AMD Polaris 10 GPU Reportedly Offers Near 980 Ti Performance For 300 USD

Aytex
8 hours ago, IMPERIUS said:

I hope thats true

edit: the 300- series was also apparently going to "destroy the 900- series from nvidia" tho that didn't really happen...

Noticeably better, usually $20 less. It's better but they didn't have enough advertising to convince the masses that the 970 was lesser. And, of course, they launched a year later.

51 minutes ago, branden_lucero said:

all Ti and X cards should no longer exist. they're barely worth a fuckin' thing over their non-Ti and X counter parts. 

uhh what? The higher end the card is the more price gouged it is.. this is how it always has been.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Isn't Vega suppose to be the higher-end cards?

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

10 hours ago, IMPERIUS said:

I hope thats true

edit: the 300- series was also apparently going to "destroy the 900- series from nvidia" tho that didn't really happen...

Well I wouldn't recommend the GTX 970 over the R9 390 and the GTX 980 is almost a tie or lost with the R9 390X at 1440p or above in recent games, even in Witcher 3.

4:21 of this video.

The one downside is power consumption and heat, it is an older architecture afterall.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

First of all it definitely will not be $300, more like $400. It did cost AMD a small fortune to produce these products and they will charge at least that much, especially since they can as we all know NVidia is not going to drop the prices to these levels either. Not for new GPUs.

On the same note by the time it reaches UK it will cost around £380 meaning around €500 in Europe (translates to around $550). So that's that.

As for performance differences between AMD and NVidia to me it is ridiculous. If you take same tier GPU from both and slam it into two separate rigs bearing same configs no one would be able to tell which is which by only using them to play games (I know I know, there are few titles out there customized more for one or the other).

So all in all it is futile argument who does best. Unless one of the companies snoozes or does a major screw up it does not matter in the end. Go with the GPU you like and can afford. The rest is (sorry for my language) just a pi55 contest.

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, there have been tens of millions of consoles sold, and AMD supplied the hardware for all of them, yet AMD is still I serious financial trouble. Clearly consoles aren't making a big impact, which leads me to the conclusion that they're not that profitable for AMD. Which makes sense since they had to undercut Nvidia in order to get the console contracts.

Nvidia didn't have the expertise to take up the contract, nor did they have the manufacturing capacity.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Maybe it does water-cooled and overclocked. 

Out of the box I highly doubt it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

If we accept that AMD can pull that off there are some reasons i could see that this could happen.

1) smaller Dies = smaller cost = cheaper to sell while keeping some good margins
2) Market Penetration = AMD's market % is really low, if they can push to get more people to buy AMD cards they can push their technologies and contracts further
3) Cont from point 2 strategic alliances. More deals with developers if they have bigger market share. 
4) keep investors happy with big numbers

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Have my doubts regarding the speculated prices (~$300), especially at launch. Perhaps thats the targeting pricerange AMD is going for, but doubt we will see them until vega appears. I don't see that polaris will coexist with the current fury lineup, not going to make sense. Fury lineup is expensive to manufacture due to HBM and the extreme huge interposers, and it seems they will comptete in the same performance-space. I'll expect AMD to make sure they empty their current lineup (comes in the form of good deals), to prepare for polaris launch.

The performance metric, I'm not so surprised by. AMD have already showcased both polaris 11/10 running atleast 1080p/1440p at 60fp, with a very conservative clockspeed (to showcase their performance/W metric), which I would expect they could ramp up for more performance on the cost of worse performance/W (nvidias are already showned to run at incredible high clockspeed from the beginning). The biggest unknown metrics right know is the advancement in GCN 1.3 (and what influence it will have on performance) and the final clockspeed on the individual SKUs.

Now, we are all just waiting patiently for nvidia to spoil is with some actual numbers (not theorized numbers they pulled so far), and to actual showcase silicon running software.

They have been awfully quite from that camp.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

2 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Nvidia didn't have the expertise to take up the contract, nor did they have the manufacturing capacity.

based on..... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

based on..... 

Nvidia doesn't offer any kind of semi-custom x86 SoC solution, and doesn't offer any kind of custom SoC solution.

IE Nvidia didn't have any comparable solution for the console manufactures.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

4 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Nvidia doesn't offer any kind of semi-custom x86 SoC solution, and doesn't offer any kind of custom SoC solution.

IE Nvidia didn't have any comparable solution for the console manufactures.

They never have, yet they got the PS3 contract. The point is, the consoles easily could have gone with a different SOC but chose not to due to cost reasons (hence why the consoles aren't particularly profitable for AMD).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

They never have, yet they got the PS3 contract. The point is, the consoles easily could have gone with a different SOC but chose not to due to cost reasons (hence why the consoles aren't particularly profitable for AMD).

The PS3 used a dGPU, not an integrated one. A huge point was that console manufactures wanted a real SoC, with almost-all/all components integrated. Something Nvidia can't offer today. Another point would be x86, which Nvidia can't offer. Sure, they could continue with external processors, but that would not be because of cost reasons (as external processors are MORE expensive).

AMD consoles have been very profitable for AMD, without it, they most likely wouldn't be here today. What makes you think otherwise?

17 hours ago, Aytex said:

http://www.game-debate.com/blog/images/_id1461590365_343178_5.png

If this is true i can only imagine the power of the flagships, maybe like 3x the power? lol if we can only imagine

it also consuming less TDP makes us not have to get upgraded PSU's= more money saved for us

Source

It's price/performance.

At $300, it has twice the price/performance of the 980Ti which is priced at $600. This means that it must perform about the same as a 980Ti.

Although I doubt the 490X will cost just $300.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

24 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

based on..... 

AMD has access to both TSMC and Global Foundrie, and Nvidia has mediocre CPUs that are ARM, and not x86 and AMD has expertise in APUs which suited Microsoft and Sony perfectly.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

That's not even a very nice looking made up graph...

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Good, but the vertical axis of the chart is named upside down.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

1. The Polaris 10 is the flagship, isn't it?
2. Good luck vs the fury x in 4k with the GDDR5x or whatever it is called memory.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

Just now, Phoenix721 said:

2. Good luck vs the fury x in 4k with the GDDR5x or whatever it is called memory.

Vega is the flagship, Polaris 10 is Mainstream, and P11 is entrance/mobile

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

Vega is the flagship, Polaris 10 is Mainstream, and P11 is entrance/mobile

Vega is not coming out untill 2017 with a different architecture. Also, vega will have HBM2 and not freaking gddr5x.

Just now, Phoenix721 said:

Vega is the flag ship with HBM 2.

Polaris 10 is apparently larger than 11, so that would make it the middle chip (similar to 970/980 model wise).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

But you don't need HBM for 4k

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Agost said:

I'm actually quite hoping so.

They listed the full GP100 at 300W, highest ever for a NVIDIA GPU, while it has ~20% more cores than GM100 and the same area...

And 40% higher clocks*

1400MHz boost clock is massive.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

you don't, but in AMD's case, it really, really really helps.

Shh... the plebes still don't understand it's all about the cache anyway. It may come to matter eventually, but games are not so complex currently (nor will be for a few years to come) that they actually require 512GB/s of bandwidth from VRAM, much less 1 TB/s. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd