AMD Polaris 10 GPU Reportedly Offers Near 980 Ti Performance For 300 USD

Aytex
6 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Mainstream is a price bracket, not a performance bracket

now it's a price bracket

whatever fits your narrative .. riight

can you point to a nVidia source where GTXs are classified as?!

There's no way it's going to sell for 300 having the same power as a 980ti

2 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

There's no way it's going to sell for 300 having the same power as a 980ti

Its called innovation. The first Pentium machines cost thousands. Imagine that now

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

5 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

Yes, we really need something exciting. Hopefully amd's cpu side will do something good with Zen too...

Yeah i would really like to see AMD up their CPU game...they are doing pretty okay GPU wise tbh

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

now it's a price bracket

Actually, "mainstream" is whatever you try to describe it according to your agenda.

This is what you try to call mainstream on a product that hasn't been released yet.

On 2016-04-22 at 0:35 PM, zMeul said:

AMD-Radeon-300-Mainstream-900x499.jpg

AMD-M300-Mainstream-900x500.jpg

Yeah, nice job trying to put an unreleased chip that has 2.5X better performance per watt, built on a 14nm process and a new architecture... on a roadmap slide that's made for last generation GPUs.

Admit it, you're doing this after all:

200_s.gif

With your logic, the GTX 950 should perform just as bad, if not worse, than the GTX 750 Ti, but it doesn't. But both cards are mainstream GPUs, aren't they?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

3 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Yeah, nice job trying to put an unreleased chip that has 2.5X better performance per watt, built on a 14nm process

2.5X perf/watt compared to what exactly?!

32 minutes ago, zMeul said:

now it's a price bracket

Haven't found an nVidia page, but lots of reviews of the x60 class cards talk about how nVidia is bringing the card to the mainstream with its ~200 dollar price-point. The focus of "mainstream" definitely appears to be that price-point, not that performance bracket.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Haven't found an nVidia page, but lots of reviews of the x60 class cards talk about how nVidia is bringing the card to the mainstream with its ~200 dollar price-point. The focus of "mainstream" definitely appears to be that price-point, not that performance bracket.

again .. what you, me, the media considers a bracket is not the same as what nVidia or AMD does

moreover, I don't ever recall nVidia using price or even performance brackets to classify their GTX lineups

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

2.5X perf/watt compared to what exactly?!

2.5X per/watt compared to last generation AMD GPUs, and about 1.75X perf/per watt compared to Maxwell GPUs.

But I should really stop spoon-feeding you information. That is your responsibility when you're the one posting in the Tech News sub-forum.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/224773-amd-unveils-2016-gpu-roadmap-polaris-offers-2-5x-performance-per-watt-may-utilize-gddr5

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-Technologies-Group-Previews-Polaris-Architecture

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

3 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

2.5X per/watt compared to last generation AMD GPUs, and about 1.75X perf/per watt compared to Maxwell GPUs.

But I should really stop spoon-feeding you information.

I wanted you to say it to point out the calamity in your logic

the 2.5X performance increase based on the current products in the mainstream bracket, puts the Polaris 10 performance level around that of the R9 380X - nowhere near to 980Ti

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I wanted you to say it to point out the calamity in your logic

the 2.5X performance increase based on the current products in the mainstream bracket, puts the Polaris 10 performance level around that of the R9 380X

And that's not mainstream anymore. Congratulations, you just proved yourself wrong.

40 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Its called innovation. The first Pentium machines cost thousands. Imagine that now

Obviously you don't run a business lol

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

nowhere near to 980Ti

Polaris 10 is not an enthusiast grade product, nor it's ever aimed to be one. Get your facts straight.

17 minutes ago, zMeul said:

again .. what you, me, the media considers a bracket is not the same as what nVidia or AMD does

moreover, I don't ever recall nVidia using price or even performance brackets to classify their GTX lineups

Then you are no more justified in calling it a performance bracket than I am calling it a price bracket.

That said, the performance level of "mainstream" cards increases every generation. You can only really say that they won't perform as well as the x70, x80, x80ti or R9 x80/x90/fury cards. And that is nothing newsworthy (and can't be said until you have a comparison in that generation to make). You cannot speculatively compare the performance of a card that nobody has seen to a previous generation.

If AMD says a card is "mainstream", then all we have to go on is the price-point of their previous mainstream cards and their comparative performance to other cards in that generation. All we can say is that the R9 470 won't be as powerful as the R9 480, which will be less powerful than the R9 490, which will be less powerful than the R9 Vega. The R9 470 will be more powerful than the R7 450, R7 460 and R9 460X. But that says nothing about how powerful the card will actually be because we don't know how powerful the rest of the cards are.

We know that it can run Hitman at 1440p at a constant 60FPS. We know it uses less power than previous generation cards, and we know it is more powerful than a card that ran SW at 60FPS / 1080p while using less than 100W of electricity. You cannot justify comparing performance to current gen cards (and saying that the performance will be shit) based on that information. That is WCCFTech level bullshit "journalism".

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just now, Slickwicked said:

Obviously you don't run a business lol

Lol the funny thing is, most of my family does. And I know when you want stuff to sell, and you need it to sell, you sell it as cheap as possible. AMD needs a shit ton of money, and if they have to mark down their GPU that much, they will

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Polaris 10 is not an enthusiast grade product, nor it's ever aimed to be one. Get your facts straight.

If AMD says they want to make VR mainstream, they'll also make high end GPUs mainstream as well.

Spoiler

AXIOM

And that's not mainstream anymore. Congratulations, you just proved yourself wrong.

that's exactly mainstream because generations advance in performance

and I didn't proved myself wrong since Polaris 10 is classified by AMD as mainstream - just read the AMD source I posted in the topic you quoted me from:

who made that graph? I 'd do better in paint

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

20 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

If AMD says they want to make VR mainstream, they'll also make high end GPUs mainstream as well.

Yes, and that makes the enthusiast GPUs fall into the performance segment. Not make them fall 2 brackets. It would be very nice if that actually happened, but I'd wait for more confirmation.

20 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's exactly mainstream because generations advance in performance

and I didn't proved myself wrong since Polaris 10 is classified by AMD as mainstream - just read the AMD source I posted in the topic you quoted me from:

Yes, and so?

It's classified as mainstream by AMD, and that's AMD's decision. Regardless, it brings an R9 380X level performance into the mainstream bracket. What is here to not like? Isn't this generational advance in performance that you're claiming? What is wrong here?

You claimed that they are about the performance level of an R7 360. Which is clearly not the case in your own words.

28 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the 2.5X performance increase based on the current products in the mainstream bracket, puts the Polaris 10 performance level around that of the R9 380X

On 2016-04-22 at 0:35 PM, zMeul said:

what mainstream means?! well .. you're not going to like it - it's about the performance level of a R9 260X or a R7 360X

You claimed that they are about the performance level of an R7 360. Which is clearly not the case in your own words.

I never claimed that and I clarified what I said in that same topic: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/585715-amd-officially-classifies-polaris-10-as-mainstream-desktop-gpu-and-high-end-notebook-gpu/?do=findComment&comment=7638633

Just now, zMeul said:

That is Polaris 11. It's logical that Polaris 11 targets the value bracket, when Polaris 10 targets the mainstream bracket.

This is something else, and not related to your claims I quoted.

For me this looks to good to be true, but if it is, it would be amazing and I would not hesitate buying one.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

That is Polaris 11. It's logical that Polaris 11 targets the value bracket, when Polaris 10 targets the mainstream bracket.

This is something else, and not related to your claims I quoted.

because in both cases I'm not comparing performance, but the brackets current products are placed by AMD

2 hours ago, Aytex said:

If this is true i can only imagine the power of the flagships, maybe like 3x the power? lol if we can only imagine

it also consuming less TDP makes us not have to get upgraded PSU's= more money saved for us

Source

Just FYI - TDP isn't something that can be consumed like energy, it's a measure of thermal output.