Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Please note it says suggested. Rarely is it followed.

Well, I really hope some vendor really follow it.

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

do you understand what MSRP means? Suggested -_-

Yes, I know. But why nobody can sell it at MSRP price? I believe on MSRP they still can get good profit from it.

Don't really know about GPU market, but seems most of other product can follow MSRP quite well.

If nobody can follow the MSRP, then the MSRP provided by NVIDIA is practically unfeasible, and they probably sucks at math. 

4 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

Yes, I know. But why nobody can sell it at MSRP price? I believe on MSRP they still can get good profit from it.

"can" and "will" are two diff things - no one is forcing AIBs to follow MSRP, especially not nVidia

people are buying the 10 series like fucking hot cake - there are reports from AIBs that the 10 series is the fastest and most sold series launched ever in the history of video cards

why would they stop charging premium if people are willing to pay :ph34r:

Well , here in Croatia , the XFX RX480 8GB with the backplate retails for 3000 kunas ( 442USD ) or currently on sale for 2630 kunas ( 387USD ) .

I have a 390 Nitro so im not interested in upgrading ,at least for some time , but still kinda sad to see how the prices got jacked up . 

Also a sidequestion : Are older GPUs going to be able to use WattMan aswell ? 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Have a feeling the GTX 1060 gonna demolish this card. Even if a bit more expensive it would be worth it at this price point. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

And so it starts

ASUS-ROG-STRIX-RX-480.jpg

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

And so it starts

ASUS-ROG-STRIX-RX-480.jpg

Too bad Asus is more interested in RGB than Quality Control on their GPUs lately.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Too bad Asus is more interested in RGB than Quality Control on their GPUs lately.

I never understood the RGB addiction, from manufacturers and consumers both. I'd say it's getting too much attention but that's only me it seems.

9 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Have a feeling the GTX 1060 gonna demolish this card. Even if a bit more expensive it would be worth it at this price point. 

I pray they charge an extra $70 for a card that's the same level.

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Who needs QC when you have the speed of 16.7million colors? 

16.7 million colors * 300 million meters/second = 5 quadrillion color-meters/second. Who can beat that? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

48 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And now let's look forward to seeing the same people make the same mistake with Zen. 

I am going to set my expectations that Zen is literally made out of shit, and will burn my house down when plugged in. Let's see if AMD manages to exceed or at the very least match my expectations this time... I do the see how they could underwhelm me with expectations like that but I wouldn't be surprised... 

It can't be worse than FX 9590. Good end point for the hype train.  

1 hour ago, Starelementpoke said:

My bad then, didn't follow it too closely after the launch. But does it still sound like a jet engine?

No, it's a fair bit quieter than the Titan X.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

Well i'm using an R9 290 and still crank my settings up at 1080p and play very smoothly.

RX 480 4GB is faster than my GPU. So for many buyers they will decide that at $200 this allows them to fully enjoy their PC gaming experience, and spending more money for a higher tier GPU does not allow them to really have much more enjoyment as a gamer. That's the mainstream mindset when buying a GPU and it makes sense.

I prefer peace of mind, knowing I can max out anything and everything for less than $400.00

Apparently, AIB cards can hit high clocks

AIB partners are reporting to me this morning that with extremely good custom air coolers the 480 GPUs are seeing from 1480MHz to 1600MHz clocks, but tell me it is a "lottery draw" on GPUs.

From Hardcop chief editor 

https://hardforum.com/threads/first-gaming-benchmarks-up.1903628/#post-1042385515

I am slightly disappointed of the RX 480 performance so far. I was expecting it to be 390/970 level of performance most of the time, but it loses to those more than it ties or wins. Maybe the non-reference boards and future drivers can push it there. The prices in Finland are also about 50 euros higher than I was hoping for.

1 minute ago, Verne said:

I am slightly disappointed of the RX 480 performance so far. I was expecting it to be 390/970 level of performance most of the time, but it loses to those more than it ties or wins. Maybe the non-reference boards and future drivers can push it there. The prices in Finland are also about 50 euros higher than I was hoping for.

This thing in the Netherlands costs about €270-300. That's $300-330. $100 more expensive than what's being sold over in the US for the same damn thing.

Taxes here fuck consumers in the ass, hard.

Ye ole' train

17 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

I prefer peace of mind, knowing I can max out anything and everything for less than $400.00

How can you do that?  Find me a 1070 for less than $400.

On the 480, it performs exactly as advertised. Maybe not as hyped, but exactly as advertised. 970/390 level with the possibility of 390x/980 with a good overclock.  I'll wait to see what custom cooling/oc'ing solutions will be out and replace my 770 with the one that performs best. I'll be at 1080p, so probably will get the 4gb, especially since I'll most likely get a 1080ti/490x/2fast2FURYous in q1 2017 and give my wife the 480. 

This is what you blokes get for expecting a GTX 980 killer for $200. For it to sit right below the R9 390 is actually fucking impressive considering the budget and what it is.

Personally, I think it's not bad, but the thermal issues need to be sorted out.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Not surprised, but that's not to say I'm not disappointed. 

Really no better than a rebadge with a clock bump thanks to the new process node.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

25 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

I know what you're saying since I purchased an r9 290 couple of years ago. My next GPU will also probably be high end.

was simply reflecting the fact that you don't 'need' such GPUs to get a smooth and good looking pc gaming experience at 1080p. Even in AAA games and the ones which people complain about it is often just a couple of graphical settings which are causing the performance hit and dropping just those from ultra to high restores smoothness with very little visible difference.The mindset for somebody buying a $200 GPU is that this is a tool to experience pc games. Not about bragging rights or 3d mark scores for them.

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Vulkan results are in

27369819403_f72aee0082_o.png

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=11

As expected for AMD graphics cards relative performance is better when using modern highly parallel APIs like Vulkan and DX12.

Look at the 780Ti and r9 290 there.  2013 still kickin ass.  My gtx 770 putting in a respectable showing as well. 

9 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Look at the 780Ti and r9 290 there.  2013 still kickin ass.  My gtx 770 putting in a respectable showing as well. 

Yep surprisingly good for the 770. Considering this is 4K with a particularly busy time-demo.

Also check out the R9 Fury beating the Titan X. Only in Vulkan and DX12 will you see that. It's not even a Fury X.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

RX 480 €300

GTX 970 €270

GG e-shops

More like GG taxes, price-gauging and out-of-stock RX480s.

Ye ole' train