experts find that HTML5 ads aren't safer than FLASH ones

zMeul

source: http://www.geoedge.com/downloads/documents/Security_Aspects_of_HTML5_in_Video_Ads.pdf?ge_campaign=html5_video

http://news.softpedia.com/news/html5-ads-aren-t-that-safe-compared-to-flash-study-reveals-505597.shtml

A study from GeoEdge, an ad scanning vendor, reveals that Flash has been wrongly accused of being the root cause of today's malvertising campaigns, but in reality, switching to HTML5 ads won't safeguard users from attacks because the vulnerabilities are in the ad platforms and advertising standards themselves.

According to the GeoEdge study, attacks using malicious ads, known as malvertising, do not necessarily rely on the underlying ad, but more on the insecure standards used to build the advertising network's infrastructure, regardless of whether they deliver static or video ads.

The company argues that, for video ads, the primary root of malvertising is the VAST and VPAID advertising standards. VAST and VPAID are the rules of the game when it comes to online video advertising, defining the road an ad needs to take from the ad's creator to the user's browser.

No matter if the ad is Flash or HTML5, there are critical points in this ad delivery path where ad creators can alter the ad via JavaScript injections. These same critical points are also there, so advertisers or ad networks can feed JavaScript code that fingerprints and tracks users.

A malicious ad creator can use their ability to send third-party JavaScript to the ad via AdParameter values. Instead of user tracking code or ad delivery instructions, they can very easily deliver malicious code instead. At no point does it matter to them if the ad was created in Flash or HTML5.

Of course, there's a discussion on whether HTML5 is actually an improvement over Flash. While Flash has better image quality rendering, HTML5 ads are usually larger in size. While Flash ads require a plugin to work, HTML5 ads don't work in older browsers. While Flash ads can be easily optimized, HTML5 ads are easier to create and work on mobile devices by default. In terms of security, HTML5 is the clear-cut winner, but currently, Flash ads are still a solid alternative.

html5-ads-aren-t-that-safe-compared-to-f

---

well then .. color me surprised; we are so used to bash Flash that we ignore the elephant in the room :|

---

JavaScript was designed by Brendan Eich, and made 1st apearance in 1995 Netscape Navigator web browser

JavaScript, not to be confused with Java, is a interpreted language used alongside HTML and CSS as one of the core technologies for WWW content production

In 1996, MS reverse engineered Netscape's JavaScript into JScript and implemented it into Internet Explorer 3

Also in 1996, Netscape submitted JavaScript to ECMA (European Computer Manufacturers Association) for standardization - 1997

inb4 people trying to justify their adblock usage.. Just stop it, nobody cares. Use it or don't, don't brag about either.

Anyways, I am not surprised. The main reason I want Flash to go away is because I just don't want the software installed anymore, as well as making everything compatible on all platforms. Flash is just kind of an annoying standard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

well i still prefer HTML5 over Flash but this is honestly not surprising to me but good info nevertheless :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There's only one way to fix this.  We must block all ads and inform all companies to create monthly subscriptions starting as low as $2.

Yup, it was inevitable. While HTML5 might be inherently more secure, it's not like it's invulnerable. We've moved the vulnerability from a plugin to the browser itself and the HTML5 implementation I guess. 

I'm guessing (haven't really read up on it) HTML5 is open source and it's now up to those who maintain the standard and browser developers to make sure to patch things in the browser instead of relying on Adobe to patch their clusterfuck of a piece of software.

49 minutes ago, Prysin said:

And Javascript is mostly blocked or restricted by all browsers by default these days so the issue is?

Javascript is almost used everywhere, facebook, youtube, everywhere, even LTT forum.

If you use chrome, press F12 and look how many times you see the word "javascript".

It's a lot btw. And not blocked at all.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The big difference between flash ads and HTML5 ads though is that, while both can result in malicious adverts being served, a malicious HTML5 advert is limited by the browser sandbox, and can only do anything damaging to your computer if it finds a vulnerability in the browser that you're using (which has happened in the past, but isn't at all common), while a flash ad is not sandboxed by the browser, and relies instead on flash's notoriously ineffective sandboxing.

55 minutes ago, Prysin said:

And Javascript is mostly blocked or restricted by all browsers by default these days so the issue is?

No, java is mostly blocked, and java is a very different thing to javascript. Without javascript, most websites will provide a degraded experience at best, and some more modern websites won't work at all. For example, while you can use this site without JS, things like the editor are significantly nerfed without it.

HTTP/2 203

so its not HTML5's fault either you made it sound like that in the title

18 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

you made it sound like that in the title

that's not what the title sais

To add to the last statement in the quote, html5 videos also cost less ressources than Flash ones.

Also why is not everyone just using a script blocker like NoScript or uMatrix already, the latter one of which can be used with default settings on most sites without problems as it only blocks 3rd party scripts.

2 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

There's only one way to fix this.  We must block all ads and inform all companies to create monthly subscriptions starting as low as $2.

Do you only go to 10 websites or something? And would you immediately pay 2 USD when you visit a site for the first time? I know this is not a 100% serious post, but I like taking stuff (too) serious.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Do you only go to 10 websites or something? And would you immediately pay 2 USD when you visit a site for the first time? I know this is not a 100% serious post, but I like taking stuff (too) serious.

I go to hundreds of websites, though I keep to a primary 30 or so.  I'd be willing to pay.  I'd have to imagine a lot of websites could work together for bundle deals, more bang for your buck.  Some websites likely have a loyal follower base, and people will pay anything.  With that thought in mind - tumblr and Reddit + subscriptions = incredibly, insanely rich over night.

I honestly, in order to be rid of all ads, and have cleaner, safer sites - would pay subscription fees.  I'd say a site would probably have to do an IP check and give people a 30 day trial if you're visiting for the first time.  Maybe have 3 month special deals like Spotify, 99 cents and all.

Alternatively every site could have a Patreon and advertise that primarily on their main page.

27 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I go to hundreds of websites, though I keep to a primary 30 or so.  I'd be willing to pay.  I'd have to imagine a lot of websites could work together for bundle deals, more bang for your buck.  Some websites likely have a loyal follower base, and people will pay anything.  With that thought in mind - tumblr and Reddit + subscriptions = incredibly, insanely rich over night.

I honestly, in order to be rid of all ads, and have cleaner, safer sites - would pay subscription fees.  I'd say a site would probably have to do an IP check and give people a 30 day trial if you're visiting for the first time.  Maybe have 3 month special deals like Spotify, 99 cents and all.

Alternatively every site could have a Patreon and advertise that primarily on their main page.

Your plan:

Internet = rekt. 

Good luck, poor people! (quick guesstimate that at least 70% of the world's population can't afford that) 

Seriously, fuck ads...

16efuu.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

HTML5 can be patched quicker though as it doesn't require any kind of software patches to a browser (although it does help if browsers get updated anyway) in order to fix security vulnerabilities. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Reminds me of the Microsoft vs Apple virus vulnerability debate. Until Apple became popular did it get attacked, boy was it bad when it happened.

:|

But I do strongly agree about blocking those adds though. Either way it is trouble just waiting in the shadow...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

who would ever thought...

maybe the security expects could offer a bill to shut down ad networks?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

HTML5 is still superior to Flash performance wise, no need to install software, sandbox via browser, platforms. Also it's different  all together.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Sure let all the people that cant afford $2/site (for me that would end up being hundreds/month) to not have access to the internet

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Make sure my Avast and  Malwarebytes ready for battle... LOL!

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

What a bunch of nonsense. The problem with Flash is that it is full of security holes which allows for things like privilege escalation and other dangerous things. The article seems to talk about malicious JavaScript injection which is certainly a bad thing, but that is not the same as the huge amount of Flash exploits that have given it a bad rep.

Flash security holes and malicious JS are two separate issues. The former can be fixed by removing Flash. The latter is a problem we still have and is inherent to ads (as well as websites in general).

Think of it this way. We had two separate issues which combined caused 100 different exploits to be possible. By removing Flash we removed 60 of those exploits. We are now left with 40, and those are the 40 this article seems to talk about. Sure we still have problems, but there is far less of them.

On top of that, it is up to the developers of the browsers to patch any potential security hole related to JS. So if an exploit is discovered in Chrome which allows for arbitrary code execution though JS, it is up to Google to fix it (and the same exploit would probably not work in Firefox). With Flash, if one exploit is discovered then it works in all browsers and it is up to Adobe to fix it.

All the points here are somewhat or completely false as well:

Of course, there's a discussion on whether HTML5 is actually an improvement over Flash. While Flash has better image quality rendering, HTML5 ads are usually larger in size. While Flash ads require a plugin to work, HTML5 ads don't work in older browsers. While Flash ads can be easily optimized, HTML5 ads are easier to create and work on mobile devices by default. In terms of security, HTML5 is the clear-cut winner, but currently, Flash ads are still a solid alternative.

Flash does not offer better image quality. What image quality you get entirely depends on the codecs used. A JPEG rendered in Flash should not look any different than a JPEG rendered by the browsers JPEG renderer, unless there is some post-processing going on. Same with videos. In a lot of cases you can even use the exact same video file over HTML5 and Flash.

What do they mean HTML5 ads are usually larger? For both HTML5 and Flash ads like 99% of the size is the image or video, which like I said before are often the exact same file.

HTML5 is not exactly a new thing. Compatibility is not exactly an issue. Hell, even Internet Explorer 8 has some support for HTML5 (although it is really limited). This can also be circumvented by using things like HTML5 Shiv.

HTML5 ads being easier to create is a very subjective things.

How can the conclusion of the article be that HTML5 is the clear winner in terms of security, when the text just above it tries to say that both are as vulnerable?