Is it weird that I take my shirt off when working on computers?

DeadlyPilot

I'm just one of those people that want to be 100% sure I wont damage any of my components in the slightest. I know that going shirtless isn't totally necessary, but I'm sure it helps. I just don't want any clothing getting near my PC. So anyways, am I the only one that does this? 

And yes, I do use a wrist strap :D

Personally I prefer going completely naked and then getting intimate with my components, just to make sure they're what I paid for.

It's the same strategy I use for people.

Edit: Besides the shipost; no it's not bad, especially if you're working with expensive stuff. Sometimes it's good to be paranoid.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

That's a start got to get rid of as much static generating items as possible! xD 

So would you suggest going commando?  

Is it weird that I take my shirt off when working on computers?

Yes.

13 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

So anyways, am I the only one that does this? 

More than likely. I haven't seen anyone build up enough static charge with a shirt on.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I'm sure HowToBasic will make a video about this eventually so that everyone can get a clear understanding of how to properly prepare yourself for building a PC

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

yes, it's very weird. how dare you be different!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

As long as it doesn't turn kinky, you're fine.

I mean my 850 Evo does turn me on at times.

i take off my shirt when i am focused on something

so no your not weird

an example of me focusing on something would be me trying to answer my question

9 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

i get hard as a rock when i look at pictures of gtx 1080s

17 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

You see kids? This is why you don't do drugs.

Just kidding. No offense at OP. xD

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

[shoots a censored with my HD 7850]

Just watch out for some of those solder points, man can they be sharp sometimes.

12 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

what's a little bump and grind without some scratch marks

I knew this forum would go sexual :D

Some say that computers really like you touching their power buttons. It really turns them on.

2 hours ago, DeadlyPilot said:

So would you suggest going commando?  

If you're grounded with a wrist strap, no it's not necessary. However, just because you're using a wrist strap that's connected to a grounded object doesn't mean you're grounded. You still need to conduct static electricity from your wrist over to the wrist strap itself. If you suffer from dry skin, your body may have too much resistance for the strap to be useful.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch