PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Not too sure about the Thermaltake 1250D-T RGB being in the Tier 1...I work at a PC computer/repair and every single unit we purchased has either caught fire or burnt out in a month.

17 minutes ago, 521778 said:

Not too sure about the Thermaltake 1250D-T RGB being in the Tier 1...I work at a PC computer/repair and every single unit we purchased has either caught fire or burnt out in a month.

What's "burnt out" on them? They're based on a platform used in lots of other PSUs. Perhaps the RGB fan produces heat like crazy or something weird like that?

Also, how many have you really seen in a month of the 1250W version of that PSU...?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

11 minutes ago, SidharthAGupta said:

hello everyone.if anyone is planning to buy a new budget gaming psu check my video out.it will surely help.

Corsair CX450 is the best choice and comes under tier 3 in PSU tire list...

Unless you have a load tester, a power meter, an oscilloscope and a lot of knowledge about PSUs, a video won't help. 

:)

Sorry, but I had to screenshot this:

qIjJ9Z9.png

This one time I had a tier 1 PSU go kabloom within 6 months (The Antec I mentioned above).

Linus is my fetish.

I remembered I recently took this pic that may either bring a tear to your eyes, or trigger your perfectionist / techie OCD:

I DO NOT RECOMMEND CLICKING BELOW ...

rYdj0iz.jpg

I accidentally scuffed my XFX Pro's label due to the sheer number of times its been moved between rigs and cases :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Linus is my fetish.

17 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Sorry, but I had to screenshot this:

qIjJ9Z9.png

This one time I had a tier 1 PSU go kabloom within 6 months (The Antec I mentioned above).

I wonder why does it say "If you were to power a low powered rig up to 350W". Corsair CX450 can handle 100% of its labeled power continuously.

5 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Why stop? I don't see a new product being introduced into the power supply market is a bad thing. As consumers, we get more choices now, and a 2200W desktop PSU for consumers is unheard of until now. It'll be perfect for serious miners, I suppose.

True, but is the mining market a market you want to appeal to? Prone to collapsing at any time, and warranty fraud after it's collapsed.

5 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I do not think negatively of a product if people misuse it. If people do happen to import them from Europe, the fault is entirely on them. Nor would I, if in a position of power, refrain from developing a product on the sole condition that people may buy the product in unusable conditions.

Sorry if it sounded like I was bashing the product for being 200-240V only. I'm not. But I'm predicting a lot of idiots buying it, without researching, the wonder why it doesn't work. Which could result in lots of RMAs from idiots.

It won't be EVGA's fault, but I think it will still bite them on the bum.

12 minutes ago, SidharthAGupta said:

BECUSE buddy no matter how good the psu is,you should always keep it in its almost 80 % total capacity as an additional safety measure..

No, the safety measures are the built in protections in the PSU. And the warranty is a thing, you know.

No PSU will reliably last for 15 years, no matter the usage.

15 minutes ago, SidharthAGupta said:

BECUSE buddy no matter how good the psu is,you should always keep it in its almost 80 % total capacity as an additional safety measure..

No. That's not how it works.

The 80plus rating system is efficiency.

At 20%, 50% and 100% load, the PSU has to reach a certain efficiency rating, to achieve a certain 80plus rating.

If a PSU says it can do 450W, I'd expect it to be able to do output a wattage higher than 450W on the 12V rails.

2 minutes ago, SidharthAGupta said:

therotically you are correct...BUT i would still keep it under a psu's 80%-90% of  total output(of respective rails) and buy a higher wattage psu if needed ADDITIonal power..

Why? Any PSU from any decent brand is rated for full power at its maximum temperature 24/7 for the entirety of its warranty

1 minute ago, SidharthAGupta said:

i believe in a stable system,i do not want to open up my case and change my psu in case if something burns.Also my psu is mid range with no high end capacitors.so i prefer that way..

But then you risked opening up your PSU for your review video?

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, SidharthAGupta said:

i didnt open . it was a pic from oriondsub

Oh sorry, I thought they were your pics.

Linus is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, SidharthAGupta said:

i believe in a stable system,i do not want to open up my case and change my psu in case if something burns.Also my psu is mid range with no high end capacitors.so i prefer that way..

if i had flagship model  psus's of corsair then i would have operated in its max load

As I said, that won't be a problem for any PSU from any decent brand.

2 hours ago, SidharthAGupta said:

1. Because

2. Stop shouting utter nonsense. Look at the Picture:

DSC_4247Andere.md.jpg

The MANUFACTURER guarantees 100% load at 24/7, that should be enough to prove you wrong.

Oh and that's at specified maximum ambient temperature usually something between 40 and 50°C with somewhat decent PSU. In this case I believe it was 50°C.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, SidharthAGupta said:

i believe

That is the Problem.

You believe, you do not know!

And you want to believe that what someone somewhere told you 20 years ago was correct - but it is not.

You are just propagating fairy tales from 20 years ago so stop it pls.

i do not want to open up my case and change my psu in case if something burns.

Why should that be the case?!

Especially if all Whisper M use the same Plattform. And all Bitfenix Formula use the same Plattform as well.

Also my psu is mid range with no high end capacitors.so i prefer that way..

Capacitors are the most overrated component of modern PSU.

But then again, you believe, you do not know. So you want to believe in the capacitors...

if i had flagship model  psus's of corsair then i would have operated in its max load

Even mid range units are more than capable of its rated wattage.

Why the hell should it be rated 450W if it can't deliver it continuously?!
Makes literally no sense!

No "named brand" will ever rate its PSU with Peak Rating!

i didnt open . it was a pic from orionpsudb

1. There is something called copyright

2. With that you don't even know if that is your CX450 because there is another possibility.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

ok.. you are correct and thank you for the information...

and sorry everyone, if i have given any wrong information..

2 minutes ago, SidharthAGupta said:

ok you are correct.but whats with the hate?

If you call criticism hate, that's an issue

7 hours ago, SidharthAGupta said:

How could you convince me that I should keep my PSU under 80%? People say this without any evidence to back it up or without any conditions that seemingly would guarantee such a conclusion.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128