Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It doesn't matter that the 390 and 970 were more expensive when they launched. What matters is what they cost right now.

Agreed, I just noticed the 390X Nitro dropped in price again, and is currently £359 where I usually buy. The XFX 8GB 480 was briefly listed at £239.

If the other reviews show similar performance as the video, the 480 is dead in the water on launch.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

10 minutes ago, Noolz said:

Maybe compare it against it's predecessor, the 380? Oh, no wait, that wouldn't make sense right?

comparing it with the R9 380X is actually a valid point, they even have a similar price point

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

Crash and burn AMD fans, you cant hide behind the nda anymore!!!????? burn baby burn

lol when did this forum become so sided.. instead of all of us being tech enthusiasts, it's a competition to bag out opposing GPU vendors. 

We need competition and good performing cards

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

So once they show the same numbers would you retract that?  Or is he a bad reviewer regardless? 

If I know fanboys right, they will search far and low for one review that agrees with them. That review will be the only "good" one. All reviews that disagrees with them will be "bad".

Elric is bad though. He is very ignorant when it comes to computers, and basically just reads the script companies hands him.

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

he made his bias against AMD perfectly clear in the past and the way he ran the benchmarks is less than professional.

Ehm... Elric has never been known as having negative bias against AMD GPUs. If anything he is known for being pro AMD GPUs. If you search "techoftomorrow amd bias" you will find a bunch of people saying he is pro AMD GPUs, calling him an AMD shill.

The cards were briefly on NewEgg. XFX was the only company with 2 cards - one $239 and an OC (I don't really remember but I think) $269.

1 hour ago, Kobz360 said:

lol when did this forum become so sided.. instead of all of us being tech enthusiasts, it's a competition to bag out opposing GPU vendors. 

We need competition and good performing cards

You can never understand the reasons with fanboys and haters.

10 hours ago, yoyo334 said:

The cards were briefly on NewEgg. XFX was the only company with 2 cards - one $239 and an OC (I don't really remember but I think) $269.

USD btw

Well we've got 40 minutes until we figure out if AMD is doomed or if Elric had an awful review sample.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Cause VR games are crap. Yes I know immersive experience and all that means they can be lower detail but as a test for a gpu? Dogshit. 

I don't think that's entirely fair. For general gaming performance a 480 could be around a 390 while it could perform significantly better than a 390 in VR through software magic. I'm not saying that's the case nor do I care about VR, but that's something else entirely. I think it's important for it to be reviewed relative to what its going to be used for.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

My birthday was yesterday, glad I decided on waiting for Vega instead of not getting a present until today (present being the RX 480). Kind of disappointing, but then again what do ya expect for $200?

I'm still failing to understand this thread. So this card is a fail since it's not an R9 Nano? I think this kind of performance for $200 is pretty outstanding myself. Think back to previous launches in this price range. GTX 960, R9 285, R9 380: none of those were very good 1080p cards even at launch. The R9 480 is an outstanding 1080p card based on this review. Though with the caveat that I'm expecting there to not be a difference between the 4GB and 8GB versions at 1080p (4GB is a huge amount of VRAM for 1080p).

last week: "wait for drivers"

Yesterday: "wait for real reviews"

Today: "wait for good reviewers"

I'm not one to throw insults around, but are people that <removed>?

Let me look at my crystal ball.

Tomorrow: "wait for driver updates"

AMD delivered exactly what they promised. No reason to be in denial.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

will be quite hilarious in couple of weeks when nVidia will release (paper launch) their GTX1060 with the same bull crap MSRP / FE prices and still shoving a big steaming pile of turd all over AMD

"Polaris 10 will raise AMD's dGPU market share" they said ... no, it won't! -_-

---

don't quote me on it, but I totally expect the GTX1060 to be a 100-130W card with GTX970 perf for ~300$

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Correction: "Tomorrow: "wait for Vega/1060" :D

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Someone is sad that he didn't get 2 480s for the price of his 970

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

If this was disappointed, maybe the 490 will be better, it's listed on AMD website. Maybe it's a typo. 

http://videocardz.com/61587/amd-radeon-rx-490-listed-on-amd-website

I just posted this pic on the forum.

1st one should be me! rip

nah. jk

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, yoyo334 said:

Someone is sad that he didn't get 2 480s for the price of his 970

as someone who has dealt with crossfire in recent years, I believe no one should ever be sad they didn't get 2 cards.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

AMD delivered exactly what they promised. No reason to be in denial.

wait for reviews that don't break NDA for more views, say what driver they use and go into detail on their test methodology.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

I tried to watch the video but that guy sounded too much like an old car reseller in those shitty tv spot, I had to stop after about 20 seconds. I'll wait for LTT's video. Also that guy's in trouble. I thought the NDA lifted at 9 am EST? He's almost 2 hours ahead of time.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

150W, but, some spanish (I think) reviewers actually measured the power draw to be quite near 170W - and that puts in GTX970 AIB territory

Powerdraw is higher when you increase power limit :o

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

First 'legitimate' benchmark although I always thought he had a bias towards AMD. Will update as they get released.

Tech of Tomorrow

Thoughts: When I die, I want AMD to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time. This is disappointing to say the least. A 1.5% overclock made the card go from 83C to 91C!

In my honest opinion, the hype was too much and the card ended up falling flat of most expectations. Is it good value? Yes, it's still quite solid. Was it the game changing card everyone expected? No.

Sorry AMD, but that's a big letdown in my book.

So when the 1080 Clocks up, starts over heating, and throttles, everyone says wait for aftermarket cooler. When the 480 does it however, on a overclock, everyone loses their shit saying how bad it is?

I still have no idea how AMD fanboys were expecting a beast of a card out of this one.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

will be quite hilarious in couple of weeks when nVidia will release (paper launch) their GTX1060 with the same bull crap MSRP / FE prices and still shoving a big steaming pile of turd all over AMD

"Polaris 10 will raise AMD's dGPU market share" they said ... no, it won't! -_-

---

don't quote me on it, but I totally expect the GTX1060 to be a 100-130W card with GTX970 perf for ~300$

I'm quoting you on this.

3 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

I tried to watch the video but that guy sounded too much like an old car reseller in those shitty tv spot, I had to stop after about 20 seconds. I'll wait for LTT's video.

No, wait for a good review instead, a written one, where they list the driver version used, the fan profile, fan speeds, fan noise, OC vs no OC, etc.  HardwareCanucks, Anandtech, PCPer

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I'm quoting you on this.

ok, but I expect a cigar if I'm right ;)