PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 hour ago, YF2 said:

PSU units can differ, version can differ, reviewers, test setups, environments, etc, all can differ from review to review. Therefore, it's important to know based on what someone is claiming his/her conclusions.

Generally speaking we wait for at least two reviews, or one very thorough one like the ones from tomshardware, before tiering a PSU, and the Tier is always subject to change as news arrive.

1 hour ago, YF2 said:

Imagine that medical papers would be published without any literature references. Such papers would immediately be considered worthless/unreliable.

Imagine that in Wikipedia it wouldn't be possible to references statements/claims....

Imagine that everybody would belief what someone is claiming on Twitter, than Trump and the Russians would rule the world.

You're asking us to do a bunch of work, as a small team and for free. This won't happen.

1 hour ago, YF2 said:

A PSU expert says that these "tier lists" are worthless, especially the people who belief it. (Now I'm doing the same ;) )

I have a references of this statement, but you probably aren't interested in a reference, because you would belief me straightaway, right? ;)

You are entitled to an opinion. However you won't convince anyone with this attitude.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

You're asking us to do a bunch of work, as a small team and for free. This won't happen.

If you already take effort to study PSU reviews, than simply copy/pasting a link is like 1% effort compared to reading the review.

Adding your conclusions and motivation of these conclusions etc, would be a lot of work, but a copy/pasting a link is not.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

You are entitled to an opinion. However you won't convince anyone with this attitude.

That's the exact same attitude that the guys that put up such tier lists have. Those are opinions if there are no references. Those lists will only convince people that swallow opinions of others without critical thinking.

34 minutes ago, YF2 said:

If you already take effort to study PSU reviews, than simply copy/pasting a link is like 1% effort compared to reading the review.

Adding your conclusions and motivation of these conclusions etc, would be a lot of work, but a copy/pasting a link is not.

That's the exact same attitude that the guys that put up such tier lists have. Those are opinions if there are no references. Those lists will only convince people that swallow opinions of others without critical thinking.

You're welcome to criticise the list in a fair manner, I encourage you to do so.

But you cannot force everyone to criticise it. Some people don't have the time. This list is for people who decide to put their trust on us, and just need a quick look at the list to give themselves an idea of whether the PSU they want to buy is any good. You should respect these people's decision not to dig deeper.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, YF2 said:

search the model and review and grab someone like johnny guru's review and read.

we have some paricular things.

bad fan types can't go above t3 (its been a while sense this was bough up)\

who makes is doesn't mater

efficient doesn't get you a higher spot. 

Edited by GDRRiley
fixed fan issue

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 hours ago, YF2 said:

PSU units

"Power Supply Unit units" :P

3 hours ago, YF2 said:

PSU units can differ, version can differ, reviewers, test setups, environments, etc, all can differ from review to review. Therefore, it's important to know based on what someone is claiming his/her conclusions.

If different models with the same name are available (high vs low wattage, or something like the HX), that's mentioned in the tier list.

The list doesn't look at the reviewers' conclusions, it looks at how they perform. All proper reviews use a load tester, use proper equipment to take measurements, check the PSU internals, and usually make measurements at two ambient temperatures. 

3 hours ago, YF2 said:

Imagine that medical papers would be published without any literature references. Such papers would immediately be considered worthless/unreliable.

Imagine that in Wikipedia it wouldn't be possible to references statements/claims....

Imagine that everybody would belief what someone is claiming on Twitter, than Trump and the Russians would rule the world.

It's really easy to see look up a PSU review and know if it's credible at all. If the review uses proper equipment, it's useful. If it doesn't, it's useless. It's not like other situations, where you can be in doubt. 

3 hours ago, YF2 said:

You shouldn't simply belief someone that says "Product x is the best, Product y is the worst" without any proof or motivation at all.

If someone is in doubt, they're free to ask why such and such product is rated such and such. 

3 hours ago, YF2 said:

A PSU expert says that these "tier lists" are worthless, especially the people who belief it. (Now I'm doing the same ;) )

I have a references of this statement, but you probably aren't interested in a reference, because you would belief me straightaway, right? ;)

Not the same, because that refers to a person you believe to be an expert. That is subjective. And based on that information, you can't easily find who you're referring to, nor if they made such an statement.

:)

Just now, GDRRiley said:

bad fan types can't go above t2 (its been a while sense this was bough up)\

They don't go above T3 actually :P

T2 and up is Ball or FDB/similar improvements to the sleeve bearing.

Also we don't score based on noise or aesthetics. Only performance and build quality

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

They don't go above T3 actually :P

thanks I couldn't remember. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

search the model and review and grab someone like johnny guru's review and read.

we have some paricular things.

bad fan types can't go above t3 (its been a while sense this was bough up)\

who makes is doesn't mater

efficient doesn't get you a higher spot. 

(Such info should at least be copy/pasted into the openings post, to make it a bit more verifiable.)

Btw, the review source you are referencing to as credible, is calling this Linus list "completely subjective".

1 hour ago, YF2 said:

(Such info should at least be copy/pasted into the openings post, to make it a bit more verifiable.)

Btw, the review source you are referencing to as credible, is calling this Linus list "completely subjective".

We know Jonnyguru and most people on that site hate tier lists. And if you read some of my writing on that website I have explained philosophically where a lot of them may be misled but that's besides the point.

At the end of the day anybody can make a list. I can make a list where I make all Logisys PSUs tier 1 and all Seasonic PSUs tier 5. Nobody can stop me because I'm just a random person on the Internet making a list. Nobody is paying me and I'm not charging anybody money.

I used to be in your exact position. Look maybe 1.5 years ago and I was here talking about how this list sucks and tier lists should die or whatever. My mind has completely changed, I no longer think that. The reason being is because it's just a list.

Of course you have every right to question the list, despise the list. But please just keep a respectful demeanor when discussing the list.

Now let's take this conversation to a new level: identify the problem. What is the problem you are identifying? Because right now there is so much discussion above that is all jumbled and chaotic. Conversation needs to be fluid and formal.

3 hours ago, YF2 said:

Yo I'd totally have links to all my PSU resources if LTT allowed external links outside PCPP in our signatures, but alas, they do not. Here's my repertoire of information.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/PSUs/

Advanced Googling tactics if neither shows me what I need.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What is the general consensus around Sirfa power supplies such as the Toughpower Grand? I've gotten the feeling that they aren't that bad.....I'm trying to compile my own mini-list of power supplies from lesser known manufacturers.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

44 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

What is the general consensus around Sirfa power supplies such as the Toughpower Grand? I've gotten the feeling that they aren't that bad.....I'm trying to compile my own mini-list of power supplies from lesser known manufacturers.

The good Sirfa-made units are good, and bad Sirfa-made units are bad; can't put a blanket on it.

Well you could go by platforms I guess! The ones they used in Gold Thermaltakes are nice. The HPM platform from things like Rosewill Photon <=750W is nice too, but worse than current good ones like Corsair TXM.

5 hours ago, SpencerC said:

Some are good some are bad. One manufacturer can make good or bad things. Even SeaSonic has made some bad units.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 hours ago, SpencerC said:

Depends on the Plattform.

The golden ones are OK...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

34 minutes ago, JDE said:

Wow. Yes.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

8 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Tie

13 minutes ago, JDE said:

Looks like we gotta do a wattage split since I put the lower ones in T2...

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Looks like we gotta do a wattage split since I put the lower ones in T2...

yep. not surprised. 

Looking for a PSU for a GTX770 (Gigabyte Windforce 3X OC) and an i5-4570. Arrived at two options: 

• Corsair CX550 (CP-9020121)
  • Cooler Master MWE 550 (MPX-5501-ACAAB)

CX550 seems to be T3, where does the MWE stack up? Both appear to be DC-DC and are basically identical in price at ~58€. The only clear difference from the specs is that CM includes OCP, whereas Corsair doesn't. Does that alone make Cooler Master the better option? I can't find reviews for the latter (or former? but since it's tiered, I guess I'm missing something?), any ideas? Possibly other options for the price?

Also, 

On 7/23/2016 at 5:44 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

450W/550W CX have one PCIe connection so don't use a GPU with these that requires more than two 6+2-pin connections. 

so they've got two PCIe connections then? Is it me or does this make no sense? 

Either way, CX550 is listed as having 2 PCIe connectors on their site (written as 2x 6+2 pin PCIe in a local store) and CM has 2X PCI-e 6+2 Pin on their page. Just to confirm, that's fine for the card then? 

2 minutes ago, VonZigmas said:

Looking for a PSU for a GTX770 (Gigabyte Windforce 3X OC) and an i5-4570. Arrived at two options: 

• Corsair CX550 (CP-9020121)
  • Cooler Master MWE 550 (MPX-5501-ACAAB)

CX550 seems to be T3, where does the MWE stack up? Both appear to be DC-DC and are basically identical in price at ~58€. The only clear difference from the specs is that CM includes OCP, whereas Corsair doesn't. Does that alone make Cooler Master the better option? I can't find reviews for the latter (or former? but since it's tiered, I guess I'm missing something?), any ideas? Possibly other options for the price?

Also, 

so they've got two PCIe connections then? Is it me or does this make no sense? 

Either way, CX550 is listed as having 2 PCIe connectors on their site (written as 2x 6+2 pin PCIe in a local store) and CM has 2X PCI-e 6+2 Pin on their page. Just to confirm, that's fine for the card then? 

The CX450, for example, doesn't have the PCIe connections for a 1080Ti with two 8-pins, I do believe. The PSU could power a FE 1070 or anything with a single 8-pin connection.

I'd get the CX550 if your GTX 770 doesn't need more pins. Otherwise I'd look into something else. That Cooler Master is kind of suspect so I'd probably pass on it.

21 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The CX450, for example, doesn't have the PCIe connections for a 1080Ti with two 8-pins, I do believe. The PSU could power a FE 1070 or anything with a single 8-pin connection.

I'd get the CX550 if your GTX 770 doesn't need more pins. Otherwise I'd look into something else. That Cooler Master is kind of suspect so I'd probably pass on it.

The CX550 is listed as having two PCIe connectors on Corsair's website. You really need to fix that :P

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx550-550-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-atx-psu-na

:)

Yeah, the CX450 has only a single PCIe connector listed. But yet again, I can't find whether that's 6 or 6+2 pin. Still, shouldn't they be separate? 

The 770 requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin to power it. Assuming Corsair means 6+2 connectors by 'PCIe', that should work? 

24 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That Cooler Master is kind of suspect

Why do you think so? 

57 minutes ago, VonZigmas said:

Yeah, the CX450 has only a single PCIe connector listed. But yet again, I can't find whether that's 6 or 6+2 pin. Still, shouldn't they be separate? 

The 770 requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin to power it. Assuming Corsair means 6+2 connectors by 'PCIe', that should work? 

Why do you think so? 

I think the CX550 has two? I'll have to correct that on there. For a 770 it's fine.

Also because there are no professional reviews of it.