PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 hour ago, pcnoob27 said:

Where does the BeQuiet! System Power B8 450w belong?

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/676

System Integrator Quality, nothing an End User should buy or think about.

In that area, a Xilence Performance A+ (NOT A!) is the worst you should get because DC-DC.

Everything that doesn't have DC-DC should be avoided with modern PCs.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

System Integrator Quality, nothing an End User should buy or think about.

In that area, a Xilence Performance A+ (NOT A!) is the worst you should get because DC-DC.

Everything that doesn't have DC-DC should be avoided with modern PCs.

I disagree, a group regulated PSU can be fine with a modern PC.

7 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I don't think I can name any that I'd like in my own system right now though.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yeah but your desires are unimportant (no offense XD)

A statement like "Everything that doesn't have DC-DC should be avoided with modern PCs." has a lot of problems. The word "everything" is one of the most risky things. Ever take a true or false quiz in school and notice that statements that say "every" are almost always going to be false?

There are a lot of people who still buy the S12ii for the modern PC, which I say is modern because they are building it in 2017/18, and the power supply works. They run their computer, they can zip files, play games, watch videos. So something is amiss with that statement that anything not DC-DC should be avoided for modern PCs.

1 minute ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Yeah but your desires are unimportant (no offense XD)

A statement like "Everything that doesn't have DC-DC should be avoided with modern PCs." has a lot of problems. The word "everything" is one of the most risky things. Ever take a true or false quiz in school and notice that statements that say "every" are almost always going to be false?

There are a lot of people who still buy the S12ii for the modern PC, which I say is modern because they are building it in 2017/18, and the power supply works. They run their computer, they can zip files, play games, watch videos. So something is amiss with that statement that anything not DC-DC should be avoided for modern PCs.

Technically a garbage OEM PSU is fine for the typical user. 

It would probably be better to say that group regulated units don't really make sense for anything more than an office level build at this point seeing as there are plenty of good cheap options that aren't group regulated. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A B1 or G1 would be perfectly fine in a FB machine.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 minutes ago, JDE said:

A B1 or G1 would be perfectly fine in a FB machine.

I did say my own system, which has all the hardware pretty heftily OC'd.

But yeah, sure a Facebook machine wouldn't be an issue, it's just that you can usually get better units for the same amount of money.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I did say my own system, which has all the hardware pretty heftily OC'd.

But yeah, sure a Facebook machine wouldn't be an issue, it's just that you can usually get better units for the same amount of money.

Except in places outside America. All you can find in many Eastern European countries for less than 60 Euros (or equivalent) are things like VS, MasterWatt Lite and B1.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

3x0W units and below, yes. That might be possible.

Or in general low power PCs, might be.

But we are talking about gaming PC with 400-550W PSU in most cases. And for those I'd rather not get a group regulated unit...

Hi guys. Please help me to decide, i can't choose between EVGA 650 BG and Corsair CX550M. They are around the same price. In the list the OP wrote that the 2017 CXM is the Tier3, but i can only find the 2015 edition with Grey label, as you can see in the link too. At the time i have an FSP Hexa+ 400W, but it runs on the edge and i want to swap it. The EVGA has 140mm fans, more option because of the more cable and higher wattage, but the Corsair is Tier 3.

Or do you i have any other good options?

Thank you for your help!!

Lecso

58 minutes ago, Lecso said:

Hi guys. Please help me to decide, i can't choose between EVGA 650 BG and Corsair CX550M. They are around the same price. In the list the OP wrote that the 2017 CXM is the Tier3, but i can only find the 2015 edition with Grey label, as you can see in the link too. At the time i have an FSP Hexa+ 400W, but it runs on the edge and i want to swap it. The EVGA has 140mm fans, more option because of the more cable and higher wattage, but the Corsair is Tier 3.

Lecso

The gray label one IS the new version.

There's a "2017 Edition" of just the 750W and 850W and the difference is Infineon MOSFETs throughout and a driver IC on the DC to DC.  Nothing else.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

The gray label one IS the new version.

There's a "2017 Edition" of just the 750W and 850W and the difference is Infineon MOSFETs throughout and a driver IC on the DC to DC.  Nothing else.

In layman terms what those that even mean? I was going for the Corsair HX850 until I saw that bit on "grey-label HX (2017) only being T1" and it threw me off...

8 hours ago, Lecso said:

Lecso

That's the new one.

If the label on the side of the PSU is grey then the unit is from the last couple of years from Corsair.

2 hours ago, hwweiler said:

In layman terms what those that even mean? I was going for the Corsair HX850 until I saw that bit on "grey-label HX (2017) only being T1" and it threw me off...

It means they replaced some shiny metal for some better shiny metal. (in the 2017 CX 750W & 850W)

13 hours ago, Lecso said:

Lecso

CX550M is probably better, but I'm not sure if there are reviews of the BG yet. I'd get the CXM, since there are known reviews and it's trusted.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

5 hours ago, hwweiler said:

HX850 is actually really good, better than the CXM. 

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

2 hours ago, JDE said:

CX550M is probably better, but I'm not sure if there are reviews of the BG yet. I'd get the CXM, since there are known reviews and it's trusted.

It's a BQ and it's average. CX is better.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's a BQ and it's average. CX is better.

@JDE

From the Pictures that one looks like Cougar LX. So somewhat OKish, but nothing special.

Can be decent like the Original or can be a dud, depending on what they've done...

Nothing I'd recommend though. There are other interesting options out there...

19 minutes ago, pcixopat said:

Stupid list where is cougar cmx

ahh yes, one unit out of hundreds of PSUs out there aren't included, thus the list must be shit...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, pcixopat said:

Stupid list where is cougar cmx

In the gutter because its shit, ancient and EOL.

The S(X) and G(X) series are OKish/decent but the SE and most of that Bronze is shit, except for maybe CMD and LX.

Also the new GX-S (x50W) is also pretty good.

https://geizhals.de/?fs=Cougar+CMX&in=

850 and 1000W might be decent.

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me, the opening post doesn't mention how this "tier list" is put together. Who decides whether a PSU is tier 1 or tier 7? How can I verify whether a PSU is really tier 1 quality? IMO every mentioning of a PSU/serie should contain references to tests. Otherwise this whole list could easily be fake.

12 minutes ago, YF2 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me, the opening post doesn't mention how this "tier list" is put together. Who decides whether a PSU is tier 1 or tier 7? How can I verify whether a PSU is really tier 1 quality? IMO every mentioning of a PSU/serie should contain references to tests. Otherwise this whole list could easily be fake.

Reviews are fairly easy to find, that's how these PSUs are tiered.

:)

41 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Reviews are fairly easy to find, that's how these PSUs are tiered.

PSU units can differ, version can differ, reviewers, test setups, environments, etc, all can differ from review to review. Therefore, it's important to know based on what someone is claiming his/her conclusions.

Imagine that medical papers would be published without any literature references. Such papers would immediately be considered worthless/unreliable.

Imagine that in Wikipedia it wouldn't be possible to references statements/claims....

Imagine that everybody would belief what someone is claiming on Twitter, than Trump and the Russians would rule the world.

You shouldn't simply belief someone that says "Product x is the best, Product y is the worst" without any proof or motivation at all.

A PSU expert says that these "tier lists" are worthless, especially the people who belief it. (Now I'm doing the same ;) )

I have a references of this statement, but you probably aren't interested in a reference, because you would belief me straightaway, right? ;)