PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

38 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

Was thinking about the claim of @Stefan Paynearound higher wattage PSUs being noisier at lower loads compared to their lower wattage brethren:

Every single one of these is either equal in noise with the higher wattage PSU or is louder with the higher wattage PSU!

Yes, as long as we are talking about the same Plattform....

Though there are some strange exceptions of course. For example a ~650W version of the same PSU with the same Plattform is louder than the ~550W _AND_ ~750W. But then again, I don't like 650W at all!

The only possibility that a higher wattage one can be better if we are are talking about two completely different plattforms.

ie Corsair RMx 750 vs. 550/650W, be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 850W vs. 750W.

But that's rather the exception and you have to know your stuff to know that...

In general:
650W is bullshit, either get a 450-550W or the 750W.

Best example is the be quiet Straight Power 11.

The 750W has a different plattform, though still the same (smallish) heatsings, for whatever reason, BUT: Just look at the Connectors!
The 750W has a different modular panel with way more connectors.

+1 Drive Connector, +1 CPU (10pin), +1 PCIe (12pin, 2 Connectors)...

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I take it this is a good replacement?

Current Corsair VS650:

Planned Corsair TX650M (around $10 less than what the VS650 cost me in store 3 years ago):

No, get an RMx or Bitfenix WhisperM, 450 or 550W or Formula, Cougar GX-F

You don't need 650W. If you did, you'd want two 8pin CPU Connectors anyway!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

15 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, as long as we are talking about the same Plattform....

Though there are some strange exceptions of course. For example a ~650W version of the same PSU with the same Plattform is louder than the ~550W _AND_ ~750W. But then again, I don't like 650W at all!

The only possibility that a higher wattage one can be better if we are are talking about two completely different plattforms.

ie Corsair RMx 750 vs. 550/650W, be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 850W vs. 750W.

But that's rather the exception and you have to know your stuff to know that...

In general:
650W is bullshit, either get a 450-550W or the 750W.

Best example is the be quiet Straight Power 11.

The 750W has a different plattform, though still the same (smallish) heatsings, for whatever reason, BUT: Just look at the Connectors!
The 750W has a different modular panel with way more connectors.

+1 Drive Connector, +1 CPU (10pin), +1 PCIe (12pin, 2 Connectors)...

No, get an RMx or Bitfenix WhisperM, 450 or 550W or Formula, Cougar GX-F

You don't need 650W. If you did, you'd want two 8pin CPU Connectors anyway!

I like having my GTX 650ti in the mobo's second slot (fun fact: The VS650 isn't happy with it plugged in via molex, despite the system power consumption being well under the limit for the 12V rail). Its also not shit like my previous CX850M.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I like having my GTX 650ti in the mobo's second slot

For what reason??

PhysX is dead and other than that, it doesn't make much sense.

For more Monitors you can use the IGP.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

(fun fact: The VS650 isn't happy with it plugged in via molex, despite the system power consumption being well under the limit for the 12V rail). Its also not shit like my previous CX850M.

And still no reason to go 650W because I use TWO Radeon HD7970GHZ/280X in my Ryzen 7/1700X System

Thoug I use an additional PCIe Cable from another PSU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

32 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

For what reason??

PhysX is dead and other than that, it doesn't make much sense.

For more Monitors you can use the IGP.

And still no reason to go 650W because I use TWO Radeon HD7970GHZ/280X in my Ryzen 7/1700X System

Thoug I use an additional PCIe Cable from another PSU.

Because I can.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=549

T1 ofc, all the RMx 2018 variants are on Cybernetics, though I don't know if the 550/650w variants are the final version or not. All are T1 material.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

Cybenetics hast testing for the EVGA BT 450W now. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=36&volts=1

SF as the OEM, 120mm sleeve bearing fan, 20-22AWG to the PCIe connectors, 7.6% regulation on 12V in CL (much better in the normal loads), under 25mV ripple on all rails (for sample #1), 1100-1800RPM on the fan. 

Edit: interestingly, sample #2 got significantly more ripple than the first one 

Edit 2: And they have the Formula as well.  Haven't checked all of the results, but the 450W had CWT as the OEM, 120mm Rifle Bearing fan, 0.39% regulation on 12V, under 30mV ripple on all rails, 550-1350RPM on the fan. That was for sample #2, as sample #1 had some issues with the ripple and worse regulation. But haven't checked the higher wattage versions. Looks like a tier 1, though. 

There is probably testing for some more units that aren't on the list yet

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

Yeah, load regulation doesn't seem bad. It's pretty great in fact, less than 0.5% on 12V, although it wiggles up and down on the way.

Voltage regulation on 12V in CL2 is almost out of spec indeed though.

I wonder about the protections now, Aris will soon publish his tests on Tom's or TPU.

53 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Edit 2: And they have the Formula as well.  Haven't checked all of the results, but the 450W had CWT as the OEM, 120mm Rifle Bearing fan, 0.39% regulation on 12V, under 30mV ripple on all rails, 550-1350RPM on the fan. That was for sample #2, as sample #1 had some issues with the ripple and worse regulation. But haven't checked the higher wattage versions. Looks like a tier 1, though. 

There is probably testing for some more units that aren't on the list yet

What, do you mean BitFenix Formula Gold? It was already tested in many places:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-formula-gold-650w-psu,5382.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Bitfenix/BF750F/

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_formula_gold_450/s01.php

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=535

14 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Yeah, load regulation doesn't seem bad. It's pretty great in fact, less than 0.5% on 12V, although it wiggles up and down on the way.

Voltage regulation on 12V in CL2 is almost out of spec indeed though.

I wonder about the protections now, Aris will soon publish his tests on Tom's or TPU.

What, do you mean BitFenix Formula Gold? It was already tested in many places:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-formula-gold-650w-psu,5382.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Bitfenix/BF750F/

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_formula_gold_450/s01.php

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=535

But it's not on the tier list. 

Hello guys! I need some help about what psu should I buy.

I'm actually building my first pc but I'm having some problems with it which made me lil sad. At first I bought an Aerocool KCAS600W because the reviews at amazon looked ok, but after buying it I realized that it was total garbage that couldn't even keep my pc on while gaming, freezing and turning off it.

So, now after looking for the tier list I'm not really sure about what should I buy, there are so many possible choices.

My pc is:

- i5 8400

- 8 gb ram Crucial 2666 mhz

- b360 gigabyte d3h

- 1060 3gb ITX gigabyte

- cooler master hyper tx3 evo

- Nox hummer mcw case

If possible I would like not to spend more than 85$, I have a limited budget.

Thank you for your attention guys, let's hope you can help me out =)

3 minutes ago, Peterlos said:

Hello guys! I need some help about what psu should I buy.

I'm actually building my first pc but I'm having some problems with it which made me lil sad. At first I bought an Aerocool KCAS600W because the reviews at amazon looked ok, but after buying it I realized that it was total garbage that couldn't even keep my pc on while gaming, freezing and turning off it.

So, now after looking for the tier list I'm not really sure about what should I buy, there are so many possible choices.

My pc is:

- i5 8400

- 8 gb ram Crucial 2666 mhz

- b360 gigabyte d3h

- 1060 3gb ITX gigabyte

- cooler master hyper tx3 evo

- Nox hummer mcw case

If possible I would like not to spend more than 85$, I have a limited budget.

Thank you for your attention guys, let's hope you can help me out =)

TXM has a $20 rebate right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

7 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Sadly I'm not from EE.UU, so I can't pick up that offer.

I live at Spain, that psu is atm at 80 bucks https://www.amazon.es/Corsair-TXM-TX550M-alimentación-CP-9020133-EU/dp/B06WV7Z1ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525820820&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+txm

Is it still a good choice or there is anything better overthere for that price. If not I'll just buy it.

Btw, thank you for that super fast reply!!!!! 

3 minutes ago, Peterlos said:

Sadly I'm not from EE.UU, so I can't pick up that offer.

I live at Spain, that psu is atm at 80 bucks https://www.amazon.es/Corsair-TXM-TX550M-alimentación-CP-9020133-EU/dp/B06WV7Z1ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525820820&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+txm

Is it still a good choice or there is anything better overthere for that price. If not I'll just buy it.

Btw, thank you for that super fast reply!!!!! 

https://www.amazon.es/Corsair-CP-9020111-550W-Negro-unidad/dp/B01CQ4AO3A/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525821459&sr=1-3&keywords=corsair+cxm

equal to txm nearly, loud as TXM

https://www.amazon.es/quiet-Pure-Power-500W-Negro/dp/B01N4P1305/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525821473&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=pure+poer+10

worse by a little bit but silent

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Where is silverstone strider Platinum??

3 hours ago, pomkon said:

Where is silverstone strider Platinum??

After reading reviews I will place it Tier 2.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

@Peterlosif you could get it from Coolmod, a Bitfenix Formula 550 would be absolutely great. But as you may know it's a "controversial" store, so I would understand it if you just want to buy from Amazon. In that case, Pure Power or Vengeance seem the best options for less than 80€.

Saludos

On 08/05/2018 at 6:31 PM, awesomegamer919 said:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=549

T1 ofc, all the RMx 2018 variants are on Cybernetics, though I don't know if the 550/650w variants are the final version or not. All are T1 material.

And shorter too compared to previous RMx

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

And shorter too compared to previous RMx

New 550W and 650W have no benefit to the end user over the old versions.  They're just wireless internally so they're easier to assemble at the factory.  

The 750W and 850W, however, are 20mm shorter than the old version.

23 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The 750W and 850W, however, are 20mm shorter than the old version.

Guessing this is to compete with the G3? Also the Seasonic Focus mentioned in the article?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This might be stretching it, there's a sale on the TX550M for $45 but not sure if it'll power my components with headroom....

Q6600 (OC'd)

8GB DDR2

GTX 480 (OC'd)

8800 GT(PhysX) 

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

This might be stretching it, there's a sale on the TX550M for $45 but not sure if it'll power my components with headroom....

Q6600 (OC'd)

8GB

GTX 480 (OC'd)

8800 GT(PhysX) 

550W is enough for that. I'd just not put the 8800 in there since PhysX is useless.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

550W is enough for that.

I figure it would still draw 450W minimum, but I'm looking for a reliable PSU under $50. Seems like the TX550M would be the best. 

On 7/23/2016 at 12:44 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Tier 2

• Corsair - Most RM variants, HX (old), 550W/650W 2017 TXM, Vengeance

Can you guys identify which model of HX750W I have? Pic attached. It's the blue label and it's roughly 10 years old. I'm not sure if it's the one referenced in the Tier 2 list as "HX Old" or if it's a different model since I believe there's been a few revisions over the years.
Also read that some models of the HX series was downgraded from 80+Gold to 80+Silver - was that a result of production change or was the actual rating for existing units changed?

Spoiler

IMG_20170828_150132.jpg.6d7132409e63a8a547913e5b7cc70e0f.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Can you guys identify which model of HX750W I have? Pic attached. It's the blue label and it's roughly 10 years old. I'm not sure if it's the one referenced in the Tier 2 list as "HX Old" or if it's a different model since I believe there's been a few revisions over the years.
Also read that some models of the HX series was downgraded from 80+Gold to 80+Silver - was that a result of production change or was the actual rating for existing units changed?

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20170828_150132.jpg.6d7132409e63a8a547913e5b7cc70e0f.jpg

Looks like this one. Should probably be a bit lower than tier 2.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-hx750w-power-supply-review/

There's been quite a lot of different HX series PSUs over the years. Looks like some are missing.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Looks like this one. Should probably be a bit lower than tier 2.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-hx750w-power-supply-review/

Thanks for those links. Looks like the same model as mine and the review is from mid-2009 which would fit in around when I bought it.

Answers my other question as well.

Something interesting happened with this power supply 80 Plus certification. According to 80 Plus this unit, together with HX850W, is Gold certified – minimum efficiency of 90% at typical load (50% load, i.e., 375 W) and a minimum efficiency of 87% under light (20% load, i.e., 150 W) and full (750 W) loads –, however since the results achieved by 80 Plus were so close to these minimum requirements Corsair decided to downgrade these two units to Silver (88% under typical load and 85% under light and full loads) by themselves. On a market that usually manufacturers like to exaggerate about product characteristics it is really nice to see a manufacturer doing exactly the opposite: reducing the numbers to protect users. Kudos to Corsair.

Unit has served me well over multiple builds I was just curious how it stacked up to more modern units. Thanks for your help.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450