Comcast boosts broadband data cap to 1TB

GamersCouch

Link

" Comcast's move comes as the Federal Communications Commission expresses concerns over how caps on home broadband service may affect online video competition."

Comcast is set to increase the data caps to 1TB... in other news, Cox increased their cap to 2TB last month! That's my data cap here in San Diego, CA anyway.  

Gotta put caps on data or else our limited supply will run out. Kappa.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

And here i am in the UK, with no cap on my fiber optic. For £12.50 a month, with line rental on top.

MI1ds4L.gif?1

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

What the hell. ISPs in developed countries have data caps on broadband?

Potato

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Welcome to America, land of the second shittiest ISPs in developed countries just after Australia.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

And here i am in the UK, with no cap on my fiber optic. For £12.50 a month, with line rental on top.

It's understandable keeping in mind population. There are ~65 million people in the UK whereas there are ~320 million people in the US. With that being said, I don't know anyone who uses 2TB a month. I'm a heavy user, and I use at the most 750GB, not Gb, of data a month. 

2 minutes ago, GamersCouch said:

It's understandable keeping in mind population. There are ~65 million people in the UK whereas there are ~320 million people in the US. With that being said, I don't know anyone who uses 2TB a month. I'm a heavy user, and I use at the most 750GB, not Gb, of data a month. 

and also USA does have a land mass issue a lot of other countries do not have to deal with. but Comcast still tries to fuck us every second they can.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

No data cap here for me in the UK either, I pay £20 per month for large fibre VDSL + line rental also (upto 76/20) and I actually get approx 70/20 on my line. I used to get 16/0.25 with normal broadband ADSL and it sucked big time... download wasn't too bad, but trying to upload pics etc was slooow!! 

I think the speed I get now is fine, sure I'd like it to be faster and get gigabit speeds up/down, but not likely where I live to be honest... so am happy with what I have, it let's me game/download/stream at the same time even with other users on the network too :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, GamersCouch said:

No it really isn't reasonable. 

The Internet doesn't work on caps, it works on bandwidth.  

It doesn't even help isps deal with loading because peak bandwidth capacity by its very nature has to be numerous times larger than average usage,  and only average usage decreases with data caps. 

I routinely run around 1200 GB/Month even on a shitty 60/4 Mbps connection. 

Maxing that out over the course of a month would be about 20TB so a 1TB limit would be giving me 1/20th of my effective average bandwidth (only gets worse for people with better connections) 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

and also USA does have a land mass issue a lot of other countries do not have to deal with. but Comcast still tries to fuck us every second they can.

This is what I get...

5285896211.png

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

No it really isn't reasonable. 

The Internet doesn't work on caps, it works on bandwidth.  

It doesn't even help isps deal with loading because peak bandwidth capacity by its very nature has to be numerous times larger than average usage,  and only average usage decreases with data caps. 

I routinely run around 1200 GB/Month even on a shitty 60/4 Mbps connection. 

Maxing that out over the course of a month would be about 20TB so a 1TB limit would be giving me 1/20th of my effective average bandwidth (only gets worse for people with better connections) 

I don't understand, you routinely run 1.2TB/month, but maxing that out over a course of a month would be 20TB?

1 minute ago, GamersCouch said:

I don't understand, you routinely run 1.2TB/month, but maxing that out over a course of a month would be 20TB?

Maxing out my bandwidth every day all the time is 20TB a month. 

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Maxing out my bandwidth every day all the time is 20TB a month. 

You're only talking about hypotheticals. You also have to keep in mind that using their services uses energy, something that has to be paid for. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not defending Comcast. I wish there was no cap at all, but if I was running a business selling internet access, I'd run it to make profit. I probably wouldn't be as evil as Comcast, just a little evil... hahaha.

But seriously, hurry the fuck on Google and give me my fibers, it's good for my health!

That moment when you live in a third world country but have vastly better ISPs than Amurica xD

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

17 minutes ago, GamersCouch said:

You're only talking about hypotheticals. You also have to keep in mind that using their services uses energy, something that has to be paid for. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not defending Comcast. I wish there was no cap at all, but if I was running a business selling internet access, I'd run it to make profit. I probably wouldn't be as evil as Comcast, just a little evil... hahaha.

But seriously, hurry the fuck on Google and give me my fibers, it's good for my health!

See but their services uptime is based on peal bandwidth not current usage. It therefore is of relatively no difference to Comcast from a energy use perspective if peak/ave is 1.2 or 10 assuming peak stays constant.  

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Now if only the ISPs in Canada could follow suit...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My brother and I combined use over 100tb of data.  I am the one who uses most of the data ?

I use around 2TB - 3TB, but thankfully Brighthouse doesn't care if I use that or a VPN, and on top of it all - Google Fiber soon! 

Hell, if I had a choice of Comcast, or no internet--I'd choose T-Mobile unlimited and just tether and say nothing.

/Glares at my 200GB monthly usage limit. ಠ_ಠ

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

3 hours ago, GamersCouch said:

I could destroy 2tb in 2 weeks especially with my craving for Bluray quality. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s