ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I've built 4 rigs and have never used a ESD i just make sure to ground myself when i work and avoid carpet/socks

No but I probably should.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

im beginning to think this post was a bit pointless :/

It wasn't, in fact I'm glad you made it, since I've always worried that I was an idiot for not using one!

Personally, I've never used one, though I'd like one to feel a bit more safe. For now, I only ever ground myself and stay cautious about static, since I'm too cheap to buy something I don't think I need, despite all the tech video recommendations.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

just use the old psu trick unless you always get electric shocks in your house

that's because it isn't grounded

that's because it isn't grounded

what?

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I wonder does Linus use one when he is building rigs, I know he recommends using it in his video but in real life?  

i live in an area where static is a problem so yes when i can

what?

not sure if serious.... But...

I was trying to clarify for others who may not know, the shocks thing you said, not a retort to your post. Basically if you get alot of shocks from devices attached to a grounded outlet, it is a sign there is a fault in the ground, meaning that the circuit is not properly grounded.

No. Just no.

why not, i think its helpful.. But then again when i walk across the room i get shocked on doorknobs so um yeah

I use a wireless one.

i thought they were useless and didn't work? 

When I actually do build my PC I will be using a strap just for peace of mind since it will be my first build.

If anything, this thread seems to indicate that not only can people not be bothered tying themselves to their cases while building, it's not even remotely necessary if you know what you're doing. Just ground yourself and don't rub your socks across the carpet before touching the 500 dollar GPU.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I have always maintained that static death for components is a one in a million thing, I have lost one component to static (I took all the precautions, I just didn't have the strap) and possibly more but I can't confirm if those parts were actually killed by static or something else got them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have always maintained that static death for components is a one in a million thing, I have lost one component to static (I took all the precautions, I just didn't have the strap) and possibly more but I can't confirm if those parts were actually killed by static or something else got them.

Perhaps there is a factor where people assume static killed a part that was actually DoA?

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Perhaps there is a factor where people assume static killed a part that was actually DoA?

exactly, that is why I only know of one part I've killed. And it is also possible that people have assumed DOA when the part was killed by static on first install.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I've never used and ESD wrist wrap and never lost a component to static. When I'm handling components I just touch an unpainted area of a radiator every few minutes and before picking up any parts. Also I take care not to touch the circuit boards themselves.

hey guys, im literally about to put my first build together and i dont have a anti static braclet w.e thing so im asking for some different grounding methods.

first of - what does grounding yourself actually do, what is grounding yourself?

one method ive thought of, i have a old case next to me i was wondering if i could just touch that every once in a while

also thought about putting a screw in a of wood supporting my wardrobe and touching that every few mins.. any tips and tricks are appreciated.

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

I built my PC in my bedroom which has carpet and all I did was tap my case twice I think? I was fine.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

The screw wouldn't work, the case would. One of the most surefire ways I used is to have my power-supply plugged in but turned off at the back. Then just touching it once before handling a piece of hardware is fine. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I built my PC in my bedroom which has carpet and all I did was tap my case twice I think? I was fine.

im cautious because this build is worth 2000 + nzd :S hope it goes alright about to test mobo/cpu/ram/gpu before i put it in the case :o the top of the mobo box is fine for a test bench right?

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]