Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive

I'm not buying a new gpu right away, thank god. I'll wait a few weeks and see what's up.

7 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

It's funny how they said the hype was real on that LTT vid but they don't understand that the hype was 390+ performance not sub to equal 970 performance

The 390 and the 970 are in the same performance category...

28 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Nvidia gimps hardware? Tell that to my 780 which is still going strong.

On the same level as my 280x, so yeah, somewhat strong.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

I'm not buying a new gpu right away, thank god. I'll wait a few weeks and see what's up.

The 390 and the 970 are in the same performance category...

Yes but the 390 was slightly better in 1440, which is what they were testing in the LTT vid, so if the 480 is less than a 970 in 1440 then it is a disappointing relative to the hype which put it between a 390 and 390x, and AMD's 2 480 xfire =1080 like hell it does.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Been watching the reviews and it's like they all got together to tell zmuel and aluminum to suck it..

Sad day for nvida fanboys and AMD Haters

JayZ calls it "The little Beast"

I don't see how people with 970s and 390s would suddenly want to "downgrade" to a lower tier. the logic is simple: 290 was replaced by 390, 390 will be replaced by 490.

Why do people suddenly expect 480 to replace the 390? It was never supposed to. It was supposed to replace 380, hence the *80 moniker. It's the natural order of things with AMD. If anything Nvidia maybe skipped that order of things with the 1080 where it replaced even the 980, 980ti and the Titan X.

At least they didn't do another "rebadge". But tiers exist for a reason, and shouldn't be mixed.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Yes, compare a reference RX 480 with an aftermarket 970 with 11.8+% factory OC. GJ tech of tmr!

I'd wait until aftermarket RX 480 are out before judging them.

1 minute ago, crystal6tak said:

Yes, compare a reference RX 480 with an aftermarket 970 with 11.8+% factory OC. GJ tech of tmr!

1060 will be out then, so it will be aftermarket 480 vs. reference 1060.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Where is AdoredTV? 

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

2 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Now I am in a quandary... Do I wait for the RX 490???

4 minutes ago, A/C said:

I don't see how people with 970s and 390s would suddenly want to "downgrade" to a lower tier. Logic is simple 290 was prelaced by 390, 390 will be replaced by 490.

Why do people suddenly expect 480 to replace the 390? It was never supposed to. It was supposed to replace 380, hence the *80 moniker. It's the natural order of things with AMD. If anything Nvidia maybe skipped that order of things with the 1080 where it replaced even the 980, 980ti and the Titan X.

At least they didn't do another "rebadge".

I think we're thinking about it wrong. It's not ment to be an upgrade from any of those, it's ment to be a good first card for new builders.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Good, secretly I hope AMD gets some good publicity they so desperately need.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

1 minute ago, lightningterror said:

Where is AdoredTV? 

hiding from the pitchforks and torches.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

And then the cycle shall repeat.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I think we're thinking about it wrong. It's not ment to be an upgrade from any of those, it's ment to be a good first card for new builders.

Good point. But still, I had the need to tell the people not to mix tiers with back-to-back  generations.

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't see how I could have responded to your post in any other way.

zMeul: "Ashes is AMD biased"

You: "Oh so I guess all DX12 games are AMD biased now? RIP logic!"

Me: "Just because one DX12 game is biased towards AMD doesn't mean all DX12 games are"

You: "Wow I cringed at your comment. Don't make yourself look like a fool!"

Who is the cringy one here?

Want a life lesson? Calling others kids only makes you sound like a 15 year old who is proud that he is older than 12 year olds.

So you still don't get it and rage out like a foolish kid that you are.. Basically the answer lays in your modified conversation recap. Anyways, I'm out. 

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

1 minute ago, FatalityDiablo said:

So you still don't get it and rage out like a foolish kid that you are.. Basically the answer lays in your modified conversation recap. Anyways, I'm out. 

Take your fight somewhere else please. You're not helping.

Eh, watching some reviews, as of launch I'm a bit disappointed. Didn't quite reach the 980 mark like everyone was hoping for, but that's more user error than AMD's. $200ish, rocks 1080p, does well at 1440p, and can handle 4k without AA and such, not to mention it is capable of VR, it's actually not bad. It's not ment to be an upgrade in any sense, but an amazing first card for new PC builders.   

31 minutes ago, A/C said:

WTF!?!?!

as i said pages ago, people measured the RX480 power draw to be near 170W - that's close to GTX1080 that is miles in better pef over it

GloFo's (Samsung's actually) 14nm LPP FinFET process node is a very very big issue for AMD

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Eh, watching some reviews, as of launch I'm a bit disappointed. Didn't quite reach the 980 mark like everyone was hoping for, but that's more user error than AMD's. $200ish, rocks 1080p, does well at 1440p, and can handle 4k without AA and such, not to mention it is capable of VR, it's actually not bad. It's not ment to be an upgrade in any sense, but an amazing first card for new PC builders.   

Somebody pointed out the drivers weren't mature yet. And I suspect they're right. I'm not justifying what AMD did rather pointing out that this is a new process node and a new architecture, and it may need some further software develeopment. Here's hoping at least.

RX480 will be my first card. I'll be getting the aftermarket ones on august. AMD please be good to me and don't give me issues with your drivers. :)

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

as i said pages ago, people measured the RX480 power draw to be near 170W - that's close to GTX1080 that miles in better pef over it

GloFo's (Samsung's actually) 14nm LPP FinFET process node is a very very big issue for AMD

Considering that's halfish to how much the 390 consumed, which this card hovers around, I'm not too surprised. 2x performance per watt. That's what the whole die shrink was about.

5 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Considering that's halfish to how much the 390 consumed, which this card hovers around, I'm not too surprised. 2x performance per watt. That's what the whole die shrink was about.

the problem is RX480 isn't a R9 390 die shrink at all - it's chopped GCN 1.4 that performs worse than GCN 1.1

and keep in mind 390 is just a rebranded 290, a ~3y old GPU

RX480 has higher core clocks, higher VRAM clocks and performs worse - go figgure

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the problem is RX480 isn't a R9 390 die shrink at all - it's chopped GCN 1.4 that performs worse than GCN 1.1

and keep in mind 390 is just a rebranded 290, a ~3y old GPU

How does it perform worse than the 390? Some games yes. But in other games that were more Nvidia, it did better than the 390.

So I was just reading TTL's review over at OC3D and found that it's conclusion could be applied to some members of this thread :D

If you are one of the ignorant people who just glances at the graphs for the highlighted result and treats that as the entirety of knowledge, then you'll be missing a stunning card at a seriously affordable price. No, of course it doesn't match up to the capabilities of some of the heavy hitting high-end models, but it's not remotely competing with them. It's a £200 card. Regularly beating a GTX 970 levels of performance for a couple of hundred notes. If that doesn't impress you then you need to check your jimmies for rustling.