PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

I wouldn't do 2 1080 Tis on 650W cuz those can draw over 300W

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-gtx-1080-ti-lightning-z,5162-4.html

Two AMD R9-280X aka 7970GHz edition work well with a 650W, even on an FX8350 or i7-3930...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

any info on the Masterwatt lite series of PSUs? they seem extremely affordable, being way way cheaper than CX where i live

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

any info on the Masterwatt lite series of PSUs? they seem extremely affordable, being way way cheaper than CX where i live

They probably are pretty mediocre just judging by the price point. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

They probably are pretty mediocre just judging by the price point. 

I went with one for the budget I was building the system at, looking at the singular, German review, it seemed perfectly passable to me. At half the price of the CX almost it made the budget work a lot better for me. Thanks for the input though :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Masterwatt Lite is the same shit as any other low cost System Integrator Series.
And seem to have rather high fan RPM.

The normal Master Watt without anything is somewhat OKis but too expensive.

The Master Watt MWE, I don't know. Its said that some don't have DC-DC.

I think I missed it guys, why did the EVGA B3 series end up in Tier 5?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

450w unit went blooey when pushed to 580w, other units in the lineup just had overpower protection not work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

450w unit went blooey when pushed to 580w, other units in the lineup just failed overpower protection.

Oh shit! Where were they tested? I wanna see (or read about at least) fireworks!

Edit: looking at the tomshardware reviews now

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Oh shit! Where were they tested? I wanna see (or read about at least) fireworks!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-750-b3-power-supply,5229-11.html didn't work after OPP testing

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-850-b3-psu,5186-11.html same with this

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-b3-psu,5160-11.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Tomshardware

:)

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Tomshardware

8 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Wow, it's really a shame because other than the OPP problem this is one fucked up good PSU. It's like G2 performance on the cheap. And it's not like it's that hard to set a lower OPP point and call it a day :dry:

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Wow, it's really a shame because other than the OPP problem this is one fucked up good PSU. It's like G2 performance on the cheap. And it's not like it's that hard to set a lower OPP point and call it a day :dry:

tomshardware's review did add a note saying the units are superflower now instead of RSY so maybe those might be better, but i often see the corsair CXs cheaper than the B3 so eh

Ahh yes I remember the EVGA response. What was it again? "All our units work under standard conditions" - err, OPP is what saves you when the unit works outside of standard conditions EVGA.

9 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

tomshardware's review did add a note saying the units are superflower now instead of RSY so maybe those might be better, but i often see the corsair CXs cheaper than the B3 so eh

Manufacturer is irrelevant, they are just soldering on the specified PCB with the specified components.

The Problem is that the primary switcher blow up because OPP isn't set correctly.

9 hours ago, Energycore said:

They blow up at overload testings....

Ahh yes I remember the EVGA response. What was it again? "All our units work under standard conditions" - err, OPP is what saves you when the unit works outside of standard conditions EVGA.

Yes, they are right.

And that's why I'm saying that overload/protection tests are the most important with modern PSU because you will find the most differences in this area.

Well I guess I'm upgrading my Thermaltake 700W psu soon. Likely when I get enough money from mining zCash so I could increase efficiency.

On 1/4/2018 at 6:53 AM, herman mcpootis said:

23 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I'll believe it when I see a store bought unit with a lot code NEWER than that statement.

21 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Manufacturer is irrelevant, they are just soldering on the specified PCB with the specified components.

Wow.  That's not true at all.  Condition of wave solder machine?  Condition of solder (proper ratio of elements)?  Temperature of wave solder and/or soldering irons?  QA stations?  Proper ESD measures taken?  Proper load testers?  Proper burn in chambers?  

I've seen both sides of the spectrum come out of the same factory, never mind two different factories.

Of course, the B3 that was reviewed did fail due to design flaw, not lack of quality.  But the difference in build quality between the two is quite obvious.  And who know what's wrong with it that we DON'T see.

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Wow.  That's not true at all. 

Yeah, you are right.

I wasn't precise enough with my language.

Let me rephrase it:

For this issue the manufacturer is irrelevant because manufacturer isn't the issue, choice of components/not working OPP is the real issue here.

Anyone know why a PSU would be causing small and repeated freezes (games or video stops for a split second then continues, with HDMI audio freezing at the same time)? It happens inconsistently, thermals don't seem to be affecting the freezes at all, and its been occurring for the last week.

• Z97 Sabertooth MKII (suddenly failed-in-use onboard audio)
  • i7 4790K (stock+stock cooler)
  • 4x4GB DDR3L 1333
  • 1x SSD
  • 1x 7200RPM HDD
  • GTX 970 G1 Gaming (missing some of the capacitors/resistors off its connector so it runs at x8)
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB
  • Corsair VS650 (around 2-3 years old)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Anyone know why a PSU would be causing small and repeated freezes (games or video stops for a split second then continues, with HDMI audio freezing at the same time)? It happens inconsistently, thermals don't seem to be affecting the freezes at all, and its been occurring for the last week.

• 4x4GB DDR3L 1333
  • 1x SSD
  • 1x 7200RPM HDD
  • GTX 970 G1 Gaming (missing some of the capacitors/resistors off its connector so it runs at x8)
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB

well the corsair VS is shit. t5 or t6 so I would just get a new PSU 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

well the corsair VS is shit. t5 or t6 so I would just get a new PSU 

Well it was replaced at one point with a CX850M...but that's powering an RX 580 in my friends desktop now (which was originally inside one of the old PSU-in-attic cases).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Well it was replaced at one point with a CX850M...but that's powering an RX 580 in my friends desktop now (which was originally inside one of the old PSU-in-attic cases).

I would definitely not power anything worth more than $200 with a VS PSU. It's such a high risk if the bad voltage regulation / ripple starts doing more than just instability.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

• 4x4GB DDR3L 1333
  • 1x SSD
  • 1x 7200RPM HDD
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB

No.  Because the problem is not the PSU.  PSUs, no matter how crappy, don't do that. You have other issues. 

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

• 4x4GB DDR3L 1333
  • 1x SSD
  • 1x 7200RPM HDD
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB

For some reason, when you typed stock+stock cooler, i thought you ment you had 2 stock coolers cooling your 4790k...

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

For some reason, when you typed stock+stock cooler, i thought you ment you had 2 stock coolers cooling your 4790k...

Just one on top of the other with thermal paste xD

Computer Specs:

Spoiler