PS4.5 Rumored specs + Apparently, Developers don't like PS4.5. " developers are not happy with PS4.5"

AlTech

So apparently developers don't like the PS4.5 . According to Colin Moriarty, a trusted source says that Devs aren't happy with the PS4.5 (Aka Neo) due to the increased cost of game development and now remaking their existing games for this new upcoming platform.

This is what Colin Moriarty had to say:

A trusted source tells me most developers are not happy with PS4.5, and having to develop around it. Extra cost, planning, other nonsense.

And we have the rumored specs of the PS4.5

It should roughly contain double the amount of Stream Processor and therefore, on paper anyways, should be similar to a R9 380X or R9 390. I said in "on paper" because we have a lot of variable at play.

snipperonia.PNG

Sony hasn’t officially talked about its upgraded PS4, but website Giantbomb reported some
interesting facts about the ‘Neo’ recently. If the information provided by Giantbomb is legit, Sony will be more than doubling the amount of horsepower available to developers in the upgraded version – something completely in-line with their plans to push PSVR and 4K content. Check out a comparison between the original PS4 and its upgraded counterpart down below.

Cool stuff. But that means that they'll probably sell PS4 alongside PS Neo due to pricing differences. A lot of people I know who have a PS4 may be really bummed by this.

The PS Neo will most likely be around 450 to 550 dollars while the PS4 maintains the $349 price. I expect the PS Neo to come standard with 1TB of storage. Anything else and I'll be unhappy.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Sony's last hope to make a steady profit for the next year or 2 lol

"Things we never asked for, but received anyway"

These aren't rumours are they? The specs were from alleged official sony documents given to developers. Also, the 'developers' that are annoyed about this have to be kidding, they SHOULD be developing for PC anyway which is scalable between system configurations.

EDIT: To clarify, any developer making exclusives for sony will not complain about this because they will get the funding to maximise performance in both systems anyway.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

LOL doesn't matter.

Just release they will all develop for it... they've had harder platforms in the past (PS3?).

6 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

These aren't rumours are they? The specs were from alleged official sony documents given to developers. Also, the 'developers' that are annoyed about this have to be kidding, they SHOULD be developing for PC anyway which is scalable between system configurations.

Even if it was a leak, it is always considered a rumor as:

-> Documentation can be faked or modified

-> We have nothing to backup this information

-> Specs changes on new consoles. It happens often where the dev console specs goes up or down (or a mix) at every revision as the company (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo), tries to balance the target cost and performance or feature set.

So technically, even if you had the PS4.5 dev kit in your hands, right now, you should still consider it a rumor, as you don't know the final specs.

I don't think they are bothered so much by the additional console, but rather by the fact they now have to code their games to be optimized across 2 different hardware configurations as well as be able to identify what hardware it is running on.

48 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So apparently developers don't like the PS4.5 . According to Colin Moriarty, a trusted source says that Devs aren't happy with the PS4.5 (Aka Neo) due to the increased cost of game development and now remaking their existing games for this new upcoming platform.

Does this immediately mean that the Neo will require more work for existing PS4 games to work on it? If that is the case, so much for backwards/forward compatibility then. Backwards compatibility means we do not have to buy the game again... Or does this mean that Sony is actually trying to get developers to remake their games so that the PSVR can use it? Either way, already seems like there will be a difference between both consoles and that there is no point for the PS4 when this new console comes out. Wouldn't be surprised if the PSVR was locked to the Neo and it gets ignored like the Kinect...

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Even if it was a leak, it is always considered a rumor as:

-> Documentation can be faked or modified

-> We have nothing to backup this information

-> Specs changes on new consoles. It happens often where the dev console specs goes up or down (or a mix) at every revision as the company (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo), tries to balance the target cost and performance or feature set.

So technically, even if you had the PS4.5 dev kit in your hands, right now, you should still consider it a rumor, as you don't know the final specs.

Yeah but I was under the impression sony confirmed this.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

4 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Yeah but I was under the impression sony confirmed this.

They haven't - It's all rumor/leaks at this point. Most people are guessing that if Sony really plans to do this, they'll probably announce it at E3.

1 hour ago, dragosudeki said:

Does this immediately mean that the Neo will require more work for existing PS4 games to work on it? 

It can just be that "remaking their existing games for this new upcoming platform" means games currently in development that will launch after october 2016. It's impossible that this console won't play the current game library...

Even if the rumours are true, does this mean our fellow programmers dislike optimizing for multiple platforms?

In a world where games are facing extreme competition, it's the last thing any programmer would want to do.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Yet another reason why a mid generation refresh is a mistake.

I would be mad too, if i was forced to work on an already performance constrained platform AND on a upgraded version AT THE SAME TIME! ill say every neo upgraded game will be just more of everything visually, higher res texture, higher render resolution, more post processing crap and all that shit, though im going to assume a lot of devs are going to pull a bungie and keep the same framerate on both consoles.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 hour ago, dragosudeki said:

Does this immediately mean that the Neo will require more work for existing PS4 games to work on it? If that is the case, so much for backwards/forward compatibility then. Backwards compatibility means we do not have to buy the game again... Or does this mean that Sony is actually trying to get developers to remake their games so that the PSVR can use it? Either way, already seems like there will be a difference between both consoles and that there is no point for the PS4 when this new console comes out. Wouldn't be surprised if the PSVR was locked to the Neo and it gets ignored like the Kinect...

I Think the General Rumor is that it will be based off the PS4 so that the hardware is compatible and will run the same OS so all games will play on both. But they are suppose to create a profile called Neo Mode same thing as saying very high vs medium on PC same game but two different graphical settings. which older games do not have and ones in development so all older games will not see improvement but maybe a Frame rate increase??TBD  unless specifically developed for the PS4.5 and ps4 will run the game identically 

2 hours ago, dragosudeki said:

It probably will be locked to the Neo due to the fact that PS4 is quite underpowered.

Devs need to optimize their existing titles and make sure it runs at a good setting and framerate. Other than that it shouldn't be too much work if they use x86 and AMD's GPUs as well as same PlayStation OS.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I trust anything the Pride of Long Island has to say :P (blind follower)

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It probably will be locked to the Neo due to the fact that PS4 is quite underpowered.

Devs need to optimize their existing titles and make sure it runs at a good setting and framerate. Other than that it shouldn't be too much work if they use x86 and AMD's GPUs as well as same PlayStation OS.

Idk why Devs would be mad about that part. Didn't some of the leaks/rumors/news (w/e it is at this point!) say Sony won't force devs to redo existing or currently in development games to work with the Neo? Games in those stages are upgrade optional and up to the devs to decide. And Sony keep insisting that existing games will work just fine with the new hardware and new games will be 'backwards compatible' as well

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

The devs are right. If PS4.5 have different architecture, then the devs have to develop games for PS4 AND PS4.5.

Sony, you truly suck, Just go bankrupt on the PS division and focus on camera, mp3/4, tv's and phones.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

10 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

I trust anything the Pride of Long Island has to say :P (blind follower)

Idk why Devs would be mad about that part. Didn't some of the leaks/rumors/news (w/e it is at this point!) say Sony won't force devs to redo existing or currently in development games to work with the Neo? Games in those stages are upgrade optional and up to the devs to decide. And Sony keep insisting that existing games will work just fine with the new hardware and new games will be 'backwards compatible' as well

Dude is 100% against the upgraded PS4 without any context of what it will actually do/be required to do. The only requirement for the upgraded console that I've seen is that the upgraded console has to maintain the same FPS as the original console. He's going to go with one source to support his stance, and we don't even know what that source is other than it is "trusted". Until developers themselves actually have the system, and requirements for development, in their hands I'm gonna say any opinions they have are worthless.

These teams, if they're developing for PC, are already building assets that can be used to enhance the experience for the PS Neo. Just seems like its a lot of whining, for something they're already doing other than optimizing for the new hardware, which seems like a small part in the process in comparison to developing the engine, developing the graphical assets, debugging the engine to make sure its coded correctly.

And it would be truly shocking if the PSVR requires the PS4.5. So shocking that I can guarantee that's not the case, as it would absolutely kill that market. If anything the PS4.5 will allow you to purchase a PSVR headset as a standalone, without the post-processing box.

6 minutes ago, hph6203 said:

-snips-

I was just joking. I agree with 90% of his stuff but not everything. He's been wrong about a couple things recently 

I don't think devs will be that upset about the 4.5 seeing how some were openly upset about the limitations of the 4 and Xbone; especially compared to their PC games.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Still uses those weaksauce Jaguar cores... lol. *pacepalm*

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Even if the rumours are true, does this mean our fellow programmers dislike optimizing for multiple platforms?

In a world where games are facing extreme competition, it's the last thing any programmer would want to do.

Its a small glimpse to how devs actually treat the PC platform ;) 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

If the big boost to the GPU turns out true, that's a pretty good thing. This console was never meant to play 4K games, excluding low poly stuff perhaps. The 4K capabilities will almost definitely be for 4K Blu-Rays, which are going to proliferate around the same time.

What a large-ish GPU upgrade would do, however, is at least allow most titles to play 1080p@60fps.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

Still uses those weaksauce Jaguar cores... lol. *pacepalm*

Do they really have a choice here? If they were to use another architecture, then it would become a nightmare for game developers to try to curb the issue of fragmentation. We already know that Sony is not so willing to pin this as a "next-gen" device.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

4 hours ago, dragosudeki said:

They probably mean games that are mostly complete and were ready for market release, but now need to be changed to meet the demands of the ps4k. HIGHLY doubt it has to do with already released games. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX