Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
5 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

More like GG taxes, price-gauging and out-of-stock RX480s.

With tax and every fee it should be €270 at most for the 8GB. One shop has the balls to sell it for €345 ....

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

With tax and every fee it should be €270 at most for the 8GB. One shop has the balls to sell it for €345 ....

300€? 330€ here, and it should be around 270€ with with taxes and stuff.

Gtx 970 are 290€ here

and R9 390 is 330€

The shops take more for AMD cards than Nvidia :(

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

300€? 330€ here, and it should be around 270€ with with taxes and stuff.

Gtx 970 are 290€ here

and R9 390 is 330€

The shops take more for AMD cards than Nvidia :(

I found R9 390 with Sapphire 3 fan Nitro cooler for €290.

Makes no sense to get RX480 at that point instead.

3 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

Look at the 780Ti and r9 290 there.  2013 still kickin ass.  My gtx 770 putting in a respectable showing as well. 

My impulse buy addiction wants to replace my evga 780ti classy. My accountant side reminds me this is more than enough for my 27" 1080p screen. :-( 

Someone come out with a UHD/4K 34" ultra wide monitor so I can spend money like it is going out of style. :)

4 hours ago, Humbug said:

Vulkan results are in

27369819403_f72aee0082_o.png

Damn. Fury does better then I expected! How much are they going for now a days second hand...

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

This is what people were exited about? It is one thing to mock AMD for consistently over-hyping and under-delivering, but this is actually starting to get rather annoying.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

2 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

This is what people were exited about? It is one thing to mock AMD for consistently over-hyping and under-delivering, but this is actually starting to get rather annoying.

Apparently there's a rebellion happening over at AMD Reddit. Not the rebellion AMD PR were hoping for, but a rebellion all the same.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

4 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I don't mind the performance these cards are giving.. it's within expected performance for me.
My problem is the pricing that's happening.
Either AMD is taking too much money from the stores that are selling the cards, or the stores are trying to get a large cut. 
I live in Norway, yes.. expensive country.. I know.. and VAT and all that.. the cheapest RX 480 here. 8GB version, costs 333 USD.

It's brutal to see that it's 100 USD higher than the price AMD was aiming for.

Either AMD has to change their price to retailers, or retailers will have to take a hit. Either way..
It's the same with Nvidia as well.. Way overpriced in my opinion

Main rig:
Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme3 | CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz with Noctua NH-D14 | RAM: HyperX Fury DD4 2133MHz 16GB (4x4GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition | PSU: Corsair AX760i | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (White) | Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Toshiba 3TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Displays: BenQ XL2410T (120Hz) + 1xBenQ G2420HD (60Hz) | Keyboard: CM Storm Rapid I (Brown switches) | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 363D

14 minutes ago, JanFrode said:

I don't mind the performance these cards are giving.. it's within expected performance for me.
My problem is the pricing that's happening.
Either AMD is taking too much money from the stores that are selling the cards, or the stores are trying to get a large cut. 
I live in Norway, yes.. expensive country.. I know.. and VAT and all that.. the cheapest RX 480 here. 8GB version, costs 333 USD.

It's brutal to see that it's 100 USD higher than the price AMD was aiming for.

Either AMD has to change their price to retailers, or retailers will have to take a hit. Either way..
It's the same with Nvidia as well.. Way overpriced in my opinion

AMD has said what the price was going to be for weeks now and they are doing exactly what they said. YOUR retailors are the ones you need to talk to.

Nope, AMD didn't lie about anything, even about the 4GB 480 having a memory clock of 7Ghz. That little detail seems to be omitted from just about everything. but they didn't lie about it lol.

600x.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

You've failed me, AMD. This had to land between the 970 & 980 in terms of performance, but instead it under performs the 970 in most games. 

Nice to see so many reviews. While I never intended to buy this card cause I have R9 290 and with 1150Mhz OC it gets a quite a solid boost :D 
Now to actually look forward to Vega ^^

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So now that the benches is out and the hype has settled down what type of boost is this from my MSI GTX 960 2GB? I've been looking for a good card to upgrade to for quite some time but I haven't found anything that really makes me wanna jump other than the 1070 but for the price I think AMD when given the chance could do better but maybe not. One thing I love about the GTX 1070 is that it uses less power than my 960 so I wouldn't even have to change out my 650w PSU. I would however have to buy another monitor but I need a new one anyway (Mine is so old it doesn't have flicker free technology but I bought it for 30 bucks and its Full HD so idc atm)

So what am I look at if I did decide to cheap out and buy a 480? Is it worth it or nah? 50% increase? Less? More?

10 hours ago, A/C said:

I don't see how people with 970s and 390s would suddenly want to "downgrade" to a lower tier. 

That was never the intention of AMD... AMD's intention was to bring VR capability to the x80 bracket which they did, in fact I would go as far as saying that they probably did for the x70 too. Now it's not going to be buttersmooth on a 470 but it should score high enough on the Vive test to get classified as capable 

So in final analysis... RX 480... almost as good as a 970 in DX11 and slightly better in Vulkan & DX12. With the larger 8GB VRAM it's actually a very good deal for 1080p with good future proofing. Would I buy one? Not a reference one... hell no... I don't want to melt my motherboard.

I'm having more hope for the AIB versions sorting out the initial teething issues.

So all in all, I reckon it's done what it set out to do. Unlike all the fanboy hype that's been pushing it way beyond it's actual performance.

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'M DYING. LMFAO HEY GUYS IT'S ON PAR WITH 980!!!! HAHAHAHAHA WHERE YOU ALL AT NOW? Oh it's worse than a 970? LMFAO crying. wait but guys 2x 480 is BETTER THAN THE 1080 LMAO!!! What a dissapointment. Pathetic infact. AMD seriously?

3 hours ago, Zaryabzww said:

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'M DYING. LMFAO HEY GUYS IT'S ON PAR WITH 980!!!! HAHAHAHAHA WHERE YOU ALL AT NOW? Oh it's worse than a 970? LMFAO crying. wait but guys 2x 480 is BETTER THAN THE 1080 LMAO!!! What a dissapointment. Pathetic infact. AMD seriously?

You made an account just to get a response out of people didn't you? Good for you if it keeps you occupied.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

It'll be interesting to see what can be done on 3rd party cards with better cooling solutions, VRMs, and at least an 8pin. 

6 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

It'll be interesting to see what can be done on 3rd party cards with better cooling solutions, VRMs, and at least an 8pin. 

This is what I was wanting to see, just have to wait.

7 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

That's what I'm holding out for.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

3 hours ago, Zaryabzww said:

AMD never stated it was on par with a 980, and it is almost 1 fps difference from a 970 in most games. 

Also.. cut down on the laughter, it's kinda annoying. 

Please don't react to flamers and trolls on this forum you feed them like that and there are too many of them here as it is.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Im somewhat happy and sad. Happy that my R9 nano is still good and sad that the RX480 was a let down. not by much though. :) 

10 hours ago, Wolther said:

AMD never stated it was on par with a 980, and it is almost 1 fps difference from a 970 in most games. 

Also.. cut down on the laughter, it's kinda annoying. 

If you want actual numbers well the 970 sc acs 2.0 boost clock is 1178mhz okay? If you OC to a very reasonable 1500mhz thats a 27% increase in clock = 27% increase in performance. Someone should try that 1500mhz 970 with a whats the max 480s are getting 1300mhz? LOL

39 minutes ago, Zaryabzww said:

If you want actual numbers well the 970 sc acs 2.0 boost clock is 1178mhz okay? If you OC to a very reasonable 1500mhz thats a 27% increase in clock = 27% increase in performance. Someone should try that 1500mhz 970 with a whats the max 480s are getting 1300mhz? LOL

Kyle Bennett over at HardOCP is reporting that AIB RX 480s are allegedly reaching 1480-1600MHz. We won't know the RX 480's full overclocking potential until custom models emerge. For now, basing the overclocking ability of the RX 480 on the reference model is pretty ignorant.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder