PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

23 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

New Cougar GX-F 750 review on TPU. Seems decent. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cougar/GX-F750/

Huh. Something that could actually do double duty inside my dual PIII rig, and handle being the main case exhaust.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

New Cougar GX-F 750 review on TPU. Seems decent. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cougar/GX-F750/

Yep, is pretty neat and uses Corsair Type 4 Connectors as well:
http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/netzteile-und-gehaeuse/506025-userreview-cougar-gx-f-550w-stefan-payne.html

Fan RPM is on the higher side, still lower than Leadex II,,,

And the price is quite nice - ~10€ less than RMx or Bitfenix Whisper M.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Krompir said:

Guys how do you feel about Cooler Master MasterWatt 750w? 

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/80-plus/masterwatt-750/

I saw that its in the second tier but i don't really know what are the parameters for each tier. So is this PSU good for an 8700k and GTX1080? I will OC both of them.

It's a budget unit. An overclocked 8700K and 1080 will draw well under 400W, so get a higher end 450-550W PSU instead. Depending on what's available, Whisper M, Straight Power 11, RMx, GF-X. Otherwise, Focus Plus Gold/Platinum, Focus Gold, TXM, G2/G3, Cooler Master V. 

:)

12 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's a budget unit. An overclocked 8700K and 1080 will draw well under 400W, so get a higher end 450-550W PSU instead. Depending on what's available, Whisper M, Straight Power 11, RMx, GF-X. Otherwise, Focus Plus Gold/Platinum, Focus Gold, TXM, G2/G3, Cooler Master V. 

Im sorry but i don't really have much knowledge with PSUs, but will i notice a difference between these and the MasterWatt?

15 minutes ago, Krompir said:

Im sorry but i don't really have much knowledge with PSUs, but will i notice a difference between these and the MasterWatt?

You may not see a difference now, but the idea is that the PSU lasts longer and puts less strain on your hardware.

If you can afford a GTX 1080 and 8700K with current prices then $70 for a PSU should be pocket change. A Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W has enough power for both components overclocked, if you desire, and is a bit better than the MasterWatt in terms of warranty, build quality, and so on.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

41 minutes ago, Krompir said:

Guys how do you feel about Cooler Master MasterWatt 750w? 

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/80-plus/masterwatt-750/

I saw that its in the second tier but i don't really know what are the parameters for each tier. So is this PSU good for an 8700k and GTX1080? I will OC both of them.

Get a good 450-550W in real good instead

Like Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M or Cougar GX-F

750W Bronze is bullshit  because if you have the money for a system that needs more than 550-600W, you easily have the money for a high end 750W Platinum unit.

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

If you can afford a GTX 1080 and 8700K with current prices then $70 for a PSU should be pocket change. A Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W has enough power for both components overclocked, if you desire, and is a bit better than the MasterWatt in terms of warranty, build quality, and so on.

Awesome, thank you! Im  buying in Germany so the prices are higher but this one seems like a great buy.

53 minutes ago, Krompir said:

Awesome, thank you! Im  buying in Germany so the prices are higher but this one seems like a great buy.

Are you kidding?!
Germany has one of the lowest Hardware Prices in the World. The US Prices might seem lower because they are without Tax!

While we have a whopping 19% on the stuff, its still cheaper than in most other parts of the World.

And if you are in Germany, why not get something from a German Brand?!

Be quiet Straight Power 11, 550W.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because the German PSU may not be the best value.

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The US Prices might seem lower because they are without Tax!

Wait so prices on NewEgg for example are all shown without taxes? And all this time i thought how lucky you are, huh..

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Im not from Germany and Be quiet Straight Power 11 550W seems too expensive since even the 750W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold is cheaper.

Seasonic: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-Seasonic-FOCUS-Plus-Modular-80--Gold_1184026.html

Be quiet!: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-be-quiet--Straight-Power-11-Modular-80--Gold_1223020.html

The Focus Gold seems really good bang for the buck tho..

4 minutes ago, Krompir said:

Wait so prices on NewEgg for example are all shown without taxes? And all this time i thought how lucky you are, huh..

Im not from Germany and Be quiet Straight Power 11 550W seems too expensive since even the 750W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold is cheaper.

Seasonic: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-Seasonic-FOCUS-Plus-Modular-80--Gold_1184026.html

Be quiet!: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-be-quiet--Straight-Power-11-Modular-80--Gold_1223020.html

The Focus Gold seems really good bang for the buck tho..

My vote goes to the Xilence Performance X or a Bitfenix Formula

Bitfenix: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/450-Watt-BitFenix-Formula-Non-Modular-80--Gold_1212316.html

Xilence: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-Xilence-Performance-X-Non-Modular-80--Gold_1185473.html

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

FSP Hexa is tier 7?

What are you talking about? I have the 500W version in my gaming PC, never had any problems, overclocking was a breeze, it is quiet enough, efficiency good enough, WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

It's been there for 5 years, used almost daily for a long time! It doesn't overheat, it doesn't crackle, it doesn't spike voltages, NOTHING!

But I do have a question here.

What about Eurocase power supplies? They're pretty common in cheap PCs, where would you rate them?

53 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

FSP Hexa is tier 7?

What are you talking about? I have the 500W version in my gaming PC, never had any problems, overclocking was a breeze, it is quiet enough, efficiency good enough, WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

It's been there for 5 years, used almost daily for a long time! It doesn't overheat, it doesn't crackle, it doesn't spike voltages, NOTHING!

What about Eurocase power supplies? They're pretty common in cheap PCs, where would you rate them?

Where do you want it to be, then? How do you know you haven't had any problems? Have you checked the ripple, regulation and whether the internals are in order? Efficiency and noise isn't considered, the electrical performance is. In order for a PSU to not be considered crap, it has to perform well. The hexa simply doesn't. 

If there aren't any reviews of a PSU, it's crap. 

The brands don't send out PSUs if they know they'll just be stamped as trash. I didn't find any review of Eurocase PSUs, and that's probably the reason. 

:)

53 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

FSP Hexa is tier 7?

No insulator on the main PCB, incomplete line filter, group regulated, 86mV ripple...

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

1 hour ago, Laggger164 said:

FSP Hexa is tier 7?

Lacking insulation under the PCB would be a start. I had a PSU fail and take out a motherboard due to the PSU's PCB shorting out on its case (still got it around here some where with the scorch marks to prove it how bad a problem it is).

PMSL

1 hour ago, Laggger164 said:

Eurocase = COdegen = Garbage

I'd rate them as pollution or defensive weapon, not a PowerSupply...

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Eurocase = COdegen = Garbage

I'd rate them as pollution or defensive weapon, not a PowerSupply...

I've still got a working (200W?) Codgen PSU. Turns out that 2x of the caps had failed because they were of the wrong temp+physical size (less surface area for heat dissipation). A bit of quick soldering+cheap caps and its working just fine with my Celeron 433 desktop (the motherboard is of a similar calibre, so if it goes bang.....eh).

PMSL

6 hours ago, Laggger164 said:

FSP Hexa is tier 7?

Just because you have one doesn't make it good.

Eurocase PSUs are Codegen crap.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

14 hours ago, Krompir said:

Yeah, near all prices in North America are excluding tax. But in Canada, if you live in a different province from the merchant there is no sales tax paid excluding federal sales tax, 5%. IDK about the US.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Just because you have one doesn't make it good.

Eurocase PSUs are Codegen crap.

Kind of like my 200W Codgen. Still not the worst PSU I've used, since it hasn't shocked me even once.

PMSL

Given the fact that of the 3 G3 reviews Aris has done so far 1 died during OPP test at ~127% (1000w), 1 gave 11V on the 12V rail before OPP/UVP kicked in (650w) and the last one (850w) had some... strange behavior with the minor rail OCP, and had stupidly high OTP (And had as much of an OPP gap as the 650w, though Aris did not record the voltages) I'd have to vote that it either be placed in T2/3+ or taken off the list entirely until we get more reviews that have the protection features tested...

650w review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533-6.html

850w Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-850-g3-psu,4930-6.html

1000W Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g3-psu,4941-6.html

PCs:

50 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF-750F14EG/10.html

Now I'm even more confused, G3 650/850 have OPP at 140%, 1000 died at 127% and Leadex Gold II 1000w is 140%, but Leadex Gold II (I know it's the same base platform, though there are a few changes) 750 is only 115%...

OTP is still quite high regardless.

PCs:

7 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

(I know it's the same base platform, though there are a few changes)

Leadex II is a completely different Plattform than EVGA G3.

The EVGA G3 are shortened versions wich needed a redesign of the PCB, so I'd say its a different Plattform with rather big changes...