Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
2 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

97 post in 4 years gives you idea of how less full of shit I am than you.

Zing! Love it! xD

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Isn't that what the 1080 needed not to throttle?

Hey now, if it sounds like a jet engine but it's as fast as a jet, we're cool. If it sounds like a jet engine but it's as fast as a shitty ww2 plane then not cool.

Or take the 1070: basically the same cooling solution (read: shitty) but the 1070 is performing above the 980ti where as this one is below the 970 for the same power draw (more or less). That's 2 full tiers appart in performance, those are rekt numbers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Noolz said:

All i know is that the RX 480 will be more future-proof than the 970 or 980 ever was.
And that is something everybody should put into consideration when buying a card or anything in that matter.

Have fun with a company that gimps it's own hardware.

They're right.....wine does taste better with age. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dude A: you know what they said? Women's aging is like fine wine, the older it gets, the tastier it is.

Dude B: yeah. My wife's aging like milk. After one night it's all sour and you stay a mile away from it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I don't recall anyone NOT shitting on the FE for it's lacklustre thermals except for maybe Tom Petersen

I've been taking diarreah dumps in the ears of anyone willing to listen: FE is a gigantic fucking ripoff: just an excuse for Nvidia to up prices accross the board.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lemme just remind you of this. He said "it's not over 9000" for a reason...

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

2 minutes ago, JanFrode said:

Since everyone keeps saying that as soon as Nvidia ships new graphoc card series out, they start to make the old ones worse in their drivers. I don't see why anyone should get 970 anymore. 
I got to be honest tho. the RX480 did disappoint me abit, but then again. the price point is justified. 
but I was kinda hoping to replace my 290.. who knows.. remains to see what the other reviews say.

that's not a trend that has lasted for decades, but rather a recent phenomenon.

AMD's GCN architecture has been out since 2011, and the fundamental design has not changed since then. It has taken game developers years to get better at optimizing their games for the architecture, and it has also taken years for AMD to get their drivers tuned. When they optimize their drivers, it effects all GCN cards, which is why GCN cards seem to age well.

How much more optimization AMD can do with GCN is unknown, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket at this point.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

anyone else extremely dissapointed, mostly by the hype of the fake benchmarks this card is a no killer of anything the hype was fake oh well, at least its not extremely terrible but useless ill wait next year card or beyond nothing to see here

22 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm still failing to understand this thread. So this card is a fail since it's not an R9 Nano? I think this kind of performance for $200 is pretty outstanding myself. Think back to previous launches in this price range. GTX 960, R9 285, R9 380: none of those were very good 1080p cards even at launch. The R9 480 is an outstanding 1080p card based on this review. Though with the caveat that I'm expecting there to not be a difference between the 4GB and 8GB versions at 1080p (4GB is a huge amount of VRAM for 1080p).

It's a solid price/performance card. No doubt about it, the 4GB model is great value.

Where it falls flat is that it comes short to GTX 970/R9 390 performance. What's stopping me from getting an aftermarket model of one of those for around the same price that'll run cooler? And in some cases, cheaper?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

38 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Cause VR games are crap. Yes I know immersive experience and all that means they can be lower detail but as a test for a gpu? Dogshit. 

Because it's totally stupid to test a GPU for what it was designed for. Because AMD totally hasn't been coining the 480 as the card that'll "bring VR to the main stream."

AMD "Competes with $500 cards" 

Benchmarks: Hardly scratches 970's back....

I know 970 is OCed but look how far from 980 the thing is. 

I'm done with AMD. I was seriously considering 480 a week ago, now its just another AMD card that was presented as a fucking budget God and doesn't deliver IMO. 

*Feeling sad knowing the 1070 is the only way to go....*

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I've been taking diarreah dumps in the ears of anyone willing to listen: FE is a gigantic fucking ripoff: just an excuse for Nvidia to up prices accross the board.

Atleast Komplett.no (Norways biggest online shop) Does the pricing "right" even tho stupidly pricy. the FE is cheaper than the aftermarket ones.. it's priced at 590 USD, while the after market ones are like 620+. That's the 1070 pricing atleast

Main rig:
Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme3 | CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz with Noctua NH-D14 | RAM: HyperX Fury DD4 2133MHz 16GB (4x4GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition | PSU: Corsair AX760i | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (White) | Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Toshiba 3TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Displays: BenQ XL2410T (120Hz) + 1xBenQ G2420HD (60Hz) | Keyboard: CM Storm Rapid I (Brown switches) | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 363D

13 minutes ago, Noolz said:

All i know is that the RX 480 will be more future-proof than the 970 or 980 ever was.
And that is something everybody should put into consideration when buying a card or anything in that matter.

Have fun with a company that gimps it's own hardware.

They're right.....wine does taste better with age. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nvidia gimps hardware? Tell that to my 780 which is still going strong. 

Also, the only reason why AMD cards tend to age better is because for the last several generations the architecture has been fairly similar compared to Nvidia. Once AMDs architecture goes through a big change expect AMDs long-term driver support to be more in line with Nvidias. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

it has 6 pin only, meaning it cant pass 150w. how did they get 170w ????!!!! thats just idiotic

On the left, you can see an idiot releasing his video 2 hours before the end of the NDA, insuring that he'll never get a review sample again.

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Subtle AVGN reference there?

Well, the launch of this card is going to be just as awful in any case. Both the companies should fire their marketing teams.

Welp, time to go commit sudoku.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Such a disappointing result after such a wait.

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

3 minutes ago, JanFrode said:

Atleast Komplett.no (Norways biggest online shop) Does the pricing "right" even tho stupidly pricy. the FE is cheaper than the aftermarket ones.. it's priced at 590 USD, while the after market ones are like 620+. That's the 1070 pricing atleast

Yeah I've seen some aftermarket 1070s showing up at a lower Price than the FE. Still not on a retailer near me but maybe soon, I might pull the trigger on the EVGA one looks nice (too flashy for some though)

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Welp, time to go commit sudoku.

like committing to finishing several games in a row or something?

Or you mean seppuku? Or maybe a combination of both: suicide by giving yourself a stroke from trying to solve a really complex sudoku game.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I got over hyped for nothing...

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

1 hour ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Don't cards also get something like 75W from the PCI-E Lane itself? 
Which is how low-end gpu's are powered.++So taht's 150W from 6-pin + 75W from Mobo.

Its actually 75W for the 6pin connector, 150W for 8 pin. That's of course if the card is being run within the specifications of the connectors-aka if you don't use custom BIOS/own an R9 295 X2.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Subtle AVGN reference there?

Well, the launch of this card is going to be just as awful in any case. Both the companies should fire their marketing teams.

Not so subtle for us knowledgeable nerd fans :)

Agreed on the marketing thing: the card that looks to have the better performance/Price point is overpriced and understocked and this looks like a bit of a meh option: I see no reason to get a 480 with a crap cooler over a 390 with an awesome Sapphire custom cooler even if it's 100 watts TDP more power I already have a PSU that can handle it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Noolz said:

https://hardforum.com/threads/first-gaming-benchmarks-up.1903628/#post-1042385515

AIB partners are reporting to me this morning that with extremely good custom air coolers the 480 GPUs are seeing from 1480MHz to 1600MHz clocks, but tell me it is a "lottery draw" on GPUs.

Man, i mean i don't know. Kyle Bennett is famous for being salty, but this could also explain the poor OC.

That's still not great. Remember the reference 970 and 980 are 1178 and 1216mhz in the benchmarks. And those do 1500 easily aswell. Those are already 100mhz higher in comparison. My 980 even does 1570...