PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 minute ago, Ghavio1516 said:

I have Cooler master masterwatt lite 500 for this spec

Athlon X4 870K @4.0GHz

8GB DDR3

Radeon HD 5870 @1GHz

160+500GB HDD7.2k rpm

1 case fan

Should i buy a better power supply or use the 500??

those are low powered components and pretty cheap so even if things go kaboom you would not waste much money

i think you are ok

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

2 hours ago, Rexper said:

Yes, and it's also better than the CXM and Vengeance. Why is it still in T3?

Show a review of that unit and we might consider it.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, Rexper said:

Why are Corsair CX 2017 Tier 3, when they're better build quality/performance than the CXM with a better fan (which was the only thing "holding the CXM back"). It's probably better than the Vengeance which is in Tier 1.

I work for Corsair and even admit that the current Vengeance shouldn't be in tier 1.  It's double forward amd doesn't have an FDB or DBB fan.  My guess is it's there because it has Japanese caps.

There's lots of examples like this on this list that makes this list a "loose reference" at best.

But that's why this isn't my list.  ;)

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I work for Corsair and even admit that the current Vengeance shouldn't be in tier 1.  It's double forward amd doesn't have an FDB or DBB fan.  My guess is it's there because it has Japanese caps.

There's lots of examples like this on this list that makes this list a "loose reference" at best.

Would you be able to explain the hub-bub around Japanese caps? I haven't quite understood why anything that doesn't have these parts is "bad".....

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

26 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

Would you be able to explain the hub-bub around Japanese caps? I haven't quite understood why anything that doesn't have these parts is "bad".....

Mostly marketing.  It's Japanese.  Not Chinese.  Therefore it must be better.

I think I've only seen this stand true with rechargeable batteries and even that's bound to change in the near future.

Ironically, 99% of the Japanese caps used in PSUs made in China are made in China, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. themselves.

The one thing that Japanese caps may have that others don't (depending on the make and series of capacitor) is a electrode foil that made from more pure aluminum than aluminum obtained from local suppliers.  I've found though that this makes the biggest difference in the "bulk" or "primary" caps.  Not so much on the secondary caps as long as a good brand cap that is appropriate for the application is used.

But over the past decade, non-Japanese cap manufacturers have been more discerning about their raw material suppliers and have been making caps just as good as Japan.  They realize that for companies to start buying their caps again, they have to provide a good product.  If they sell crap, people aren't going to buy it.  We're actually seeing a lot of factories close down completely because they can't make good caps and people aren't buying their crap.  As a side note, China is also shutting down a lot of factories for not meeting environmental sanctions put forward by the government.  If a company is going to build a new, environmentally friendly factory and expect profitability, they better build a product people WANT.  People don't want shitty caps.  A new factory might get away with producing five years of crap, but after people stop using your product due to constant failures, your sales are going to tank and you're not going to see an ROI on that factory.  At the end of the day, it's just not worth it.

Where's diablotek and logisys? Tier 12? xD 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

I put it up there because of electrical performance, but enough people have complained about it I bumped it down one.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

47 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Their value for money is terrible as they're practically useless without one of these.

https://www.amfam.com/insurance/home/coverages

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

56 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Pollution, not a real product ,)

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Show a review of that unit and we might consider it.

For the GW version of CX 650: https://club.dns-shop.ru/hardware/Обзор-и-тестирование-блока-питания-Corsair-CX650/

GW version of CX 450: https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=VUm

GW version of CX 550: https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=CUj

There are only review/tastings of the GW variant, as far as I can see. As you already mentioned in another forum the fan is rather loud for the CX450 at low load.

13 minutes ago, Rexper said:

For the GW version of CX 650: https://club.dns-shop.ru/hardware/Обзор-и-тестирование-блока-питания-Corsair-CX650/

There are only review/tastings of the GW variant, as far as I can see. As you already mentioned in another forum the fan is rather loud for the CX450 at low load.

The second and third link seem to endlessly load for me, but the first review provided great information, thank you. Graphs are in Russian but I got the gist.

Cybernetics website seems to be a bit buggy.

You can go to the database, https://cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

Select Corsair start slowly scrolling down, when you reach the bottom of page keep scrolling. This is a trick that sometimes work for me, otherwise the page won’t load properly.

from there you can find their ratings on the CX series as well as testing PDFs.

3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I put it up there because of electrical performance, but enough people have complained about it I bumped it down one.

Wait, shouldn't it be T3 if it doesn't have a FDB fan?

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

We do try to make it as accurate as possible while remaining parsable for your usual customer who doesn't wanna learn the difference between Double Forward and Half Bridge. So if you have any inputs we'll listen to them :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Wait, shouldn't it be T3 if it doesn't have a FDB fan?

I think Rifle/Ball take it out of T3 as well.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

36 minutes ago, JDE said:

I think Rifle/Ball take it out of T3 as well.

Fair enough, had forgotten. If it's rifle then it can go over T3.

(double) Ball bearings aren't really unreliable, they're just noisier so no problems there.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Fair enough, had forgotten. If it's rifle then it can go over T3.

(double) Ball bearings aren't really unreliable, they're just noisier so no problems there.

I think DBB might even be more reliable than FDB normally. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe Aris stated that in a Tomshardware article recently.

I always pick Corsair CX###M so I need to study up on some other Tier 1 and Tier 2 models!

4 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

They're gonna cost more.

because you know I am cheap!!! And its true!!!

26 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

because you know I am cheap!!! And its true!!!

As long as you buy what's in your best interests and consider your interests...

1 hour ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I think DBB might even be more reliable than FDB normally. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe Aris stated that in a Tomshardware article recently.

I don't agree.  FDB should last just as long as DBB.

I do agree that rifle bearing should knock something down to tier two.  No need to knock it down to tier three just because of the fan bearing unless the bearing was sleeve.  Then it should be tier 4 at the highest.

9 hours ago, Rexper said:

And the CWT Version?
That is the problem right now that there aren't many tests about the CX series because you need them both tested...

And I like the GW version more for some reasons...

And that russian thing is the CWT version...

You can identify them easily with the secondary heatsinks...

1 hour ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Only at high temperatures and many start/stopp cycles. But you can rectify it like Noctua did with a magnet or so.

And also DBB is rather annoying. They might last for forever but at what noise levels??

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

I don't agree.  FDB should last just as long as DBB.

I do agree that rifle bearing should knock something down to tier two.  No need to knock it down to tier three just because of the fan bearing unless the bearing was sleeve.  Then it should be tier 4 at the highest.

I think I'd rather keep PSUs with sleeve bearing fan and a lengthy enough warranty on T3, but could consider bumping some of the units with sleeve bearing and 3 years or less warranty down. Because even if the fan dies early, if the PSU's still under warranty the user's got that going for themselves.

Would FDBs last as long as DBB even in very high RPM server fans? I see those still be mostly DBB.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Would FDBs last as long as DBB even in very high RPM server fans? I see those still be mostly DBB.

Because:
a) they were always 2BB

b) they might think about high ambient temperatures for whatever reasons...

And because they always did it is sadly an argument for many people and also some industrys...

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because:
a) they were always 2BB

b) they might think about high ambient temperatures for whatever reasons...

And because they always did it is sadly an argument for many people and also some industrys...

Oh and another thing:
There aren't many manufacturers with FDB at all!

Because its still patented and you might have to have a license from Panasonic. ANd thus you only have Protechnic doing real FDB.

And because the companys they work with don't have FDB...

Mostly you see something like Nidec, Sanyo Denki, maybe Delta in Servers...

But on the other hand there were some manufacturers selling "High Quality Sleeve Bearings" even back in the day - EBM Papst for example with their Sintec Bearing.