Armed Robbers Using Pokemon GO to Target Victims in Missouri

Stryder721

So in the wake of Pokemon GO's success, armed robbers in Missouri are now using the app to target victims. The Verge reports that the robbers would use the app to lure unsuspecting people in and rob them at gun point by placing a beacon from within the app. The O'Fallen Missouri Police Department has made a statement on facebook about the whole ordeal. 

" Many of you have heard of Pokemon Go, but for those that have not, it is a type of Geo Caching game where you find and capture Pokemon characters at various locations. If you use this app (or other similar type apps) or have children that do we ask you to please use caution when alerting strangers of your future location." - Taken from the Police Departments Facebook page.

The culprits were able to rob four people all in the age range of 16-18 years of age, and warned people to exercise extreme caution when your giving out personal information or going out. 

The robberies happened at 2 o'clock at night making their car, a black BMW, very hard to spot. Thankfully the handgun was recovered and the Culprits arrested.

" **Many of you have asked how the app was used to rob victims, the way we believe it was used is you can add a beacon to a pokestop to lure more players. Apparently they were using the app to locate ppl standing around in the middle of a parking lot or whatever other location they were in.** " <--Explaining the use of beacons and how it shows the location of players around the beacon. Source: The Police Department's Facebook Statement.

“Using the geolocation feature,” Stringer said, “the robbers were able to anticipate the location and level of seclusion of unwitting victims.” Taken from The Guardian.

The adult suspects were charged with first degree robbery, a felony, and had bond set at $100,000 cash, Stringer said. 

To everyone who uses the app and in general, please be safe! 

Regards Stryder

News Article:http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/10/12142434/pokemon-go-armed-robberies-missouri

Facebook Statement: 

Source 2: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/10/pokemon-go-armed-robbers-dead-body

I am not even surprised. Tbh I'd be surprised if no one did it.

When you have millions of people walking around just focusing on finding a pokemon while not being aware of their suroundings, it's practically calling people to exploit the situation. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

What are you doing in 2am? Who plays at such bloody time. Almost every incident I have seen so far involved with Pokemon go include negligence/risky behaviour from players.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

21 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

What are you doing in 2am? Who plays at such bloody time. Almost every incident I have seen so far involved with Pokemon go include negligence/risky behaviour from players.

Culprits were teenagers...so what are the teenagers doing at 2AM? Apparently committing a crime. 

I can't say much, I'm posting this at almost 4AM...tis the life of an insomniac. 

Fucking America. You are all bat shit craz.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

13 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Culprits were teenagers...so what are the teenagers doing at 2AM? Apparently committing a crime. 

I can't say much, I'm posting this at almost 4AM...tis the life of an insomniac. 

I'm speaking about the victims not the culprits.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Well... being alone in the middle of nowhere at 2AM does ask for trouble. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

54 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You'd be surprised how many adults play it, hell I'd say most of them are adults. 

A decent portion of people from the Gameboy era. A lot of people at my work play.

Pokemon Go leads a lot of people to places where they probably shouldn't be going, including police stations and gang headquarters.

I am sure we were all told the basic rules as kids though

- Don't take candy from strangers

- Don't get in cars with strangers

- Don't go to strange pokestops which have active lure modules

My brother went out playing Pokemon GO yesterday evening, likely very close to where this happened.

lol

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

It's surprising to see the lengths that criminals will go to just to rob someone or commit a crime. I myself catch a lot of Pokemon GO players because people think my yard is a road thanks gps 

2 minutes ago, Stryder721 said:

It's surprising to see the lengths that criminals will go to just to rob someone or commit a crime. I myself catch a lot of Pokemon GO players because people think my yard is a road thanks gps 

the lengths? I mean if anything this simplified the crime not made it more difficult

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

2 hours ago, Suika said:

My brother went out playing Pokemon GO yesterday evening, likely very close to where this happened.

lol

So you will continue to lol, if this happened to your bro.

lol

:|

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This will happen with STRAVA(biking app) too. People will have their rides public and post their bikes to their profiles. People will use the gps info from the rides to find out where people live then go steal their $5k bike.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Gotta catch 'em all.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

There was also a guy who witnessed a murder while streaming. He was super rattled up about it and cut the stream to call the police. The next day has lost his job as an uber driver, cuz of people saying he was streaming during work hours. (he wasn't, btw.)

Everyone should see filthy Frank's video about GO. Surpirsingly accurate.

- snip-

People need to realise that the world hasn't just suddenly changed since Pokemon has come out. Be careful and watch where you are going people!

Eh it has a huge following already, some of the people were bound to get into tough situations.

I'm just waiting for people to wander into less than ideal neighborhoods. It's not the games fault, but purely the user.

For Nintendo's sake I hope this doesn't cast a bad light on the game.

On 2016-07-11 at 2:37 AM, Lethal Seraph said:

Well... being alone in the middle of nowhere at 2AM does ask for trouble. 

But it shouldn't.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red