Is it weird that I take my shirt off when working on computers?

DeadlyPilot

no. But please refrain from having a plumber crack unless watercooling. 

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you're grounded with a wrist strap, no it's not necessary. However, just because you're using a wrist strap that's connected to a grounded object doesn't mean you're grounded. You still need to conduct static electricity from your wrist over to the wrist strap itself. If you suffer from dry skin, your body may have too much resistance for the strap to be useful.

I usually attach my strap to the case (via a bare thumb screw that I have screwed through my PSU) with the PSU plugged in to not only keep me grounded, but to more importantly keep me at the same potential as the system I am working on. Also I know it's not necessary since I'm grounded, but I wouldn't want my shirt hovering over my PC as I lean forward. Isn't there a reason almost every manufacture wears anti static clothing when dealing with this type of stuff? 

Touching the Heater was enough since i build myself. Never heard that Cloth damaged components. xD

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, DeadlyPilot said:

attach my strap to the case (via a bare thumb screw that I have screwed through my PSU) with the PSU plugged in to not only keep me grounded, but to most importantly keep me at the same potential as the system I am working on. Also I know it's not necessary since I'm grounded, but I wouldn't want my shirt hovering over my PC as I lean forward. Isn't there a reason almost every manufacture wears anti static clothing when dealing with this

Hey, ya never know. Parts can end up failing prematurely which many times people will blame on the manufacture when really, they're the ones that damaged it.

There's no way of telling whether or not a component has been damaged by static. Who knows, maybe it could even decrease system performance.

5 hours ago, DeadlyPilot said:

I'm just one of those people that want to be 100% sure I wont damage any of my components in the slightest. I know that going shirtless isn't totally necessary, but I'm sure it helps. I just don't want any clothing getting near my PC. So anyways, am I the only one that does this? 

And yes, I do use a wrist strap :D

Lol and sometimes I do it on my personal computer because I get hot

Breaking things 1 day at a time

9 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm the most sexual person you'll meet on LTT.

now is that a good thing

Clearly thats me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 hours ago, DeadlyPilot said:

I usually attach my strap to the case (via a bare thumb screw that I have screwed through my PSU) with the PSU plugged in to not only keep me grounded, but to more importantly keep me at the same potential as the system I am working on. Also I know it's not necessary since I'm grounded, but I wouldn't want my shirt hovering over my PC as I lean forward. Isn't there a reason almost every manufacture wears anti static clothing when dealing with this type of stuff? 

I've never had the problem of my shirt going inside of the computer and touching the components. Even so, if you are indeed grounded, it is an extra precaution to take when building a PC, but perhaps unnecessary. My workplace scenario is different as I deal with military electronics and as such, the standards are much more strict. But these are supposed to last a long time - something like 30 years. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 hours ago, DeadlyPilot said:

So would you suggest going commando?  

Wouldn't advise it. Don't want things getting caught in the fans when you test boot. 

6 hours ago, Praesi said:

Touching the Heater was enough since i build myself. Never heard that Cloth damaged components. xD

Clothing is an insulator, and therefore develops static electricity. This is why when I'm at work, we have to wear ESD jackets. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Clothing is an insulator, and therefore develops static electricity. This is why when I'm at work, we have to wear ESD jackets. 

I can't help but imagine a jacket made out of anti-static bags.

8 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you're grounded with a wrist strap, no it's not necessary. However, just because you're using a wrist strap that's connected to a grounded object doesn't mean you're grounded. You still need to conduct static electricity from your wrist over to the wrist strap itself. If you suffer from dry skin, your body may have too much resistance for the strap to be useful.

PC building 101: Remember the lotion.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I can't help but imagine a jacket made out of anti-static bags.

Nah, ours look something like this: http://documents.desco.com/Images/Catalog/highResolution/73749.jpg

Except ours are red, or more likely maroon. 

3 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

PC building 101: Remember the lotion.

Specific lotion anyways. Some lotions contain insulators which will increase the resistance, or keep it the same, and as I said the resistance may be too high for the wrist strap to even work. At work, we have to use ESD lotion.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What a dashing chap!

Are gloves a requirement too, or just the jacket? 

Our requirements are very high, but we don't require gloves unless we're touching bare boards, or we're soldering. If the boards coated, we can use our bare hands. That being said though, for assemblers, and anyone sitting at a table(which by the way is grounded :P) working on ESD sensitive devices, must be grounded to the table. For me most of the time though, I wear ESD heel straps to keep me constantly grounded to the floor.

I take my pants off. 

Very weird. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

i know a guy that only works on computers "wearing as little as possible" with his feet on the metal frame of his desk.

now, thats an antistatic dream scenario right there.. if the dude didnt have more chest hair than both my cats combined xD

12 hours ago, DeadlyPilot said:

I'm just one of those people that want to be 100% sure I wont damage any of my components in the slightest. I know that going shirtless isn't totally necessary, but I'm sure it helps. I just don't want any clothing getting near my PC. So anyways, am I the only one that does this? 

And yes, I do use a wrist strap :D

Yes, that is weird

8 hours ago, betam4x said:

I take everything off.

6 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Lol and sometimes I do it on my personal computer because I get hot

34 minutes ago, Noire said:

I take my pants off. 

I am glad you guys don't have a PC building YouTube channel..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

"Okay before we begin, we have to be naked. This is to prevent as much static build up as possible." Right idea, terrible execution. 

12 hours ago, nipppppyyyyyyy said:

i take off my shirt when i am focused on something

So during a school exam, you start(ed) to strip? Dayum son...I'm sure I would have liked to see that...maybe not...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

26 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I am literally going to take my pants off and do a build right now. 

12 minutes ago, Noire said:

I am literally going to take my pants off and do a build right now. 

19 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

So during a school exam, you start(ed) to strip? Dayum son...I'm sure I would have liked to see that...maybe not...

It's getting hot in here...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/