Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That could be your cpu slowing you down in Novigrad. 1080p max pretty much needs a 980 Ti in Witcher 3, that game just chews up gpus. I have to do a lot of settings tweaking with my 970 to maintain a relatively smooth 60 fps, and it still dips into the 50s a lot.

Right, so we agree: not murder just decent 1080p. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Right let's just wait for everyone to post the exact same results except some BS numbers from Logan at tek syndicate that nobody will be able to reproduce. 

We've been down this road before you know... 

Just one more hour, just one more hour. :)

5 minutes ago, raphidy said:

depending on efficiency

let me put it into perspective for you

• RX480 power draw ~170W (measured); 14nm process
  • GTX1080 power draw ~180W (measured); 16nm process

efficiency ?!?! where o.O

4 minutes ago, raphidy said:

No, well don't really care, 6 pin vs 6 pins +8 is still better for around the same perf. Less current in, less heat out depending on efficiency. Definitely less current in as it's not coming with 8 pins add on.

Except we have superb coolers for 390s and 970s vs that reference blower junk. 

The power efficiency doesn't matters really if there is no aftermarket coolers yet. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

let me put it into perspective for you

• RX480 power draw ~170W (measured); 14nm process
  • GTX1080 power draw ~180W (measured); 16nm process

efficiency .. where?!

Dude, my context is upgrading/sidegrading from 390. Don't have the budget for a 900cad card mate. I like performance, but my wallet can't deal with it.

1 hour ago, raphidy said:

And then, wait for Vega...

You're killing me. :)

The number of people straight on hating is unbelievable. There is so many good points on why we got this review. We should wait for an actual good reviewer who knows what they are doing.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

8 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Dude, my context is upgrading/sidegrading from 390. Don't have the budget for a 900cad card mate. I like performance, but my wallet can't deal with it.

it wasn't about the price, it was about what you pay for and what you let go - I wouldn't've made that decision

the RX480 reference is a bad investment, I'd wait for AIB cards

let me add one more thing:

• GTX970, power draw ~150W; 28nm process - it draws marginally less power than the RX480 on a 2x node shrink for worse perf; and the 970 got a lot of flack for valid reasons

Dude, the filth that comes out of some peoples fingers is outstanding. Skepticism and insight is not to be found.

If you are going to compare release prices, then do so. "RX 480 performs worse than my GTX 980 that i bought from a stupid kid for 200 bucks KEKEKEK."

This card is almost beating cards that were 150$ and upwards more expensive when they launched.

Maybe compare it against it's predecessor, the 380? Oh, no wait, that wouldn't make sense right?
Oh how they cried, when people compared the 1080 to an overclocked 980ti or Titan X, but hurdur let's compare THIS card
with higher tier cards, because fuck logic.

What the actual shit.

12 minutes ago, raphidy said:

No, well don't really care, 6 pin vs 6 pins +8 is still better for around the same perf. Less current in, less heat out depending on efficiency. Definitely less current in as it's not coming with 8 pins add on.

Not entirely sure where the logic is there, a component (no matter what it is, pc related or not) will only draw as much power as required to run it regardless of how many wires you throw at it. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Less than 1 hour left to see If all the other 480s are as bad as this.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

lmao rip elric for breaking the NDA though.. 

2 minutes ago, Noolz said:

Dude, the filth that comes out of some peoples fingers is outstanding. Skepticism and insight is not to be found.

If you are going to compare release prices, then do so. "RX 480 performs worse than my GTX 980 that i bought from a stupid kid for 200 bucks KEKEKEK."

This card is almost beating cards that were 150$ and upwards more expensive when they launched.

Maybe compare it against it's predecessor, the 380? Oh, no wait, that wouldn't make sense right?
Oh how they cried, when people compared the 1080 to an overclocked 980ti or Titan X, but hurdur let's compare THIS card

What the actual shit.

There was simply too much hype and too many rumours surrounding this card. Although once again, I'm not going to judge it yet until the NDA lifts, there was far too much hype to it. 

Had people @WCCF and all these Chinese sites saying it performs at all these varying levels and it got people excited. That's what hype does. 52 mins left tho..

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

7 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Your context doesn't change facts: pascal is 2 tiers above in efficiency with worst die size. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Kobz360 said:

lmao rip elric for breaking the NDA though.. 

There was simply too much hype and too many rumours surrounding this card. Although once again, I'm not going to judge it yet until the NDA lifts, there was far too much hype to it. 

Had people @WCCF and all these Chinese sites saying it performs at all these varying levels and it got people excited. That's what hype does. 52 mins left tho..

52 minutes till what? AMD AMA?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

52 minutes till what? AMD AMA?

The NDA lifting

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

1 minute ago, Kobz360 said:

The NDA lifting

Oh. RIP ToT XDDDD

Spoiler

AXIOM

3 minutes ago, Noolz said:

What the actual shit.

Why the hell should anyone buying a graphics card today take the price of cards 1-2 years ago into consideration.

I am in the market for a new graphics card. The GTX 970 and R9 390 is cheaper than the 480 where I live (and lots of other countries). In the US the 970 and R9 390 are slightly more expensive in the US.

It doesn't matter that the 390 and 970 were more expensive when they launched. What matters is what they cost right now.

The only one not using logic here is you.

Congratulations, this card would have been impressive if it launched 1-2 years ago. Too bad we live in 2016, right?

8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The number of people straight on hating is unbelievable. There is so many good points on why we got this review. We should wait for an actual good reviewer who knows what they are doing.

So once they show the same numbers would you retract that?  Or is he a bad reviewer regardless? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I also want to point out there he didn't test the thing the RX480 is marketed at doing: VR.

Hook up a Vive to it, test a whackton of games, then tell me how the experience is.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

So once they show the same numbers would you retract that?  Or is he a bad reviewer regardless? 

No, he would still be a bad reviewer. Not because of his results because he didn't delve into detail enough in anything really, didn't try to fix high temps, or use AMDs own software

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

he made his bias against AMD perfectly clear in the past and the way he ran the benchmarks is less than professional.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I also want to point out there he didn't test the thing the RX480 is marketed at doing: VR.

Hook up a Vive to it, test a whackton of games, then tell me how the experience is.

Cause VR games are crap. Yes I know immersive experience and all that means they can be lower detail but as a test for a gpu? Dogshit. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Crash and burn AMD fans, you cant hide behind the nda anymore!!!????? burn baby burn