Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
2 minutes ago, A/C said:

So I was just reading TTL's review over at OC3D and found that it's conclusion could be applied to some members of this thread :D

The problem is that his conclusion does not seem to take the GTX 970 price drop into consideration. In the UK you can get an Asus Strix GTX 970 for 209 pounds.

The 8GB 480 is more expensive but performs roughly the same. Why should anyone be impressed that a brand new cards matches the price:performance of a card released 1.5 years ago?

3 minutes ago, A/C said:

So I was just reading TTL's review over at OC3D and found that it's conclusion could be applied to some members of this thread :D

you can get a GTX970 for ~270$: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 600536049&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

that's AMD's problem

most people are comparing RX480 price with the old GTX970 launch price and they forget / blatantly ignore what's actually on the market

The 480 just appeared on local webstores (Finland). It costs exactly the same as a GTX970 (comparing cheapest of both), so there's absolutely no point in buying the 480 if you're from Finland. Such a shame too, was really rooting for team red.

26 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I think we're thinking about it wrong. It's not ment to be an upgrade from any of those, it's ment to be a good first card for new builders.

That is true, It's a good budget card, the problem is that the hype was strong, and based on lies, some of which wasn't AMD's (wccftech) fault but some of it (xfire 1080 comparison) clearly was

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Engarde:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,17.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,18.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,19.html

There's more benchmarks, but too much traffic on the site and makes switching between them painful on my internet. The 480 is either keeping pace with the 390x, or beating out the 970 in their tests. And last i checked, the 970 wasn't nearly as great in 4k.

2 minutes ago, Notn4 said:

The 480 just appeared on local webstores (Finland). It costs exactly the same as a GTX970 (comparing cheapest of both), so there's absolutely no point in buying the 480 if you're from Finland. Such a shame too, was really rooting for team red.

Except there is. Would you be buying a last gen card with over half the VRAM missing at a much higher power draw when you can get a new gen card that will only get better over time?

This isn't for upgraders. This is for new system builders with new systems.

Ye ole' train

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The problem is that his conclusion does not seem to take the GTX 970 price drop into consideration. In the UK you can get an Asus Strix GTX 970 for 209 pounds.

The 8GB 480 is more expensive but performs roughly the same. Why should anyone be impressed that a brand new cards matches the price:performance of a card released 1.5 years ago?

Buy out the 970 and you won't be able to get one anymore. Also, it's posible that at that price they're losing money, but I don't know enough, but if they aren't they were screwing customers over with old prices BIG TIME. It's not produced anymore and the reduced price is there only for the litteral clearance sale IMHO. 

Right now the 970 presents a great deal, sure. But what will happen when it's not available anymore? Also,  it was released 1.5 years ago, yes, but with a totally different price, and like I said this is a clearance sale for the 970, and I feel that's in part because of the 480. It wouldn't make any sense to keep seeling the 970  at it's standard price, so they stopped producing it and are selling out the stock, rather than keep prodicing it and rebadging the 970 as a 1060.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

you mean UHD

and sorry, but UHD isn't a thing on these cards, maybe if we'd talk GTX1080 and up

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you can get a GTX970 for ~270$: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 600536049&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

that's AMD's problem

most people are comparing RX480 price with the old GTX970 launch price and they forget / blatantly ignore what's actually on the market

If there's a $200 480 (4gb) and a $270 970 (4gb) and they perform roughly the same, people will obviously buy the former. Of course, better aftermarket 4gb 480's will be slightly more expensive but the point still stands. 

Essentially, if you're in the US, you're much better off getting the 480. Same applies here in Australia, the 4gb 480 is $100+ AUD cheaper than a 970. The story in Europe seems to be different though 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

That is true, It's a good budget card, the problem is that the hype was strong, and based on lies, so of which wasn't AMD's fault but some of it (xfire 1080 comparison) clearly was

Well, technically with AOTS being very AMD favored, and Xfire being quite good, it did technically do better than a 1080. I don't think they actually ever out right said 2 will do better than the 1080, just that it can.

14 minutes ago, A/C said:

Re 1: How is it impressive? Every new generation (not just numerical jump of rebrands mind you) we see cards perform pretty much 1 tier above the previous gen: 480 = 390, 760 = 670, etc. If anything the jump was  predictable for AMD who pretty much just went up a tier vs the 1070 that went up 2 tiers replacing the 980ti instead of the 980

Re 2. 83c temps. Junk cooler. How is that impressive?

Re 3: A very efficient card that uses about the same power and temps as a 1070 that sits Two tiers above in performance for the same heat and power. How is that impressive?

No, we are actually giving sufficently sound arguments, he's the one being biased.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

But you can buy a 970 for pretty much exactly the same price and it looks like the 970 is a much better overclocker.

3 minutes ago, A/C said:

Buy out the 970 and you won't be able to get one anymore. Also, it's posible that at that price they're losing money, but I don't know enough, but if they aren't they were screwing customers over with old prices BIG TIME. It's not produced anymore and the reduced price is there only for the litteral clearance sale IMHO. 

Right now the 970 presents a great deal, sure. But what will happen when it's not available anymore? Also,  it was released 1.5 years ago, yes, but with a totally different price, and like I said this is a clearance sale for the 970, and I feel that's in part because of the 480. It wouldn't make any sense to keep seeling the 970  at it's standard price, so they stopped producing it and are selling out the stock, rather than keep prodicing it and rebadging the 970 as a 1060.

We can't judge the overclocking potential of the 480 until we get aftermarket designs IMHO.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

you mean UHD

and sorry, but UHD isn't a thing on these cards, maybe if we'd talk GTX1080 and up

My bad, watched Austin's review on the 480 earlier. And it's perfectly possible, turn down the AA and setting to like Med. or so, and it'll get very respectable frame rates for a $200 card.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

turn down the AA and setting to like Med. or so, and it'll get very respectable frame rates

huh!?

this perf bracket has issues with games at 1440p and you're talking UHD .............

people that want to play at UHD resolutions go for UHD monitors, aren't cheap, and respectable video cards, aren't cheap wither - and quite possibly SLI setups

RX480 for UHD ... doesn't fit

2 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

This is true but based on what is available right now the 480 is not looking so impressive.

Well right now the 480 isn't available to me, but I'm still gonna look into it when I upgrade:)

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Re 1: How is it impressive? Every new generation (not just numerical jump of rebrands mind you) we see cards perform pretty much 1 tier above the previous gen: 480 = 390, 760 = 670, etc. If anything the jump was  predictable for AMD who pretty much just went up a tier vs the 1070 that went up 2 tiers replacing the 980ti instead of the 980

Re 2. 83c temps. Junk cooler. How is that impressive?

Re 3: A very efficient card that uses about the same power and temps as a 1070 that sits Two tiers above it's performance for the same heat and power. How is that impressive?

No, we are actually giving sufficently sound arguments, he's the one being biased.

Re 1: Last i checked, the 1070 was also almost 2x more expensive.

Re 2: The fact that it was the ref. cooler? And that the 1080 did throttle with it's.

Re 3: Again, about 2x more expensive dude.

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Except there is. Would you be buying a last gen card with over half the VRAM missing at a much higher power draw when you can get a new gen card that will only get better over time?

This isn't for upgraders. This is for new system builders with new systems.

Yeah I see your point but I'm still very disappointed, with both performance and price (the 480 costs 309.94USD here), guess I just let the hype get to me.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Considering how badly the pound have been dropping, it may have been responsible for the higher Rx 480 prices.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

huh!?

this perf bracket has issues with games at 1440p and you're talking UHD .............

At max./ultra settings. Turn down to med. or such and no more problems.

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

That is true, It's a good budget card, the problem is that the hype was strong, and based on lies, so of which wasn't AMD's fault but some of it (xfire 1080 comparison) clearly was

I think the bigger problem is that the 390 and 970 have dropped so much in price that they match the price:performance of this so called "value king" these days.

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Engarde:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,17.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,18.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,19.html

There's more benchmarks, but too much traffic on the site and makes switching between them painful on my internet. The 480 is either keeping pace with the 390x, or beating out the 970 in their tests. And last i checked, the 970 wasn't nearly as great in 4k.

Guru3D is an outlier. You need to use more than one source.

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Considering how badly the pound have been dropping, it may have been responsible for the higher Rx 480 prices.

Nope, can't blame it on the pound.

It is the same in countries which uses the Euro and Kronor too. Also, if it was the pound then the Nvidia cards would have been affected too, which they aren't.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

At max./ultra settings. Turn down to med. or such and no more problems.

min framerate matters, frametimes matter

So, an RX 480 is less powerful than a GTX 970, both stock and when overclocked?

Maybe AMD didn't realize that it's 2016 and not 2014. Nobody should be fooled by AMD's comment that they see the RX 480 as lasting for the next 3 - 4 years... that remark only shows that AMD has lost its mind. The RX 480 will be struggling to perform 1080p maxed settings within a year. There already are games a 970 can't max at 1080p with 60 FPS.

I think the RX 480 should be cheaper, $200 max for a decent aftermarket 8GB version. The GTX 970 was already getting close to the $250 range, and the previous generation's cards are long-overdue for a price drop, a bigger one than the RX 480 is causing. That price drop should be happening due to the new generation being more powerful, and not from it being less powerful and being priced beneath it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Nope, can't blame it on the pound.

It is the same in countries which uses the Euro and Kronor too. Also, if it was the pound then the Nvidia cards would have been affected too, which they aren't.

The 970 stock would have been imported way long ago when the rates weren't so bad. So, unless these 970 are newly imported they shouldn't be affected.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Re 1: Last i checked, the 1070 was also almost 2x more expensive.

Re 2: The fact that it was the ref. cooler? And that the 1080 did throttle with it's.

Re 3: Again, about 2x more expensive dude.

Re 1: Get your Straw man out of here: we're talking tiers if the card is 2 tiers above it's obviously gonna be priced well above. Please read carefully: Price is 100% irrelevant to this point I made

Re 2: If we're getting the same junk cooler on the 1080 that doubles the performance for the same temps and watts, it's a lot more justifiable. In other words: I'd like to see Vega basically double Pascal performance without barely increasing wattage at all. But we know that's just not going to fucking happen.

Re 3: See Re 1. Price has nothing to do with power efficiency you're being intellectually dshonest by even bringing it up.

-------

Current Rig

-------

All as expected, nothing to see here, lets move on.

Nice joke zMeul... unfortunately it's also a lie seeing as just YESTERDAY you said it was going to perform around a 970. It does and you're still disappointed? You're getting so boring and predictable...

On to Vega and Zen, the only things from AMD that are really going to matter. As long as they are good this doesn't matter.

I have no signature