLI/CF is dying right now because lack of Support from all Sides and it has so many disadvantages that its more beneficial for the user to just sell the old card and by a more powerful one.

58 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A lot of higher-wattage PSUs use a fan curve that sets the fan unnecessarily loud at low heat. The load is not the thing they work off of, only heat. The EVGA G3 is a great example of this. The fan spins at really high RPM regardless of the temperature. A lot of lower-end units make less noise. An easy example is the Corsair SF450, which is quieter than the SF600. Not all PSUs have a passive fan mode as well, and I think I recall Stefan saying he doesn't really like passive fan modes.

I was not aware of that (the fan curves in the higher-wattage units). Why do you think that is? 

The EVGA 850GS unit I have is semi-passive and extremely quiet. (Note; I'm not saying everyone needs to buy an 850w unit, it's WAAAY overkill for my current system, just stating the fact that it's a higher-wattage unit that is very quiet). 

Is load on the unit not a contributing factor in the amount of heat the unit produces?

Not saying Stefan wanted a unit with passive mode, but he was stating that noise is a concern and I was simply pointing out that that is a feature on many units these days. Goes hand in hand IMO. ;) 

Spending hundreds (or in our current market - thousands) on GPUs you aren't able to utilize is a waste and shouldn't really be promoted. Most people never will SLI/Crossfire cards and shouldn't. Most people don't have access to a second GPU to put in their system once "for the memes."

I agree, SLI/CF is a waste in this day and age. But there are still people out there who do want and use it. Why? I don't know. But I wasn't referring to "most people". 

The components in a 450W unit will create less heat than a 700W unit. Thus the fan doesn't need to spin as fast.

Again, does loading not have an impact on this? Assuming both units are gold rated and have a 350w load placed on them, will they not create the same amount of heat +/- a few %? 

I don't necessarily disagree, but many PSUs fans are small enough to the point where that 200 RPM fan difference is noticeable. 

I just know 700rpm is still pretty slow for a 120-135mm fan, respectively. I guess it depends how quiet the room and the rest of your chassis fans are. 

Efficiency shouldn't be a relevant factor. So long as it meets your needs for wattage, build quality, performance, a warranty period you're cozy with, and meets the noise levels you need, then you might factor in efficiency at the end of that. However Ecova's 80 PLUS system was created with the intended purpose of saving companies money - corporations and orgs that run hundreds of computers and would see a substantial difference in their power bill going from, say, an 80 PLUS Bronze to Platinum unit. The average user won't see a real impact on their power bill unless they have an extremely power-hungry system they run at high load often (IE a GTX 1080 SLI system that they mine on, or similar).

With regards to efficiency, I wasn't stating it as a priority in terms of saving money on their energy bill. Are higher-efficiency units not also of better quality, generally speaking?

Thing is, if a person has a 1080 Ti and buys a 550W unit now, what would they be doing that would go beyond the capabilities of the 550W unit later? GPUs seem to have stagnated in terms of power demand and even a Fury X could still be run on a 550W unit with an 8700K. Spending the extra money on something you don't need is just a waste of money.

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. I see a PSU as a long-term component and I just personally don't see a problem, nor think it's a waste, going for an extra 100w of headroom for a few extra dollars at the same level of quality. But like @Stefan Payne just mentioned in the last post, most people don't change their system as often as some of us enthusiasts would and in those cases, I agree with you completely. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

I was not aware of that (the fan curves in the higher-wattage units). Why do you think that is? 

Several potential reasons:

1: Lower efficiency at low loads means more heat wastage.

2: Different fan model/variant used that has a lower min spec RPM

3: Larger unit requires more airflow to move hot air outside the chassis.

Is load on the unit not a contributing factor in the amount of heat the unit produces?

Yes it is, though it's not a gigantic change

Not saying Stefan wanted a unit with passive mode, but he was stating that noise is a concern and I was simply pointing out that that is a feature on many units these days. Goes hand in hand IMO. ;) 

Semi fanless has other issues, and isn't all that great.

I agree, SLI/CF is a waste in this day and age. But there are still people out there who do want and use it. Why? I don't know. But I wasn't referring to "most people". 

Muh AOTS benchmarks :P

Again, does loading not have an impact on this? Assuming both units are gold rated and have a 350w load placed on them, will they not create the same amount of heat +/- a few %? 

The lower wattage one would be slightly more efficient, due to efficiency curves, although it's still not a big difference

I just know 700rpm is still pretty slow for a 120-135mm fan, respectively. I guess it depends how quiet the room and the rest of your chassis fans are. 

700RPM is pretty decent IMHO, but my ears aren't great

With regards to efficiency, I wasn't stating it as a priority in terms of saving money on their energy bill. Are higher-efficiency units not also of better quality, generally speaking?

Not especially, The G1 (gold rated) is worse than a new CX/CXm or a Coolermaster Masterwatt and the Silverstone Strider Titanium is worse than an AX1200i (platinum) and I'd probably even prefer an RMx/Whisper M/Straight Power 11 (all gold) over it.

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. I see a PSU as a long-term component and I just personally don't see a problem, nor think it's a waste, going for an extra 100w of headroom for a few extra dollars at the same level of quality. But like @Stefan Payne just mentioned in the last post, most people don't change their system as often as some of us enthusiasts would and in those cases, I agree with you completely. ;) 

The thing is, unless you are upgraidng to multiGPU, HEDT are are turning the system into a hybrid gaming machine + NAS, you won't have any issues with 550w,,,

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

7 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Those 40 and 50°C Ambient Requires a rather strong fan to dissipate the heat of the unit.

400W at 90% equals roughly 45W to dissipate

1200W at 90% equals roughly 133W to dissipate

That's why you need a higher RPM fan.

The fan curve might even be the same for every unit.

The EVGA 850GS unit I have is semi-passive and extremely quiet. (Note; I'm not saying everyone needs to buy an 850w unit, it's WAAAY overkill for my current system, just stating the fact that it's a higher-wattage unit that is very quiet). 

That one is a relabeled Seasonic X-Series.

They aren't even that great in terms of noise but not as bad as for example the EVGA P2 for example.

Relative or absolute??

Relative it does not matter, absolute does.

Wich means:

The load on the secondary side is the important factor. If the PSU is loaded to 50% or 80% does not.

And the noise depends on what the Manufacturer of the PSU wants.

Some yes, some not.

The problem is that there are too many annoying PSU on the Market even with Gold and Platinum Efficiency from various manufacturers. Even if People tell they are quiet and awesome, they aren't - for example Super Flower made stuff.

My Leadex II 650/750W was rather disapointing.

It looks nice. 
People tell its silent.

But its not that good. There are far quieter units on the Market.

Yeah, they are.

But they don't care about Cost that much and get one of the (Platinum) Titanium PSU anyway.

There will always be people using that and its kinda interesting, but a pain in the Rear.

If you load a unit with 350W, both have about the same Efficiency, both will produce about the same amount of heat.

And that's why the higher wattage one can only be quieter if we are talking about two totally different units.

For example:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=469 550W

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=467 850W

Totally different Layout.

Öhm, no, that's pretty fast.

700rpm for an 80mm fan would be slow and rather quiet. (Had that on an older HEC 300W)

700rpm for a 140mm fan is noticable (Bitfenix Whisper M is a bit under, Super Flower Leadex II is over it)

700rpm for a 120mm fan is OKish (Cougar GX-S 650W is in that area for example)

900rpm for a 120mm fan is quite annoying (Super Flower Platinum King 650W) 

500rpm/120mm are pretty neat (Cougar LX500, be quiet Pure Power 10 400W CM)

350rpm are really awesome with a decent fan (Xilence Performance X 750W), with a bad fan not so much (Chieftec Power Smart 750W, Hong Hua fan)

That's all PSU I have right here right now...

Nope, not in general.

Just higher efficiency

There are however no really good quality Bronze unts on the Market, they are all on the Cheaper side.

But we can't really tell anything about the quality anyway, only guess...

Without total reverse engineering and checking the Temperature, measure Ripple current and shit like that...

Well, going from 450 to 550W I can agree.

Going from 550 to 650W not really because it doesn't really give you many advantages.

750W depends on the Series, sometimes it can give you an advantage over the 650W one for example Corsair RMi/x, 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM650i/5.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750i-power-supply,4223-3.html

Bigger Heatsinks, a bit larger.

Though that only applies to RMx/i V1.

V2 is something like Bitfenix Whisper M.

Is it worth going Platinum instead of Gold? for ~40$? Looking at Be quiet! PSU's.. PC will be running 8-14 hours daily..

Maybe there are even better PSU's? Around 100-160$ price.

Straight Power 11 | 550W

and

Dark Power Pro 11 550W

System specification if needed <3

Motherboard - Asrock Z370 Extreme4

Processor - Intel Core i5-8600K 95W 

CPU Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock 3

Memory - Corsair Vengeance DDR4, 2x8 16GB, 3000MHz

Graphics Card - Asus GeForce GTX 1080, 8GB, ROG Strix

SDD - Crucial MX500, 250GB

HDD - Seagate 2TB, 7200rpm, 64MB

Case will have 3x/120mm and 2x/140mm Fans

Thanks for helping <3

6 minutes ago, Heartlesss said:

Is it worth going Platinum instead of Gold? for ~40$? Looking at Be quiet! PSU's.. PC will be running 8-14 hours daily..

Straight Power 11 | 550W

and

Dark Power Pro 11 550W

On paper the difference between platinum and gold is almost negligible. You are looking at roughly 2% higher efficiency

On practice, it depends on what is your system power draw, how much time it spends under load, how expensive your electricity bill is, etcetera.

On the other hand if you already own a PC and just want to upgrade your power supply why not get the best you can? Again the difference might be very minor but assuming the PSU is something to keep for a long time paying an extra $40 for the extra efficiency isn't unreasonable (But remember higher 80+ rating doesn't necessarily mean It's actually more efficient so check reviews first to see actual PSU behaviour under different loads and situations.

Also I want to point out that  efficiency isn't the only thing you are paying for. Dark Power Pro are top-of-the-line power supplies so you also get improved build quality. 

What country are you from? Maybe we can recommend a better choice for that amount of money.

Thanks for reply.

At my country electricity price is around 0.17 for each 1000kWh i think (isn't so cheap here)

Can get many PSU's here by ordering..

This will be complete new build, that will last for at least 5 years..

Would love 2 see some recommendations.

21 minutes ago, Heartlesss said:

Straight Power 11 | 550W

and

Dark Power Pro 11 550W

System specification if needed <3

Motherboard - Asrock Z370 Extreme4

Processor - Intel Core i5-8600K 95W 

CPU Cooler - Be Quiet Dark Rock 3

Memory - Corsair Vengeance DDR4, 2x8 16GB, 3000MHz

Graphics Card - Asus GeForce GTX 1080, 8GB, ROG Strix

SDD - Crucial MX500, 250GB

HDD - Seagate 2TB, 7200rpm, 64MB

Case will have 3x/120mm and 2x/140mm Fans

Thanks for helping <3

Assuming you run the system at full power on 230V AC for 14 hours per day with the cost of $0,17/kWh, you'll gain about $7 per year. Since you'll probably not run it that hard, you shouldn't pay the premium for the cost savings. 

The Straight Power 11 is already really good. 

:)

4 minutes ago, Heartlesss said:

Thanks for reply.

At my country electricity price is around 0.17 for each 1000kWh i think (isn't so cheap here)

Can get many PSU's here by ordering..

This will be complete new build, that will last for at least 5 years..

Would love 2 see some recommendations.

What country are you from and what is your budget? We can't answer If we aren't given detailed information

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Assuming you run the system at full power on 230V AC for 14 hours per day with the cost of $0,17/kWh, you'll gain about $7 per year. Since you'll probably not run it that hard, you shouldn't pay the premium for the cost savings. 

Do you know where can I see the criteria to classify power supplies in the tier list. There are notes about tier 3 and 4 but I would like to know that makes a power supply enter tier 1 etc, capacitors, soldering, fans, etc.

Just now, 17030644 said:

What country are you from and what is your budget? We can't answer If we aren't given detailed information

Well i said 100-160$ :D From Latvia.

Just now, Heartlesss said:

Well i said 100-160$ :D From Latvia.

Sorry that's right I missed your budget

Any reputable stores with good prices you know from there?

Like i said, can get almost any psu by ordering..We got over 100 Stores here.. xD 

dateks <name of the one, that offer's most pc things

2 minutes ago, Heartlesss said:

Like i said, can get almost any psu by ordering..We got over 100 Stores here.. xD 

2 minutes ago, Heartlesss said:

Budget is in euros right?

Let me see what we can find

And are you building a PC from scratch? How much do you plan to spend on the whole build?

15 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Hmm.. you right, even in 5 year 40$ doesn't pay back..

Got my aye also on EVGA supernova G3 maybe it's better than Straight Power 11?

1 minute ago, Heartlesss said:

Hmm.. you right, even in 5 year 40$ doesn't pay back..

Got my aye also on EVGA supernova G3 maybe it's better than Straight Power 11?

supernova G3 is top of the line so It should be better than straight power on every regard

2 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Budget is in euros right?

Let me see what we can find

And are you building a PC from scratch? How much do you plan to spend on the whole build?

Plan was 1400$ at start.. but now its around 1800-1900$ (not a problem)

16 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Do you know where can I see the criteria to classify power supplies in the tier list. There are notes about tier 3 and 4 but I would like to know that makes a power supply enter tier 1 etc, capacitors, soldering, fans, etc.

I think the tier 1 requirement was performance equal to the G2. IIRC, that's <1% regulation and <~25mV ripple on 12V, a non sleeve bearing fan, (mostly) working protections, and decent components. 

:)

1 minute ago, 17030644 said:

supernova G3 is top of the line so It should be better than straight power on every regard

also heard some G3's had fan noises..