AMD Polaris 10 GPU Reportedly Offers Near 980 Ti Performance For 300 USD

Aytex
Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Shh... the plebes still don't understand it's all about the cache anyway. It may come to matter eventually, but games are not so complex currently (nor will be for a few years to come) that they actually require 512GB/s of bandwidth from VRAM, much less 1 TB/s. 

Yes just look how much better the XBone with it's DDR3 and large on die cache compared to PS4's GDDR5 in minimal cache. XBone is clearly better /s.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yes just look how much better the XBone with it's DDR3 and large on die cache compared to PS4's GDDR5 in minimal cache. XBone is clearly better /s.

Fewer shaders, TMUs, and ROPs, and far fewer ACEs, as well as a lower clock speed. You have to have balance in design, but performance in any computing environment is 90% determined by how well you use your cache. Don't believe me?

The same holds true for the GPU. The underlying paradigm of modern game engine design is based around optimizing for the best use of your data. Namely, it's all about caches. And mind you these guys only cover the basics. If you're going to main memory directly (not via a natural prefetch which the CPU caches handle in predictable access patterns to get the data and instructions before you need them), you've already lost. If you don't use your cache optimally, nothing else matters. And mind you, not all caches are created equally. Intel's cache structure is vastly superior to AMD's because it is fully associative. If you miss data/instructions in the L1 cache of a core in AMD's design and then can't find them in L2 either, you have to "snoop" the L1 of the other cores to check if it is still nearby before you can start checking L3 in the case of FX or going to main memory for the Athlons and APUs. In Intel's case, if it's not in a given core's L1 or L2, you know to prefetch from memory while searching the L3 cache. In the event of the L3 miss, you've already mitigated a lot of the damage by virtue of the design.

It is ALL about the caches, always, without exception.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Might switch to the red team if they can offer a competitive product. I'm still looking forward to the new GTX1070 or whatever its going to be called.

12 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Fewer shaders, TMUs, and ROPs, and far fewer ACEs, as well as a lower clock speed. You have to have balance in design, but performance in any computing environment is 90% determined by how well you use your cache. Don't believe me?

It is ALL about the caches, always, without exception.

So it's not ALL about the cache. Wasting all that die space on on-die cache instead of more shaders, ROP's, ACE's TMU's was a mistake, that made the graphics not only slower, but less performing:

Xbox_One_vs_PS4_APU_Side_By_Side_Wide.pn

Playstation 4 on the left is smaller than the XBone chip on the right. All that space wasted on SRAM, which is super fast cache, did not yield better performance compared to the Playstation 4 chip.

All else equal than just SRAM, then sure it would be faster, but you always end up wasting a LOT of valuable die area that could be used much more efficiently for performance. Of course things have to be properly balanced.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm wondering... if nVidia does NOT support Async with Pascal, if it would be a wise decision for me to head to Team Red and pick up an AMD card. We've seen the benefits of Async, and more performance is always welcome. I could pick up a 490X, then get Vega when it's ready.

Hmmmm......

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

21 hours ago, ProKeero said:

Pretty sure AMD aint gonna win this time either xD, remember what they said about the 300 series? how it was gonna crush Nvidia? that was a great fantasy...

You mean the 300 series that is currently dominating every price point except the most expensive one? Yeah, about that....

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

49 minutes ago, Notional said:

So it's not ALL about the cache. Wasting all that die space on on-die cache instead of more shaders, ROP's, ACE's TMU's was a mistake, that made the graphics not only slower, but less performing:

Playstation 4 on the left is smaller than the XBone chip on the right. All that space wasted on SRAM, which is super fast cache, did not yield better performance compared to the Playstation 4 chip.

All else equal than just SRAM, then sure it would be faster, but you always end up wasting a LOT of valuable die area that could be used much more efficiently for performance. Of course things have to be properly balanced.

From a software standpoint, it's all about the cache. You will saturate your hardware's capabilities very easily just by optimizing cache use.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

41 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm wondering... if nVidia does NOT support Async with Pascal, if it would be a wise decision for me to head to Team Red and pick up an AMD card. We've seen the benefits of Async, and more performance is always welcome. I could pick up a 490X, then get Vega when it's ready.

Hmmmm......

The average 7% gain that Nvidia managed to surpass in AOTS without having Async? Okay...

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

And 40% higher clocks*

1400MHz boost clock is massive.

Well, the average Titan X (full GM200) boost clock is around 1150-1200 MHz, so that's not 40% higher clockspeed...

If NVIDIA listed the GP100 as a 300W part, which is 50W higher than their current highest end cards, this could mean they had some minor issue with the 16nm process or the integration of FP64 units. At least I hope so since I'd like to see AMD to ~2010 market share levels... and latest NVIDIA drivers are quite disappointing.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

For the fun of concept of competition let there be a ideal world where4/5 companies are fighting it out for GPU market that would lead to cut throat competition as a result the refresh cycle will shrink down and we will see strategies from them as we see from android based smartphone companies 

(Samsung launches S7 priced 54000INR challenged by xiomi mi5 at 24000 and it gets challenged by micromax canvas 6 at 13000) so each price point is covered and we don't get these big gaps b/w each iteration

On 25/04/2016 at 2:20 PM, IMPERIUS said:

I hope thats true

edit: the 300- series was also apparently going to "destroy the 900- series from nvidia" tho that didn't really happen...

the 300 series was going to compete with. Not a single word of "destruction" or "crushing" or "drastically outperforming" was ever said by AMD. So take your shit elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Agost said:

Well, the average Titan X (full GM200) boost clock is around 1150-1200 MHz, so that's not 40% higher clockspeed...

If NVIDIA listed the GP100 as a 300W part, which is 50W higher than their current highest end cards, this could mean they had some minor issue with the 16nm process or the integration of FP64 units. At least I hope so since I'd like to see AMD to ~2010 market share levels... and latest NVIDIA drivers are quite disappointing.

No, the rated boost clock of the Titan X is much lower. Now, what GPU Boost 2.0 may achieve on average is a separate matter.

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Shh... the plebes still don't understand it's all about the cache anyway. It may come to matter eventually, but games are not so complex currently (nor will be for a few years to come) that they actually require 512GB/s of bandwidth from VRAM, much less 1 TB/s. 

Lmfao, you did not just call them plebs! xD

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

49 minutes ago, LtRavens said:

Lmfao, you did not just call them plebs! xD

I did.

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I did.

Wow. So nobility. Many demeaning.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Wow. So nobility. Many demeaning.

Much right. No apologies. Such suckiness.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:43 AM, Clanscorpia said:

AMD is not fine. Their stock is 4 dollars. THATS SHIT. They need money. And they dont care about their old card. If their best card is better, they can always underclock to make it cheaper. It's a very, very good strategy

Nothing wrong with $4 shares, it's about the market cap (price of shares * number of shares). 

For instance, a company with 1 x $1000 share has the same value as a company with 1000 x $1 shares.

I just can't imagine that will be true, but if it is... I might just try radeon again...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

You mean the 300 series that is currently dominating every price point except the most expensive one? Yeah, about that....

Shhh, they cant see past the green.

- snip-

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just can't imagine that will be true, but if it is... I might just try radeon again...

If you are planning to use the graphics card for more than 2 years you'd probably be better off with amd anyway :) My HD 7950 is still getting performance increases from drivers 5 years after it was released.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Looks very promising. I look forward to switch from Nvidia/Intel to AMD :D

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

13 hours ago, Prysin said:

the 300 series was going to compete with. Not a single word of "destruction" or "crushing" or "drastically outperforming" was ever said by AMD. So take your shit elsewhere.

Didnt say that AMD said those things

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

5 hours ago, Fetzie said:

If you are planning to use the graphics card for more than 2 years you'd probably be better off with amd anyway :) My HD 7950 is still getting performance increases from drivers 5 years after it was released.

It helps that the 7950 was in AMDs current lineup until 11 months ago.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On another thought, if the graph graph is true, its gonna devalue ALL of amd cards present series cards on market, time to get my cards sold before the flood of AMD and Nvida cards come onto ebay with this release. 

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

2 hours ago, Deedot78 said:

On another thought, if the graph graph is true, its gonna devalue ALL of amd cards present series cards on market, time to get my cards sold before the flood of AMD and Nvida cards come onto ebay with this release. 

If it is true it'll devalue all of the cards on the market.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II